Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
On 9/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, TheToeSucker said:

Ooooor its because they were being greedy. Anyhoo, Good for them, not really bothered about seeing more solo Spidey films, I wanna see him in Venom 2 though

\

I’m more concerned someone is really wanting to see a Venom 2 (whilst the end result was nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated, it’s not the Venom movie I wanted, and more proof Sony aren’t deserving of the Spider-Man franchise. At least for live action). 

My guess is they will use this deal to close the loop on MCU involvement. It’s too risky now for them to carry on with the relationship with Sony.

• Awards Moderator

I read a Hollywood Reporter article this morning that speculated the announcement of a Madame Web movie just before the Spidey news broke could suggest that her powers will be a way for Tom Holland to exist in the MCU and the Sony-verse without simultaneously. That was the gist of it anyway, but it seemed to make sense from the very little I know of Madame Web.

• Paid Members

Keeping the talk Spidey-related, I watched Into The Spiderverse for the first time last night and it's honestly my favourite Spiderman movie. It's so, so good and all the little nods and details make for wonderful veiwing. I couldn't look away, even for a second.

Edited by Accident Prone

I’ll whack it in here as I don’t want to incur the wrath of the superhero haters, but just got back from taking the 6 year old to see Marvel Live at the O2. She and I both absolutely loved it. Great seats as well. 

7-DD55-B9-E-A10-C-472-C-92-B9-8-EE4-BDBA

Pure cheese on toast, but a really enjoyable 1 hour and 40ish. Hilarious how much they were trying to get The Wasp over, most of the kids had no interest in her whatsoever.

Also, Rocket Raccoon hit a sweet hurancanrana that I marked out for, so currently wondering which BritWres shitarse is moonlighting in it at the moment.

Well worth seeing. 11/10

Edited by SuperBacon

My little brother won't watch most films or tv shows because they're *"made up shit". Instead he watches engineering documentaries and such. He did love ultra gritty realistic brit gangster film Essex Boys though.

*He wasn't a prodigal striker for Liverpool at the turn of the century.

• Paid Members

Martin Scorcese has got a point that superhero films aren't exactly important challenging cinema but he'd be better off just saying he hated them and thought they were all shit than this gatekeeping nonsense;

"It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being" 

It's not, but when was that what a film has to be about? 

It's kind of like saying "comic books aren't literature".  Well, no, they're something else entirely.  

What's interesting is when a film manages to be both a rollercoaster AND an amazing piece of cinematic art, like Mad Max: Fury Road. And with the greatest of respect to ol' Marty, I suspect he wouldn't even know where to start making a movie like that.

I think it's under appreciated how fucking complex a modern, CGI heavy blockbuster is to make, the number of people involved and time spent.  A director on a film like that is basically running a company of 500 people, trying to keep them all on track towards a common goal, and hoping that the end result kind of works.  I'm currently working on a project with about 70 minutes of CGI footage, and it's an absolute nightmare - cutting and recutting effects to new shots, dealing with constantly changing animation, lighting, costumes, lipsync, all with a clock ticking towards release and a lot of nervous people spending a LOT of money.

When it's in the can we'll all pretend it was a coordinated effort to create something artistic but at the moment it's like a vast cat-wrangling exercise.