Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh wow, that is damning, a comparison to Hunnam.

It's nowhere near peak Hunnam. They should have just let him use his actual accent, him being British doesn't really add to the character and his kiwi accent would have worked fine.Ā 

I'm 4 episodes in and I'm liking it so far. Can see why Americans wouldn't like it, it's very anti corporation but never manages to go fully Robocop in its cynicism, which it would really benefit from.

8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh wow, that is damning, a comparison to Hunnam.

Itā€™s distracting me the whole time. There have been loads of bad cockney accents in films and TV, butĀ Iā€™ve never heard someone do a bad cockney accent the same way that Hunnam did it, until now. Itā€™s baffling here, as well. Green Street was made for fuck all money really and they couldnā€™t afford a dialect coach, whereas The Boys has got some good wedge behind it.

12 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I've read some more reviews on IMDB of The Boys, and a fair few folk are rating it very low due to all the (apparent) left-wing politics and anti-America sentiments, so I'll definitely be watching now.

The trailer does Karl Urban's accent no favours though.

Iā€™ve just watched the first episode and while Karl Urbanā€™s accentĀ isĀ definitely distracting I did enjoy the show. Itā€™s worth trying.Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Ā The worst cockney accent ever is Don Cheadle's.

Ā 

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

No, it's Hunnam.

Dick Van Dyke inĀ Mary Poppins, surely? The epitome of "What the fuck was that?"

• Paid Members

It's Hunnan. The least convincing British accent from a British actor of all time.

Finished The Boys last night. It was enjoyable, not as edgy as it thinks it is, although the episode at the religious festival was intentionally trying to bait middle America. I really hope they try and push it a little more in the next series.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Dick Van Dyke inĀ Mary Poppins, surely? The epitome of "What the fuck was that?"

Ah, but he also played the old man in charge of the bank and the accent was spot on, so it was a characterisation. Ā Plus Hunnam actually being English wins him the prize.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah, but he also played the old man in charge of the bank and the accent was spot on, so it was a characterisation. Ā Plus Hunnam actually being English wins him the prize.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Hunnam has no excuse, whereas DVD around that time would likely have only been coached in standard RP, very little chance he'd have had all that much coaching in Cockney.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's definitely Hunnam. As a bonus check him out in Undeclared if you want to see him doing another different but equally terrible English accent.

He ruined Undeclared. I watched the whole thing thinking "who the hell is this charmless yank doing this horrendous accent?" only to find out he was bloody English!Ā 

DVD in Mary Poppins might be a bit out there, but it's a great, magnetic performance.Ā