Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Moderators

Couple episodes into the The Boys now. The accent is very poor but really enjoying it. Of course it's toned down from the books, but it had to be. I think they've done a really good job. Well done Amazon for finally having a show I want to watch.

I've had Prime just for deliveries for years and they recently literally had to pay me to watch their streaming service that I was already paying for - they sent me a promotion saying they'd give me a £5 Amazon voucher if I watched anything on Prime, and even then I still couldn't be bothered.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Couple episodes into the The Boys now. The accent is very poor but really enjoying it. Of course it's toned down from the books, but it had to be. I think they've done a really good job. Well done Amazon for finally having a show I want to watch.

I've had Prime just for deliveries for years and they recently literally had to pay me to watch their streaming service that I was already paying for - they sent me a promotion saying they'd give me a £5 Amazon voucher if I watched anything on Prime, and even then I still couldn't be bothered.

The Tick is well worth a watch. Much improved in season 2 mind and now cancelled so not much to watch

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's been a huge success already it seems, so thankfully we won't get blue balled and if anything they'll get more budget.

Im trying to not look to much up as i dont want to run into spoilers. Is it a long running comic? IE do they have a ton of material to move on with?

• Moderators

There's 12 trade paperbacks worth of material, so plenty there for them to work from. And it is finished so there is an ending written.

I'm pretty early in the series full though so I don't know how much they are sticking to the overall arcs from the comics, but a lot of the detail had been changed already.

Edit: looks like not much, from chokeout's post

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Im trying to not look to much up as i dont want to run into spoilers. Is it a long running comic? IE do they have a ton of material to move on with?

They've taken the basic idea from the comic and gone in a new direction so i wouldn't be too worried about that

• Paid Members

So I've just watched the latest offering from the animated DCU Batman:Hush and I fully expect it pissed a lot of fans off. I read the book over the last day so it was fresh in my memory. I didn't really care for it the first time round but I warmed to it this time. It's certainly not in the league of the true classic Batman stories but it's fun and plays with most of the rogues gallery.

For my money a story like Hush should have been treated like Dark Knight or Killing Joke and left out of the ADCU continuity.

However there is amazing short film on the Blu-ray, DC Showcase Sgt. Rock. I knew next to nothing about Sgt Rock before watching and assumed it was just one of those long forgotten war comics from back in the day. I'm defo going to check the comic out now because it has bags of fun written all over it

The film outright changes and takes huge short cuts with a whole lot of stuff to fit into the the ADCU Batman continuity. Outright changing the villains and motivations.

The thing is if they utilized the internal monologue like they did with Year One they could have made it much deeper experience and still kept the changes. The book uses those monologues to really give the story its weight. Without it it shallows an already massively truncated version of the narrative.

As I said I can take or leave the book compared to others but I know that other people are very fond of it and I know for sure they won't be satisfied. 

For my money a story like Hush should have been treated like Dark Knight or Killing Joke and left out of the ADCU continuity.

However there is amazing short film on the Blu-ray, DC Showcase Sgt. Rock. I knew next to nothing about Sgt Rock before watching and assumed it was just one of those long forgotten war comics from back in the day. I'm defo going to check the comic out now because it has bags of fun written all over it.

Edited by DEF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Quite a lot happening in the superhero world since the UKFF went down.

- Spider-Man's out of the MCU, which is very disappointing.

- Kit Harington, Gemma Chan and Barry Keoghan are all in Eternals now.

- More Disney+ series, including SHE-HULK!!!

- and Black Panther 2 has a release date.

To be honest I'm completely burnt out on the MCU.

Decided to get back into Gotham and completely embracing it's comic book goofiness post season one, is the best move it made.

A crime license is so dumb it's actually brilliant.

Might actually be my favourite interpretation of the Batman universe in many ways. But I'm no comic book purist so don't give a toss about changes so long as I'm enjoying the final product.