Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Just watched the first episode of What If... And on the whole, I really enjoyed it.

I've seen a lot of complaints that they tried to cram too much in, which was a similar thing in the original comics and you'd end up with a single change then a greatest hits of familiar scenes with a slight variation, so I'd argue that's the whole point of the episodes. Voice cast was amazing and the absent voices weren't too distracting (and one of the recasts was really well done) 

Edit: getting some very, very good actors back for a single line of dialogue, or more likely, just getting permission to lift them straight from the original movie really helped but Sebastian Stan has one of the worst delivered lines in anything I've ever seen. 

Not usually a massive fan of the cell shaded look but it worked for this and the attention to getting the original look of the locations was fantastic. 

Looking forward to the rest of the series. 

Edited by chokeout

I enjoyed the first episode, and the focus on the immediate impact worked here rather than the ripple down through mcu present day. Slightly more concerned about some of the future episodes though, T’Challa instead of Peter Quill as Starlord doesn’t grab me if it’s just focused on his story, I want to see how Wakanda deals with its crown price being abducted.

My main take was how good the animation was. I really thought it was a well done show. Being familiar with the comics it was presented in the way I thought it would be, and that probably helped with expectations.

This was one of the more logical ones. Some of the future ones sound a bit out there so could be more interesting to see where they go, or just a bit stupid. I guess we'll see.

• Paid Members

Forgot about What If will give that a crack later.

Watched The Long Halloween part 2 yesterday. Love the animation a lot but wasn't as compelled as I thought I would be from the first part. I think it probably would have been better as a tighter 2 hour film than 2 separate 70 minutes. Still the animation is wonderful. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, DEF said:

Forgot about What If will give that a crack later.

Watched The Long Halloween part 2 yesterday. Love the animation a lot but wasn't as compelled as I thought I would be from the first part. I think it probably would have been better as a tighter 2 hour film than 2 separate 70 minutes. Still the animation is wonderful. 

Was waiting for both parts to be released before I gave it a go. Will watch that tonight. 

• Paid Members

Watched The Suicide Squad. Everyone says it's considerably better than the first which makes me glad I didn't see it because I hated this. James Gunn originally being from the Troma crew I expected some inventive practical gore and gags but it was the usual CG bollocks and very unfunny stuff all round. Idris Elba was shocking. And for a film that probably cost $100 million why did it look so ugly and cheap?! 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Watched The Suicide Squad. Everyone says it's considerably better than the first which makes me glad I didn't see it because I hated this. James Gunn originally being from the Troma crew I expected some inventive practical gore and gags but it was the usual CG bollocks and very unfunny stuff all round. Idris Elba was shocking. And for a film that probably cost $100 million why did it look so ugly and cheap?! 

Spoiler

Killing the camp of resistance fighters wasn’t funny?

• Paid Members

Loved The Suicide Squad.  Uncomplicated fun. 

Spoiler

I want a Weasel movie.  Just made me laugh from the start, and the way he scuttles off at the end cracked me up.

• Paid Members

There's a rumour here that Disney are looking at buying Sony in order to get the rights to Spider-Man and the related characters. Plus because Disney are an evil empire. 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-disney-sony-spider-man.html

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

The article says they're trying to work out whether to buy the rights to Spidey, Sony's film division, or Sony. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Christ, and people already complain that all the PlayStation games are too formulaic! Surely it’d be easier to buy the rights to Spidey than it would the entire company. 

I wouldn’t be so sure. Sony sold 3 films to Netflix, one to Amazon Prime this year (all animated, but still they cost a pretty penny). What franchises do they have really outside of animation or the Spiderverse?

10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What franchises do they have really outside of animation or the Spiderverse?

Ghostbusters is the one they are hanging their hat on going forward. They did have MIB but that last one was a serious misfire.

To be honest SONY should concentrate on following somewhat the WB model and being a place where Writer/Directors can do their big films. Tarantino went with them and it came up trumps for them. Go down that route.

Also fuck off Disney.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD was decent I thought. James Gunn kinda annoys me so his films grate on me as well, but a thoroughly enjoyable ride. The DC movies are starting to feel like films I want to see given the different tones in them. Refreshing.