Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dai said:

They've smashed it out of the park with the new Spider-Man. Outstanding straight from the start. Lots of credit for them delivering on the huge hype and anticipation its had for all this time.

Reveal hidden contents

The different Spider-Mans was perfectly done. Great chemisty between them all. The reaction in the cinema was insane for the reveal as well. Never heard anything in the cinema like that before, where everyone has such an amazing reaction and starts clapping. In this day and age of people having to film every moment or reaction with their phone, it was an extremely pure/honest/lovely moment the whole cinema had. Hard to have such moments like this these days. Was grinning madly for lots of parts of this, which is the greatest compliment I can give it. Watching the 'greatest hits' from years gone by with a load of other people also loving it was a great moment.

I thought it was very good, not great. When they nailed it, they nailed it and 

Spoiler

the audiences reactions for Daredevil and the other Spiders was some cheering and whoooing. But nothing like the audience reaction to Endgame. I think the issue, certainly for me, is we all knew it, and they had already revealed the villans, so it was obvious it was happening, it was more just when.

But overall I thought it was patchier then I had expected. It's biggest downfall

Spoiler

Into the Spiderverse not only happened, but is the best Spider-Man film ever. Also I thought Aunt May in this film was really off, performance and charcter wise. The Spider-Men were all great, and I was glad that Doc Ock got the ending arc he deserved.

I did still really enjoy it, but the hype didn't live up to the end for me.

It was messy  but enjoyable  for all the little bits and pieces. Certainly they nailed the 'big' moments, and that's what you need in these films. I think the three films have been the most consistent in the MCU. Certainly this was the first Marvel movie in a while I gave a shit about.

Also went well with the latest episode of Hawkeye's ending in terms of 'oh shit, they've actually done that'

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So apparently there’s a load of people booting off and sending death threats to some critic because they didn’t give the new Spider-Man a perfect review, meaning that it doesn’t have a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, because apparently that matters.

What the fucks wrong with people?

That's insane. They need to be on watch lists with behaviour like that. I certainly wouldn’t have given it a perfect review. It’s a lot of fun but it's no Spiderverse.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So apparently there’s a load of people booting off and sending death threats to some critic because they didn’t give the new Spider-Man a perfect review, meaning that it doesn’t have a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, because apparently that matters.

What the fucks wrong with people?

Only one critic deserves that, and it’s the one who gave a negative review of Paddington 2.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Only one critic deserves that, and it’s the one who gave a negative review of Paddington 2.

Well he certainly needs to be on a list at least. Proper wrong'un.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

2 hours ago, DEF said:

Well he certainly needs to be on a list at least. Proper wrong'un.

Well obviously whoever that was is a wrong’un (I bet it was Kermode) and anyone that thinks anything should be rated above Paddington 2 is a Tory

• Paid Members

Just got done watching Spider-Man, and I absolutely loved it.

My and the eldest were a little late to going to watch as she'd not seen all the Maguire films. So just in case we completed that check list.

A cracking film, and really what I want Marvel films to be.

Mid credit scene was VERY interesting indeed.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

For me the Hawkeye finale did not disapoint and is probably my favourite overall Marvel Show. The midcredit scene is a stonker as well!

The tone and pace was easily the best of the series so far. Clint got a bit more fleshed out. Kate is an actual character, rather than an 'introduce them and flesh them out at a later point'. Yelena continues to be the highlight of whatever she's in and we need more of her. 

My biggest complaint was the criminal underuse of Tony Dalton

Trick arrows FTW

• Awards Moderator

Yes, loved this and it’s by far my favourite of the TV shows. Among many other things I enjoyed - Kate Bishop is a brilliant character, Hailee Steinfeld is ace, she and Florence Pugh together was magic. More Kate Bishop please. Never would have expected a Hawkeye TV show would end up in my MCU top 10 but I’m happy it is!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Oh man. Such a good finale. And yes the mid credits. I'll watch that over and over. Really thought they did a good job with all the characters in the series. Either fleshing out existing ones or making new and interesting ones. Lots of them are up there at the top of who I want to see going forward.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have no idea who Tony Dalton is outside of this, but yes, easily a highlight of the show.

He shows up in Better Call Saul and steals the show at every chance. Any such thing as a Marvel Zoro comic? The world needs more Tony Dalton!

Hailee Steinfeld was fantastic in this show and her alone got two of my girls in to their first bit of Marvel, one of them is already begrudgingly contemplating going through the back catalogue after years of telling me she doesn’t like super hero films (she doesn’t post here).