Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I was thinking “what’s with all the Cloverfield Paradox hate?”, then realised I was mixing it up with 10 Cloverfield Lane which was pretty decent up until it fell off a cliff in the last 15 minutes

They did the exact same thing with that. It was an unrelated film that they added the ending to, to tie it into cloverfield. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Hey now, at least one person really liked Eternals.

(it’s me. I’m the one person.)

Cloverfield Paradox was bloody terrible though, which doesn’t fill me with hope for Cap 4.

You’re not alone. Eternals is overlong, and crams too many characters into it, but it’s a beautifully shot film and I think the a tut story was really interesting. Great cast as well. Mostly, still not a fan of Kit Harington. 

I thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was pretty meh until the mid point of the season. Now I’m really looking forward to Cap 4. Also really pleased to see that’s the version of Captain America they have to meet in the Theme Parks as well.

I'm hoping to go and see Thor tomorrow but I've heard very mixed reviews. Rather than assuming this is down to Marvel, I've kind of felt its something to do with Taika Waititi becoming insufferable and disappearing up his own arse?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

I'm hoping to go and see Thor tomorrow but I've heard very mixed reviews. Rather than assuming this is down to Marvel, I've kind of felt its something to do with Taika Waititi becoming insufferable and disappearing up his own arse?

It's not far off. The stuff they let him do in Ragnorak was so well received that they seem to have given him free reign and it's gone too far. I've seen people complain that it's a comedy, but it's not. It comes across as one of those unrated or alternative cuts of a movie, where they add in the ad-libs to make different scenes, except they used the unfunny ones. It really could have done with someone to oversee it to say 'these are your key scenes and structure, these are the scenes you can piss about in' It's 100% a movie that's been made in the edit and it shows (to the point there's a Variety clip of Taika talking and Tessa points out the shot they used of her is from a different scene and he didn't notice. I'm not sure if that's because it was shot during Covid and most of the people weren't in the same room but there's something off about the whole thing.

I have long since waited for Sandman to be made into a TV show and the pilot is mere weeks away.

Neil Gaiman was always a favourite of mine as a teen.

Reading Preacher and Sandman was always a great way to pass the time (I was never a fan of lucifer) 

Since then I’ve read most of Gaiman’s books and find most to be worth reading especially American Gods.

Sandman was always my favourite though. I love how Gaiman added Greek mythology and such in to his comics. 

Netflix are releasing the show in August 

if it’s half as good as Preacher then it’s certainly one to watch out for.

spacer.png

Edited by UnitedEmpireEra

• Paid Members

Ms Marvel last episode

As a series I really liked it. It never quite managed to re-hit the heights of the first 3 episodes and the family dynamic and community was the best part of it and genuinely felt different to everything else. When they actually started doing the superhero stuff in eps 4 and 5 it actually felt like a CW show, which isn't a knock on them, it just felt generic, especially the action and CGI. It felt very 'TV'

The lead is a natural and considering it was the first series that didn't have an established star/ character it did a great job and looking forward to seeing what they do with her. 

Also... 

Spoiler

They just casually introduced mutants into the MCU in a throwaway line and a musical cue. 

I should be looking forward to Sandman but an adaptation has been in development hell for decades and that's never a good sign. I thought American God's was dogshit, started off by nailing the vibe but quickly fell apart. Good Omens was decent and mostly worked due to the chemistry between the two leads.

I went to see Thor, it was ok. I can't really muster up much more enthusiasm about it than that so take that for what you will. You're not missing anything if you don't see it, but it passed 2 hours in a nice cold cinema.

Edited by deathrey