Sign in to follow this  
Bellenda Carlisle

Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

I just finished "the boys" i really really enjoyed it. I had not seen the comics before so went in with no real expectations. Looking forward to season 2 when ever it drops.    

4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's been a huge success already it seems, so thankfully we won't get blue balled and if anything they'll get more budget.

Im trying to not look to much up as i dont want to run into spoilers. Is it a long running comic? IE do they have a ton of material to move on with?

There's 12 trade paperbacks worth of material, so plenty there for them to work from. And it is finished so there is an ending written.

I'm pretty early in the series full though so I don't know how much they are sticking to the overall arcs from the comics, but a lot of the detail had been changed already.

Edit: looks like not much, from chokeout's post

Edited by Chest Rockwell

2 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Im trying to not look to much up as i dont want to run into spoilers. Is it a long running comic? IE do they have a ton of material to move on with?

They've taken the basic idea from the comic and gone in a new direction so i wouldn't be too worried about that

So I've just watched the latest offering from the animated DCU Batman:Hush and I fully expect it pissed a lot of fans off. I read the book over the last day so it was fresh in my memory. I didn't really care for it the first time round but I warmed to it this time. It's certainly not in the league of the true classic Batman stories but it's fun and plays with most of the rogues gallery.

For my money a story like Hush should have been treated like Dark Knight or Killing Joke and left out of the ADCU continuity.

However there is amazing short film on the Blu-ray, DC Showcase Sgt. Rock. I knew next to nothing about Sgt Rock before watching and assumed it was just one of those long forgotten war comics from back in the day. I'm defo going to check the comic out now because it has bags of fun written all over it

The film outright changes and takes huge short cuts with a whole lot of stuff to fit into the the ADCU Batman continuity. Outright changing the villains and motivations.

The thing is if they utilized the internal monologue like they did with Year One they could have made it much deeper experience and still kept the changes. The book uses those monologues to really give the story its weight. Without it it shallows an already massively truncated version of the narrative.

As I said I can take or leave the book compared to others but I know that other people are very fond of it and I know for sure they won't be satisfied. 

For my money a story like Hush should have been treated like Dark Knight or Killing Joke and left out of the ADCU continuity.

However there is amazing short film on the Blu-ray, DC Showcase Sgt. Rock. I knew next to nothing about Sgt Rock before watching and assumed it was just one of those long forgotten war comics from back in the day. I'm defo going to check the comic out now because it has bags of fun written all over it.

Edited by DEF

Quite a lot happening in the superhero world since the UKFF went down.

- Spider-Man's out of the MCU, which is very disappointing.

- Kit Harington, Gemma Chan and Barry Keoghan are all in Eternals now.

- More Disney+ series, including SHE-HULK!!!

- and Black Panther 2 has a release date.

To be honest I'm completely burnt out on the MCU.

Decided to get back into Gotham and completely embracing it's comic book goofiness post season one, is the best move it made.

A crime license is so dumb it's actually brilliant.

Might actually be my favourite interpretation of the Batman universe in many ways. But I'm no comic book purist so don't give a toss about changes so long as I'm enjoying the final product.

I’m a huge fan of the MCU, yet I feel all this additional content on Disney+ is too much on top of the films

Too much? They've got a huge amount of characters. It's a great way of dealing with some of the ones that they're not sure about launching movies for. They've got to move forward from the older characters in some way. I imagine we've been through the golden Marvel age now but they're hardly going to give up. I'd much rather they did what they're doing now than we suffer a bazillion reboots - although obviously we're getting some of those.

It's the best place for it as well, nobody is buying Disney+ who isn't already fan of at least 1 of the 3 brands and it's on demand so you can watch at your leisure or binge if that's the preference. It's also giving Marvel a platform to build longer stories for their B/C list characters who would suffer having everything jammed into a 2hr movie - and also those who probably wouldn't warrant a solo movie without significantly bumping up their status within the Marvel universe such as Single Female Lawyer Hulk.

Since it's streaming shows it doesn't all have to be for everyone. Ms. Marvel is unlikely to be aimed at you and I any more than Spidey and his Amazing Friends will be on Disney Junior. This is more akin to their comic universe, you can pick and choose what titles you read, sometimes we'll get crossovers and team-ups, and sometimes the big event comics will have spin-off titles.

Don't come in this thread much but wanted to lend my support to The Boys, possibly the first great Amazon Prime show. 

It's a fantastic antidote to the superhero overkill we are all having to endure everywhere, and Homelander might be the greatest superhero ever committed to celluloid. Thumbs up from me.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, DavidB6937 said:

Too much? They've got a huge amount of characters. It's a great way of dealing with some of the ones that they're not sure about launching movies for. They've got to move forward from the older characters in some way. I imagine we've been through the golden Marvel age now but they're hardly going to give up. I'd much rather they did what they're doing now than we suffer a bazillion reboots - although obviously we're getting some of those.

They have. But do they all need their own show's? Can't they just make cameos? Can you imagine if they decided characters in The Simpson's should all have their own spin off shows (I don't mean like the classic episode), but you know what I mean? Just because you have this huge roster doesn't mean they all need their own shows. Especially if they are all going to tie into the MCU as well. If it's not, that's fine.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They have. But do they all need their own show's? Can't they just make cameos? Can you imagine if they decided characters in The Simpson's should all have their own spin off shows (I don't mean like the classic episode), but you know what I mean? Just because you have this huge roster doesn't mean they all need their own shows. Especially if they are all going to tie into the MCU as well. If it's not, that's fine.

If a character is big enough to have its own long running comic book then there's absolutely no reason not to make TV and Film with it.

There's literally decades of narratives, art and design to cherry pick.

Interlectual properties like that are worth their weight in gold on business level. I don't really know why a fan wouldn't want fully realised versions of these characters other than they don't really want to watch them. In which case don't, nobody's forcing you.

Disney are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Disney+ so that it can rival Netflix. Marvel will be absolutely key to that. Straight off the bat by announcing just one of these shows they get my money for sure.

Talking of Disney+ does anyone know of a UK start date?

Edited by DEF

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

All the character’s could just make cameo’s, but Disney need to create new Marvel content (and specifically content that tie’s into the film’s, as that’s where most fan’s are invested) to drive subscriber’s to their new streaming platform. What show’s are you suggesting they make instead of utilising these lower tier character’s? They’ve also got stuff coming out on there with character’s from the big film’s, like Loki, Hawkeye, and Captain America’s two mate’s.

Edited by King Pitcos