Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I really enjoyed the Joker film. I'm not by any means a comic book fan or even a big batman fan so viewing as a 'casual' I enjoyed getting to know how Joker became who is he (whether the film is the same as comics/other films I don't know) and enjoyed his journey through the film. Although I knew about the parents being shot (Batman), I didn't expect to see this happen during the film or for him to even interact with Bryce Wayne so that was a surprise to me. Didn't expect to see someone in a Joker mask kill them anyway. As I said though I have only watched the films so am probably miles off with everything.Ā 

Ā 

2 episodes in, but so far Amazon's Swamp Thing is surprisingly good.

Good cast (Jennifer Beale!) and a decent storyline that isn't totally obvious. Ā Bit southern gothic, bit monster movie, not much superhero so far which is niceĀ 

4 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I really enjoyed the Joker film. I'm not by any means a comic book fan or even a big batman fan so viewing as a 'casual' I enjoyed getting to know how Joker became who is he (whether the film is the same as comics/other films I don't know) and enjoyed his journey through the film. Although I knew about the parents being shot (Batman), I didn't expect to see this happen during the film or for him to even interact with Bryce Wayne so that was a surprise to me. Didn't expect to see someone in a Joker mask kill them anyway. As I said though I have only watched the films so am probably miles off with everything.Ā 

Ā 

There is no definitive Joker origin in comics, itā€™s been retold a number of times. Same with Batman himself, although the death of his parents is always at the core of things.

The struggling Comedian angle used in this film is inspired by The Killing Joke from 1988, but even that is different to what you see in Joker. In Killing Joke heā€™s stuggling to support himself and has a pregnant wife, eventually getting roped into being an accessory to robbery for gangsters.Ā Joker is more or less a fresh take on the characterā€™s origin and explores aĀ mental health/abuse side of him rather than him being dropped in chemicals or just plain nutty

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There is no definitive Joker origin in comics, itā€™s been retold a number of times. Same with Batman himself, although the death of his parents is always at the core of things.

The struggling Comedian angle used in this film is inspired by The Killing Joke from 1988, but even that is different to what you see in Joker. In Killing Joke heā€™s stuggling to support himself and has a pregnant wife, eventually getting roped into being an accessory to robbery for gangsters.Ā Joker is more or less a fresh take on the characterā€™s origin and explores aĀ mental health/abuse side of him rather than him being dropped in chemicals or just plain nutty

I think it'sĀ The Killing JokeĀ in which the Joker actually says "If I have to have a past, I'd rather it was multiple choice". We're not supposed to know what his actual origins are, mainly because evenĀ heĀ doesn't. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter to him - he doesn't care, and he's the ultimate liar anyway.

17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I think it'sĀ The Killing JokeĀ in which the Joker actually says "If I have to have a past, I'd rather it was multiple choice". We're not supposed to know what his actual origins are, mainly because evenĀ heĀ doesn't. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter to him - he doesn't care, and he's the ultimate liar anyway.

That was your Starter For 10, and these Bonuses are on Condiment King Puns

• Paid Members
On 10/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Loki said:

2 episodes in, but so far Amazon's Swamp Thing is surprisingly good.

Good cast (Jennifer Beale!) and a decent storyline that isn't totally obvious. Ā Bit southern gothic, bit monster movie, not much superhero so far which is niceĀ 

Worked through this yesterday, really enjoyed it.

Ā 

Just finished episode 1 of Watchmen. Strong start, cant wait for the rest.

Went to see Joker yesterday having managed to pretty much avoid all talk about it online, so I went in with a clear head and no preconceptions.

Fucking loved it. The build to the point where he's wearing that awesome suit and is dancing down the stairs is one of those movie-moments that will stick with me for years to come. His insane laugh throughout the movie was brilliant as well.

Phoenix was awesome as the character, right down to his broken physical appearance. I'm not really a fan of superhero movies, but I thought this was insanely good. Really enjoyed it, and glad I went to the cinema to see it and didn't just wait until it comes out on Amazon or whatever.

• Paid Members

Just got done with the first episode of Swamp Thing. A bit bloody good. Really looking forward to the rest of it. A damn shame they cancelled it but at least they finished the season. It's got me itching to read Alan Moore's run again.