Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

About 20 years ago there was (I think) a Bleeding Cool article about how Warner Brothers didn't want to make a Batman vs Superman film because it was their two biggest franchises and they didn't want to halve their massive returns by combining them into a single movie. In that time Warner Brothers has managed to raise Batman to being one of the highest grossing franchises of all time, only to reduce them both to such a level that Wonder Woman and Aquaman are more marketable than them, which would be fantastic if they were creating new fan bases for those characters, but they have managed to make them both so toxic that new fans would actively avoid a film with them in as a group with solo Aquaman / Wonder Woman films outgrossing Justice League. It's madness.

Snyder managed to kill two cash cows in one fell swoop, has a history of making shit films yet somehow people still think he may have made an unseen masterpiece.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

Warner got really greedy and decided to rush into the Justice League before they bothered setting up anything resembling goodwill for the majority of the characters - and you can definitely say soundly decreased goodwill for Batman/Superman. Wonder Woman did so well across the board, but folk couldn't be arsed sitting through another Snyder-approved multi-hero story after BvS; rot was set in by that point. I know, personally, BvS was such a miserable, tedious, daft, and, well, shit experience that there was no chance they were getting my money again for another too long film. The Martha part alone was plenty.

I have no idea what they'll do with the DCEU now. It seems part reboot (new Batman, cancelling rubbish like Robotdude), part keeping some of the stuff that supposedly worked (Gal Gadot, Margot Robbie). I hope they have learned what a mess they made last time (Justice League lost them between $100M-60M) and stick to individual stories, for now, with different directors getting a chance, rather than letting someone as naff as Snyder be the overall creative leader of their franchise. Checking wiki, it definitely has some news to get you a wee bit excited that they are trying to make amends, with James Gunn directing the sequel to the terrible Suicide Squad, and Matt Reeves and the excellent Robert Pattison getting a go at trying to save Batman.

• Paid Members

Just saw the new Spiderman 

I'm a huge fan of Spideys classic Rogues gallery and I've always loved Mysterio. I honestly don't think I've ever seen the cinematic potential of a comic villain realised so well, the illusions, trickery and tech was so spot on, it  just captured everything that makes Mysterio cool and unique. 

• Paid Members

Mysterio being so well done really makes me want to see Kraven the Hunter in the MCU

Theres no way we won’t be getting Norman Osborne again sooner rather than later but Kraven with Vulture and the already hinted at Scorpion from the last film is the stuff of fanboy dreams 

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Marvel Studios have got Spidey so so right in all 5 of his MCU appearances that it annoys the fuck out of me that Sony made 3 lackluster films after the awesome Spider-Man 2 instead of the full rights going back to Marvel after the third Maguire film.

Never forget that this was actually one of the internal Sony emails that was leaked during the Sony hack. 

34EB69EC-D78E-49D0-803B-D0DDA8E4B8C1.jpeg

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Marvel Studios have got Spidey so so right in all 5 of his MCU appearances that it annoys the fuck out of me that Sony made 3 lackluster films after the awesome Spider-Man 2 instead of the full rights going back to Marvel after the third Maguire film.

Those films were ok and at least you got your MCU Spidey eventually, I'll never get to live my dream of seeing "Batfleck the movie" _a Ben Affleck film.  :(

1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Those films were ok and at least you got your MCU Spidey eventually, I'll never get to live my dream of seeing "Batfleck the movie" _a Ben Affleck film.  :(

I feel your pain, I wanted the Batfleck solo movie too, how in god's name did WB screw things up so badly? 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I finally got around to watching Black Panther. It was decidedly mediocre. If I hadn't already been at home sick and couch-ridden for a full week now, and my time wasn't completely worthless at this point I might be annoyed that I wasted my time on it.

Indeed. At best, it's B-level Marvel. Part of it feels right rushed and all the jokes in it die on their arse.

Given all the "best film ever" buzz I went in all excited, but if you are just sitting there judging a film on it's own merits, it's baffling how average the experience was in the cinema.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Indeed. At best, it's B-level Marvel. Part of it feels right rushed and all the jokes in it die on their arse.

Given all the "best film ever" buzz I went in all excited, but if you are just sitting there judging a film on it's own merits, it's baffling how average the experience was in the cinema.

By far the most overrated Marvel film. Sure, I get why it’s important and why it resonates with certain people, but it just didn’t offer much which hasn’t come before or after. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

With Endgame just $8 million behind Avatar are Disney just going to pay to keep it running all summer to grind out the win?

All eyes were pointing to a proper re-release with new footage. But I doubt it now. The Blu Ray comes out in 3 weeks in the US