Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Following the Tintin and AstĆ©rix discussion in the DVD/Film thread, it got me thinking about my childhood and some of the stuff I got to read that made it over from France & Belgium. French A4 large-format comic books have a strong tradition, and I still have my copies ofĀ Lucky Luke,Ā The Smurfs,Ā Tintin, AstĆ©rix, andĀ Les Tuniques BleuesĀ (now being printed asĀ The Bluecoats), which, for some reason, didn't really make it over here in its original form, but did as the video gameĀ North & SouthĀ on all those non-PC formats in the 80s like ZX Spectrum, Amiga, Atari ST, CPC, etc.

I also have a load of ones that were popular in France, but almost nowhere else, likeĀ Boule et Bill (sort of like a French Calvin & HobbesĀ except Boule is a dog),Ā Chafouin et Balouchon (two scheming alley cats, one fat and greedy, the other thin and cunning),Ā and one of my favourites,Ā Gaston, about Gaston LaGaffe, a hapless office worker who's sort of anĀ idiot savant, in that he's always coming up with creative ideas, usually to skive off, but often to help with office efficiency, but ends up causing chaos when he invariably implements them cack-handedly or inappropriately. In fact, the only time his inventions work is when he regularly outwits the parking attendant who obsessively prowls around outside his office to finally give him the ticket he's been so desperate to serve him for all the times he's parked illegally there.

See below the results of when he comes up with the "combination office desk and heating system" for the winter months (you don't really need to be able to speak French, but in the last panel, he's saying "Nothing would've happened if you didn't just sit wherever...") :

Photo%20Gaston%20Hors-serie%20Philosophi

Ā 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's amazing how many languages they're translated into and sold all around the continent. I've got three copies ofĀ Asterix in Britain, in English, French, and German (I can't speak German, but it was a lovelyĀ present from a German family friend who got the impression I collected all the versions I could). I even found a Gaelic copy in Dillons bookshop once.

Gaston's current appearance is a bit more boyish, but I personally preferred the 60s version above, especially the one with the fag hanging out of his mouth - looked like he was based on Serge Gainsbourg.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

He was inĀ Byker GroveĀ for a cup of coffee, so chances are if you don't remember him, he wasn't terrible enough to stand out.

He did a decent Geordie accent in Byker Grove, as well. I think he went straight to America after Queer as Folk, and his actual voice now is his voice in Sons of Anarchy, I think.

• Paid Members

His accent did seem to get audibly better as SOA went on, in proportion to how much the series itselfĀ deteriorated.

Edited by Carbomb

I must admit I marked a little when I heard. They say it'll be an aged Batman, obviously, and Conroy's gauntness could be a weird look. I would like the idea of him going full-on armoured Bats like in the Dark Knight comic. They've even got Brandon Routh back in the Cape as an alternate Supes. I've not got into the CW series beyond Melissa Benoist's thigh gap, but I'm definitely tempted to check in on this crossover.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I must admit I marked a little when I heard. They say it'll be an aged Batman, obviously, and Conroy's gauntness could be a weird look. I would like the idea of him going full-on armoured Bats like in the Dark Knight comic. They've even got Brandon Routh back in the Cape as an alternate Supes. I've not got into the CW series beyond Melissa Benoist's thigh gap, but I'm definitely tempted to check in on this crossover.

Thereā€™s rumours of Linda carter playing Wonder Woman and a Burt ward Robin appearance as well.Ā 

• Paid Members

They are doing a version of Crisis on Infinite Earths, a massive crossover event from DC in the 1980s. Long story short is a huge villain destroys different realities, trying to utterly destroy the Multiverse. So you have multiple version of all the heroes teaming up to try to stop him. So they are using people who have played different heroes on film and TV to bring it all together like in the comic series. I'd been hoping for this for years!Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's a bit like DC have realised they're not going to be able to pull off the Infinity War/Endgame thing with their movie output, so they're trying to do their own version with the best thing they do have, which is their TV output. It's a smart strategy, and as a DC fan I really hope it comes off.