Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Haven't had a chance to see it yet but it's really interesting to see such different views. Even happened with some of my friends. Its either the best or worst Marvel movie apparently. I'm excited to see it. I usually go with my mum but I fully expect her to hate it.

• Paid Members

It was ok. But does anyone else feel its diminishing returns every time a Marvel film comes out now? 

I imagine that if you love the comics and know about all the different characters etc films like will be an absolute wet dream. But to us who have no idea about anything other than whats happening in the film, or has happened in previous films, I think the future is looking a bit grim.

I got completely swept up in the Infinity Saga and loved it, but now everything is getting out of hand. For 20 odd films we were introduced to a variety of characters all with their own battles but with Thanos looming over the whole thing. There was a direction and a culmination to look forward to. But now I don't see where its heading and more importantly I don't really care anymore. We've got multiple universes, variants, witchcraft, timey wimey stuff - its just getting a bit too mad and unenjoyable for me. 

Spoiler

[spoiler] The way they have to "pop the boys" every film drives me mad too. They teased Charles Xavier in the trailer and he pops up - great! Then they introduce the Fantastic 4 Dad - wahoo! But that whole section was completely pointless! They are all killed off but no problem, they will be back in a different universe! Urgh [/spoiler]

Edited by waters44

16 minutes ago, waters44 said:

It was ok. But does anyone else feel its diminishing returns every time a Marvel film comes out now? 

I imagine that if you love the comics and know about all the different characters etc films like will be an absolute wet dream. But to us who have no idea about anything other than whats happening in the film, or has happened in previous films, I think the future is looking a bit grim.

I got completely swept up in the Infinity Saga and loved it, but now everything is getting out of hand. For 20 odd films we were introduced to a variety of characters all with their own battles but with Thanos looming over the whole thing. There was a direction and a culmination to look forward to. But now I don't see where its heading and more importantly I don't really care anymore. We've got multiple universes, variants, witchcraft, timey wimey stuff - its just getting a bit too mad and unenjoyable for me.

Marvel has sort of become ‘Oz after Adebisi’ for me now. There’s still elements of it that I enjoy, but Endgame definitely felt like the culmination of the entire thing, not just the current Phase.

The fact that every man & his dog seems to have their own movie or Disney+ series now as well, I just don’t have the time to invest in watching it

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Hide contents

[spoiler] The way they have to "pop the boys" every film drives me mad too. They teased Charles Xavier in the trailer and he pops up - great! Then they introduce the Fantastic 4 Dad - wahoo! But that whole section was completely pointless! They are all killed off but no problem, they will be back in a different universe! Urgh [/spoiler]

I've never been keen on the whole multiverse thing as a whole. If anything can happen and anyone can show up anywhere anytime, and everything can be handwaved away with "because multiverse", then nothing means anything. And I don't think they've got a logic to it in the MCU. Loki was nonsense, No Way Home didn't make sense once you got over the "pop the boys" moments, and Multiverse of Madness felt like there were no stakes a lot of the time. They may yet reveal some grand plan but I'm not convinced yet.

Edit: Obviously Spider-Verse is exempt from this because it's Spider-Verse and is excellent.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

It would be nice to just get a standalone Marvel film, which you can go to and not know fuck all about the 800 films previous. I've seen most of them and even I don't care now.

I love Rami and it was nice to see the camera swerves and his touches in there. Hopefully he uses the money it will make to get us ASH V SPIDER-MAN or something

• Paid Members

I wouldnt mind if they already had established MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four and I knew Secret Wars might be on the horizon.

Finally finished Black Widow the other night and the constant upping the ante of the action is getting tiresome. Far too much convenience, people just jumping out of aircraft hoping they'll find a way of not dying before they hit the ground, normal humans without powers or magic surviving things that should kill them. I know they're making films from comics but its getting daft.

• Paid Members

Found Multiverse surprisingly pedestrian. After No Way Home and Spider-Verse, it's easily the least ambitious multiverse movie. And the one with the least madness.

I liked a lot of the Raimi touches, but it felt a bit like he was using every trick in his book to distract from a not-very-interesting story.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Chris B said:

Found Multiverse surprisingly pedestrian. After No Way Home and Spider-Verse, it's easily the least ambitious multiverse movie. And the one with the least madness.

I liked a lot of the Raimi touches, but it felt a bit like he was using every trick in his book to distract from a not-very-interesting story.

I really enjoyed it, but for a film about the Multiverse, it didn't exactly explore it much. That said, I'd still rank it as one of my favourite Marvel films. 

• Paid Members
On 5/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Chris B said:

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I really enjoyed it, but for a film about the Multiverse, it didn't exactly explore it much. That said, I'd still rank it as one of my favourite Marvel films. 

Probably just trying to get you used to a theme that will really kick off when they've done MCU versions of X-Men and Fantastic Four, with a pay off at the end of Phase 5 or 6.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...