Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Just like the WWE Network, then…

Well we will see. The Network practically begged you to sub with a vpn.

• Paid Members

Captain America has cartoons and films between the 60s and 90’s. Iron Man had a cartoon in the 90’s. Thor had shown up in cartoons and The Incredible Hulk live action series. They may not have been SuperMan and Batman levels of household names, but they were pretty well know 

I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but after all the comic book movies we've had over the past decade or so, I'm really excited for something different with Joker. I love the character and so any new twist on it is welcome. It's already infinitely better than anything Jared Leto did with it.

Yeah I loved that trailer. An utterly different feel and I loved that they've lent into The King Of Comedy.

You know Phoenix is going to nail it even if the film is just OK. He's got a very underrated grasp of comedy which people often ignore. But there are some genuinely physical funny moments from him in The Master (the hit of the lamp for one)

Plus, it looks beautifully shot.

One thing I took from the Joker trailer is that all the madness seems to be happening around him. He's not actually involved. I wonder if the film will end up being about one man associating himself with basically a revolutionary meme, whilst not actually being an instigator or participant. He's depressive, sociopathic and victimised, but at no point does he appear to be a mastermind. It looks like a different take, but on the idea rather than the character.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I can’t think about Spidey without remembering when he was announced for Civil War I mistakenly thought they were going to follow the comic and have Peter unmask on TV supporting Tony and the Superhero Registration Act. Although really this only serves to make me pine even more for The Fantastic Four not being in the MCU by the time they attempted Civil War. Reed and Sue broke up over it!

Anyhoo regardless of other studios ability to create good films with the characters as Sony did (mostly) with Spidey and Fox (occasionally) with X-Men, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and Holland’s Spider-Man has been really rewarding but the “shared universe” stuff enhanced the appeal massively. I’ve seen a lot of bitching on Twitter about this but I’m sure it’s just because hating Disney is the new in thing because it’s cool or they ruined Star Wars or something.