Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I'd say Thor, Thor 2 and Incredible Hulk are the only actively bad MCU films. The first Captain America is borderline because after a strong start it dips massively, but I think all the USO type stuff is enough to keep it above water. I think the second one is great fun personally. 

Thor 2 is definitely the worst so far. "Trust my rage." Fuck off.

Iron Man 2 is the worst of the three, but purely because it doesn't really go anywhere. It's pretty much just there to set up a bunch of other MCU stuff, relying on RDJ's charisma and ScarJo in leather to get by. It's entertaining, but very by-the-numbers. I also WAY prefer grumpy Cheadle to tired-baby-eyes Howard as Rhodey.

Wasn't Cap 2 The Winter Soldier? How can you call that a slog? It's bloody ace from start to finish. "You're a lot heavier than you look." "Well, I had a big breakfast." That's my Cap.

• Paid Members

Iron Man 3 is pretty ropey imo. Cap is borderline but Winter Soldier is top tier marvel. It's a superb action/spy thriller.

• Moderators

Anyone defending Don Cheadle's acting cannot be trusted.

Anyway - yeah. I didn't like iron man 3 much, but it wasn't the Mandarin thing for me at all. It was just a bit of a shit story, particularly in its conclusion and the whole thing with the other suits. It felt a bit dumb and out of character.

• Awards Moderator

I rewatched them all a year or two ago in preparation for Infinity War. As far as the Iron Mans go, 3 was by far my favourite. 1 is starting to show its age (not in effects but certainly in the attitude to women) and 2 was the only film out of all of them where my attention waned completely. Incredible Hulk is immediately forgettable but I know I watched the whole thing; can’t say that for Iron Man 2. I’d also stick the first Ant-Man, Dark World and Guardians 2 near the bottom of my list.

At the top is some mix of Guardians 1, Avengers Assemble and Infinity War. I’m also one of those weirdos who bloody loves The First Avenger which is still hanging in there in my top 5. 

I’d also agree that they’ve got consistently better as they’ve gone on - despite there being two Phase 1s in my top 5. Both the Spider-Mans, Civil War and Black Panther can bother the final top 5 spot depending on the day of the week and my mood at any given hour.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Iron Man 3 is absolutely brilliant. It utterly fucks off the Iron Man suit for an hour and has Tony being brilliant. It also has a great turn from that kid, where he and Tony's relationship is sweet but not sentimental at all.

The twist is great, the bit where Tony and Rodey are essentially doing Lethal Weapon for 20 minutes.

The end lets it down, but it has to happen as its a Marvel film. I love it as a film. Great script from Black.

• Paid Members

I find Tony Stark to be borderline unbearable most of the time so I don't massively enjoy any of the Iron Man films. The only film that can stick with Iron Man 2 regarding badness is Thor dark world.

I'm another one surprised anyone can dislike Winter Solider. Each to there own but it's my favourite. 

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

This is the proper order by the way if you want to print it off for reference. I've never seen Iron Man 3 or Spider Man: Far from Home, so they're not included in the offical listings.  

Quality

Avengers: Infinity War

Guardians of the Galaxy

Thor: Ragnarok 

Avengers: Endgame

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Black Panther

No Bad

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Captain America: Civil War

The Avengers

Doctor Strange

Ant Man and the Wasp

Ant Man

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Iron Man

Steward's Enquiry 

Captain America

Spider Man: Homecoming

Captain Marvel 

Iron Man 2

Shite

Thor 

Thor 2

The Incredible Hulk

• Paid Members

Captain America 1 is my favourite and I love Thor 1 as well, they start to feel like episodes of a big TV show by stage 3 and some like antman and antman 2 are just filler with not much going for them creatively.  Civil War, Spidey 1, Infinity war and Ragnarok were standouts for me too.

I like the MCU Spidey but for me he's suffered from being too connected to the other films, it's stifled him a bit, I'd prefer the rights had gone back to Sony. I enjoyed far from home but my sister who loved Spider-Man as a kid wanted to watch it and I told her it wouldn't make any sense unless she watched half a dozen other Marvel movies first which is pretty shit really.