Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

The movies lack a spark. Stellar cast, yet stillĀ never seem to riseĀ above average. AlthoughĀ I did enjoy the time travel one. The cartoon series from the 90s is the bestĀ X Men show/movie.

First Class and Days Of Future Past were both surprisingly great but I couldn't muster up the energy to watch Apocalypse as it looked like it lost a lot of that "indie" charm those two had, was it more inline with the big Marvel movies like the Avengers in tone?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

First Class and Days Of Future Past were both surprisingly great but I couldn't muster up the energy to watch Apocalypse as it looked like it lost a lot of that "indie" charm those two had, was it more inline with the big Marvel movies like the Avengers in tone?

I am like you. Only recently watched Apocalypse because I am going to see Dark Phoenix as I have an unlimited card. It was awful, especially after the previous two.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Because it was boring and awful. Oscar Issac was completely wasted in it

I've read the last couple of pages yesterday and today and you mentioning Oscar Isaac finally tipped me not only into remembering the film, but remembering that I have actually seen it. No other recollection of it at all. Shame as I liked the first two Next Generation X-Mens.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 5/31/2019 at 4:49 PM, gmoney said:

This new X-Men film looks a bit cack doesn't it? I have seen trailer about 6 times before various films, and I don't think I've met anyone who's excited about it.Ā 

There wereĀ problems with the release and promotion of this film due to Fox being sold to Disney during production. There were pretty devastatingĀ layoffs at Fox including nearly everyone responsible for promoting it from what I remember. It definitely wasn't going to be beating endgame at the best of times but it got pretty shafted. As the X-men will belong to DisneyĀ now and probablyĀ come back rebooted in a couple of years I guess no one really has too much invested in it anyway.Ā 

Soz about the double postĀ 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Ā I wasn't feeling Albino Jessica Chastain.

She had to make the sacrifice so she wouldn't detract fromĀ the super ginger power of Jean Grey.

I was pissing myself at the bit you put in the spoiler tag, I thought the same thing.

EditĀ 

First wonder woman 1984 image is stunningĀ 

D8UWzJeWwAAjQcM.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I thought Dark Phoenix was a bag of old arse, sadly. So joyless and pale. Things picked up a little bit when Fassbender turned up, but quickly fizzled out again. Quicksilver disappeared at some point as well, considering he is probably the standout character from the other films, this was a mistake.Ā Ā Ā 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

I thought Dark Phoenix was a bag of old arse, sadly. So joyless and pale. Things picked up a little bit when Fassbender turned up, but quickly fizzled out again. Quicksilver disappeared at some point as well, considering he is probably the standout character from the other films, this was a mistake.Ā Ā Ā 

Someone should have asked where he was ala Poochy. It was weird he disappeared until the end

• Paid Members

Jessica Jones season 3 was probably my favourite of the series. I binged it over the weekend and thought it was by and large excellent. Gutted that the Marvel Netflix shows are over. They really had so much more to give. Luke Cage particularly seems painfully unresolved but they could have told many more cracking stories with the lot of them.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
On 6/5/2019 at 8:02 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

There wereĀ problems with the release and promotion of this film due to Fox being sold to Disney during production. There were pretty devastatingĀ layoffs at Fox including nearly everyone responsible for promoting it from what I remember. It definitely wasn't going to be beating endgame at the best of times but it got pretty shafted. As the X-men will belong to DisneyĀ now and probablyĀ come back rebooted in a couple of years I guess no one really has too much invested in it anyway.Ā 

Soz about the double postĀ 

It's not just the merger that's the issue, it's been going on for years and got very noticeable in 2015.Ā Marvel have long wanted to wash their hands of the Fox franchises for various reasons, to the point where they have cancelled X-Men and Fantastic Four comic book runs and refused to release tie in merchandise for the X-men films (part of the branding they are still in control of and went to the extreme of a full blanket ban on X-Men character merchandise in 2015, including the cancellation of a number of already finished statues and collectibles) and have deleted X-men and FF charactersĀ from existing merchandise:

Ā 

image.png.d99c5042aed581d00f62ae95f0d8c2cc.png

It's very odd behaviour but it's a very conscious effort by Disney to bury the films and the characters until they have 100% control over them. I'd be shocked if they had any interest in this film making any money at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Gone to the added scene Avengers Endgame and despite a Russo Brother telling us pre-film that there's an extra scene post-credits a few people left as it ended, which seemed odd.

I didnā€™t get a chance to go, can you describeĀ the extra scene (in spoiler tags naturally) please?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Sadly the desperate attempt to bulldoze Avatar has still left them $24 million short of the worldwide box office record. That dreadful smurf film really was one of a kind, wasn't it?Ā