Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I'm sorry @gmoney but any list that has Guardians 2 over Winter Soldier should be disqualified.

And Spider-Man Homecoming. It’s the best screen representation of Peter Parker and has a great Michael Keaton turn. GotG 2, other then that opening sequence is not as great as 1.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And Spider-Man Homecoming. It’s the best screen representation of Peter Parker and has a great Michael Keaton turn. GotG 2, other then that opening sequence is not as great as 1.

GOTG 2 drags on too long for me as well. Would be more enjoyable if it was 20 minutes shorter. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, ElCece said:

GOTG 2 drags on too long for me as well. Would be more enjoyable if it was 20 minutes shorter. 

Yeah, it's not awful. But something didn't click for me. Maybe it was like you said, stretched out. I'll have to watch it again

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah, it's not awful. But something didn't click for me. Maybe it was like you said, stretched out. I'll have to watch it again

It's a decent cast just standing in a blue screen room for 2 hours moaning at each other. I thought it was a massive come-down from GotG. Jokes that don't land, puerile humour, no incident, and they undercut Drax's status as potentially the first autistic superhero to just being loud and obnoxious.

Am I the only person that liked Thor? Thor 2 was horse shit, but the original was a lot of fun.

I also thought GOTG2 was weak and dragged quite a bit and I felt the same about Antman and The Wasp. Iron Man 3 is still a blast to watch, and it’s definitely top tier Marvel for me. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Am I the only person that liked Thor? Thor 2 was horse shit, but the original was a lot of fun.

I also thought GOTG2 was weak and dragged quite a bit and I felt the same about Antman and The Wasp. Iron Man 3 is still a blast to watch, and it’s definitely top tier Marvel for me. 

I used to really like Thor, it was one of my favourites from Phase 1 at the time, but on my last watch it didn’t connect at all for me. However, we have started another MCU rewatch (at other half’s suggestion) and I found myself enjoying the first Iron Man a lot more than last time round, so maybe I’ll re-warm to Thor again.

• Paid Members

I love the Antman films - just fun outings without the whole "big bad" casting a shadow (well, not too much of one).

Must say that, much as I loved Spider-Man 2 (Alfred Molina's Doc Ock has to be the best representation ever of the character), I do think the Tom Holland films are better, and Holland himself is the best live-action Spidey so far. Most superhero films, there's often a split between who played the superhero better and who played the real identity character better. Maguire was a good Peter Parker, but not a particularly memorable Spider-Man (even with that scene with Dunst). Garfield was a pretty good Spidey, but an utterly rubbish Parker (and he was badly let down by the films' production and writing overall anyway). Holland nails both with aplomb.

52 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don’t mind the first Thor. Once you get past the fact that Hemsworth’s face looks like it’s made of straw, it’s a perfectly acceptable film

I love the first Thor. It gets the balance right between the sweeping epic nature of these grandiose superhuman beings and how one of them might fit in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Hemsworth's charisma is on full display despite having Shredded Wheat for eyebrows, Hiddleston and Hopkins give it some beans, the hero arc is simple and fun, and the wider MCU touches aren't too heavy-handed. It's very quotable among me and my brothers ("I need a horse!" "HEEEEEEEEEEY!" "Tell meEeeEEeeeeeeEEE!"). Idris Elba does tons with a few looks as the all-seeing sentry stuck at the edge of Asgard. No one gets hit by a reversing truck like our man Chris. The death of the Bifrost looks spectacular and sounds agonising. Definitely a solid top-half of the table finisher.

Thor is a strange one to watch back considering where the character/franchise has gone from there, but I do love the epic Shakespearean feel of it. It's one of those films that feels like it pushes the boundaries of what everyone expected from a 'comic book' movie. Same with Winter Soldier. I like that they can take these characters and use them in different ways and different 'genres' within their general comic book-ness.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The "Snyder cut" has finally been announced for release, they're going to put it on HBO Max. Awesome news.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zack-snyder-release-the-snyder-cut-justice-league-hbo-max-1234611928/

I can't wait for it to come out, be absolute fucking garbage and give me the pleasure of watching a million virgins doing gymnastics trying to explain how it's not empty soulless wank, but the real vision of a true auteur.