Jump to content

Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't wait for it to come out, be absolute fucking garbage and give me the pleasure of watching a million virgins doing gymnastics trying to explain how it's not empty soulless wank, but the real vi

Superhero films exist, which is fine I suppose. But do they have to take suck up every screen at both my locals on a Saturday? I had a Saturday afternoon and evening free, and hoped to watch Fighting

About 20 years ago there was (I think) a Bleeding Cool article about how Warner Brothers didn't want to make a Batman vs Superman film because it was their two biggest franchises and they didn't want

Posted Images

I really enjoyed the Joker film. I'm not by any means a comic book fan or even a big batman fan so viewing as a 'casual' I enjoyed getting to know how Joker became who is he (whether the film is the same as comics/other films I don't know) and enjoyed his journey through the film. Although I knew about the parents being shot (Batman), I didn't expect to see this happen during the film or for him to even interact with Bryce Wayne so that was a surprise to me. Didn't expect to see someone in a Joker mask kill them anyway. As I said though I have only watched the films so am probably miles off with everything. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 episodes in, but so far Amazon's Swamp Thing is surprisingly good.

Good cast (Jennifer Beale!) and a decent storyline that isn't totally obvious.  Bit southern gothic, bit monster movie, not much superhero so far which is nice 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I really enjoyed the Joker film. I'm not by any means a comic book fan or even a big batman fan so viewing as a 'casual' I enjoyed getting to know how Joker became who is he (whether the film is the same as comics/other films I don't know) and enjoyed his journey through the film. Although I knew about the parents being shot (Batman), I didn't expect to see this happen during the film or for him to even interact with Bryce Wayne so that was a surprise to me. Didn't expect to see someone in a Joker mask kill them anyway. As I said though I have only watched the films so am probably miles off with everything. 

 

There is no definitive Joker origin in comics, it’s been retold a number of times. Same with Batman himself, although the death of his parents is always at the core of things.

The struggling Comedian angle used in this film is inspired by The Killing Joke from 1988, but even that is different to what you see in Joker. In Killing Joke he’s stuggling to support himself and has a pregnant wife, eventually getting roped into being an accessory to robbery for gangsters. Joker is more or less a fresh take on the character’s origin and explores a mental health/abuse side of him rather than him being dropped in chemicals or just plain nutty

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There is no definitive Joker origin in comics, it’s been retold a number of times. Same with Batman himself, although the death of his parents is always at the core of things.

The struggling Comedian angle used in this film is inspired by The Killing Joke from 1988, but even that is different to what you see in Joker. In Killing Joke he’s stuggling to support himself and has a pregnant wife, eventually getting roped into being an accessory to robbery for gangsters. Joker is more or less a fresh take on the character’s origin and explores a mental health/abuse side of him rather than him being dropped in chemicals or just plain nutty

I think it's The Killing Joke in which the Joker actually says "If I have to have a past, I'd rather it was multiple choice". We're not supposed to know what his actual origins are, mainly because even he doesn't. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter to him - he doesn't care, and he's the ultimate liar anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I think it's The Killing Joke in which the Joker actually says "If I have to have a past, I'd rather it was multiple choice". We're not supposed to know what his actual origins are, mainly because even he doesn't. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter to him - he doesn't care, and he's the ultimate liar anyway.

That was your Starter For 10, and these Bonuses are on Condiment King Puns

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
On 10/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Loki said:

2 episodes in, but so far Amazon's Swamp Thing is surprisingly good.

Good cast (Jennifer Beale!) and a decent storyline that isn't totally obvious.  Bit southern gothic, bit monster movie, not much superhero so far which is nice 

Worked through this yesterday, really enjoyed it.

 

Just finished episode 1 of Watchmen. Strong start, cant wait for the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to see Joker yesterday having managed to pretty much avoid all talk about it online, so I went in with a clear head and no preconceptions.

Fucking loved it. The build to the point where he's wearing that awesome suit and is dancing down the stairs is one of those movie-moments that will stick with me for years to come. His insane laugh throughout the movie was brilliant as well.

Phoenix was awesome as the character, right down to his broken physical appearance. I'm not really a fan of superhero movies, but I thought this was insanely good. Really enjoyed it, and glad I went to the cinema to see it and didn't just wait until it comes out on Amazon or whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

Just got done with the first episode of Swamp Thing. A bit bloody good. Really looking forward to the rest of it. A damn shame they cancelled it but at least they finished the season. It's got me itching to read Alan Moore's run again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...