Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Robert Patterson looks like a good choice for Batman, but his Bruce Wayne looks like a 90's boyband member at a funeral.

I saw Venom 2. Probably the best buddy cop style movie since Midnight Run. Awful if you want a Venom movie though. Post credit scene was meh as well. Least it was under 90 minutes.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Robert Patterson looks like a good choice for Batman, but his Bruce Wayne looks like a 90's boyband member at a funeral.

Matt Reeves mentioned that they were going for a sort of reclusive pop/rock star vibe for his Bruce Wayne attitude and look so you're bang on!

Reeves is a fantastic filmmaker and Patterson already seems to have nailed the voice and is a superb actor. Looking forward to it. I hope the low down crime/serial killer vibe is what this is. I've always wanted them to do Noir Batman.

Batman on screen for better or worse is always about the villains as much as Batman and whilst Colin Farrell hamming it up in prosthetics looks great fun (still not convinced that’s actually him) Paul Dano as a weird arse Paul Dano Riddler has huge potential.

32 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Batman on screen for better or worse is always about the villains as much as Batman and whilst Colin Farrell hamming it up in prosthetics looks great fun (still not convinced that’s actually him) Paul Dano as a weird arse Paul Dano Riddler has huge potential.

I still hold out hope that one day we see a really dark Batman movie with the awesome Richard Brake cast as a really unhinged, terrifying Joker...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The guy was born to play the role.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Saw Eternals this afternoon.

There is a very cool establishing fight scene, and a fantastic (for me anyway) choice of song over the Marvel titles which had me immediately at “okay this is AWESOME I love it”.

It doesn’t quite maintain that for the rest of the film, but almost does for the most part. The “getting the band back together” portion particularly is very good.

It’s really well cast. Lots of contenders for a favourite Eternal - I’m split between Lauren Ridloff and Kumail Nanjiani. Angelina Jolie, Bryan Tyree Henry, Gemma Chan and Don Lee also all great.

There is an unnecessary decision made with the Deviants partway through that brought to mind the shitty CG orcs from The Hobbits which was unfortunate.

I loved the mythological feel that’s brought to it all through the Eternals across time - but struggled with the implications of a lot of the cosmic stuff. Can’t say more because of spoilers but that Futurama line about “that just raises further questions!” comes to mind.

On a similar note, the last act did feel more complicated than it had to be, with implications for the whole world I’m not sure my headcanon is comfortable with.

The mid credits scene will get a REACTION. No hint of a spoiler but there were gasps and laughs of amazement in the cinema and not in the way you would ever expect.

I did not understand the post credits scene and could have done with a comics nerd to explain it to me.

Overall, lots I liked but a bit of the awesomeness of the first act had been lost by the end. See in a cinema as it looks lovely - scenery and costumes both. 8/10 from me.