Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Long Title thoughts:

A Marvel film with an interesting villain and personal stakes! A lot of that seems to come at the expense of boring the audience shitless if the audience I saw it with is any indicator. Possibly didn't help that Shang-Chi becomes less charismatic as the film goes on. Its the supporting cast that end up stealing this one.

Also, spoilery contemplation I guess:

Spoiler

There's an issue with Marvel now where some films feel largely inconsequential. This is a film very much about a family and grief but it was sandwiched between a trailer for The Eternals and a credit tease for Dr. Strange which clearly established them as "universe changing" movies. For some reason this film doesn't feel as important as say Black Panther or Captain Marvel. 

• Paid Members

I honestly thought Shang-Chi was the worst marvel film since Age of Ultron. Amazing choreographed fight scenes followed by dull periods of nothing interesting happening before the next fight sequence, rinse and repeat before ending with an awful CGI fight scene. Thought the guy who played Shang Chi was good for the first half, dull for the second. Massive plot holes as well. Good cast is probably the best complement I can pay it.

Also

Spoiler

Ben Kingsley’s accent was worse then Ray Winstones in Black Widow. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Watched Snake Eyes today. Enjoyed it despite what seemed to me,  a retconned origin story. I'm familiar with the Gi Joe stories that were the back up strip of UK Transformers comics.Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were/are my favourite characters. Since then. I also liked the way they handled the two characters in the earlier GI Joe movies. 

The actors are quite weak in this latest film. Nobody really stands out and holds the film together. Shame really. I was expecting a bit more. Worth a watch. 

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I honestly thought Shang-Chi was the worst marvel film since Age of Ultron. Amazing choreographed fight scenes followed by dull periods of nothing interesting happening before the next fight sequence, rinse and repeat before ending with an awful CGI fight scene. Thought the guy who played Shang Chi was good for the first half, dull for the second. Massive plot holes as well. Good cast is probably the best complement I can pay it.

Also

Hide contents

Ben Kingsley’s accent was worse then Ray Winstones in Black Widow. 

I actually loved Shang-Chi, never knew anything about the character going in, as I did for Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel and Black Panther, so the whole back story was new to me and thought it come off really well

Edited by RIDDUM_N_STYLE
Can't do spoilers for shit

Shang-Chi was awesome. Well worth the cinema trip and definitely one of their better origin efforts. Guess it depends what you're looking for, but I enjoyed not knowing much about it and the family story and thought it was a very good cast all together rather than one particular person stealing it.

• Paid Members

Really liked Shang-Chi. It has undercooked character development which is a shame. Solid B level Marvel imo.

I pretty much at least like all the MCU but the trailer for Eternals makes it look utter dogshit. I'll be happy if it's even a watchable time waster after that.

Binged all of What If..? last night. Absolutely loved it. The Doctor Strange ep was a bit dull but I had a blast with the rest. The animation is superb.

23 minutes ago, DEF said:

Binged all of What If..? last night. Absolutely loved it. The Doctor Strange ep was a bit dull but I had a blast with the rest. The animation is superb.

It's been a mixed bag. The debut episode was a fine retelling, and gave me an unhealthy crush on Captain Carter. T'Challa in Space was great, cohesive with the rest of the MCU but still taking enough radical logical turns. The murder mystery and zombie episodes were both shite, while the Dr Strange episode would've been brilliant with another 10-15 minutes. It's watchable and looks fantastic, but it doesn't seem to know who its audience demo is, and the pacing goes to pot because of the time constraints. It might be the anthology element (if it is - being the MCU, everyone's trying to work out how it all fits together or links with the films) but it feels like a series of pilots for series they want to do but don't have the backing or content for yet.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

It might be the anthology element (if it is - being the MCU, everyone's trying to work out how it all fits together or links with the films) but it feels like a series of pilots for series they want to do but don't have the backing or content for yet.

Nah never felt like that to me. Feels just like the What If..? comic crossed with the Twilight Zone. It's plausible that they could introduce elements into the MCU via Multiverse of Madness but the series isn't bound to the MCU. Marvel fans try to hard to look for meaning that isn't there. Look at the theory's banded about when WandaVision was on.

Also I loved the Zombie's one. But then I love a good Zombie movie me.

• Paid Members

The Hawkeye TV series is hopefully going to tie things together more than the other series and looks to be more grounded in the film universe. 

I know they are all supposed to be connected but Loki and Wandavision felt like they could exist on their own because of the lack of interaction with the existing world. Hawkeye seems to connect straight to the end of Black widow 

Edited by chokeout

Wandavision and Loki were both setting up for Spider-Man and Doctor Strange but I think they needed to do it in such a way that they worked on their own too. Its a tough balance. Same with the movies really. You don't want to overdo it with the interlinking to the point where you can't dip in and become a new fan at most points. Obviously something like Endgame shouldn't be a jump in point but most of the standalone ones can be while still rewarding the loyal viewers.