Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

3 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Looks a load of bollocks. I'll cherry pick the flicks I watch in this particular genre these days, but after the last two Avengers flicks, I just felt I was watching a mate play X-Box for hours and I didn't get a shot. Horrible shite.

I just read the spoilers and ruined it for one of me best mates in the WhatsApp group. He left said group and unfriended me on Facebook and Insta.
He took this one hard, but it's warranted. Cunt ruined Memento on me right before I went into the flicks to see it.

That is a brilliantly-timed bit of revenge!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

For people like Devon this will be hell which gives it an extra star in my eyes. 11/10

If only we can get somebody to Clockwork Orange me into watching it, that famous 10 star rating scale will get that enhancement you crave!

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DEF said:

I've just got home from it and it's really good. It's not quite as impressive a juggling act as Infinity War but is absolutely a fitting conclusion. I'm going to have to see it again soon I think. Absolutely loved the beginning and end.

I agree with this. Also echo all of @ReturnOfTheMack‘s quibbles, as well as his overall great enjoyment of the film. It was a lot to take in, though, and I’m still processing!

We had a fire alarm half an hour into the film, which was annoying, but had the advantages of allowing for a piss break (I wouldn’t have made it otherwise) and also getting free tickets afterwards.

30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If only we can get somebody to Clockwork Orange me into watching it, that famous 10 star rating scale will get that enhancement you crave!

I think I'm going next week so you won't need to see it, I'll tell you what it's like.

Gladstone is like David but with action films instead of MMA.

We're all off to see it on Saturday for my mate's birthday.  Looking forward to it in as much as this story needs an ending.  Not looking forward to 3 hours in a cinema though - that's too long to sit in a shitty cinema seat.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Also has Hannah John-Kamen in it, who is very nice to look at.

They tried their damnedest to make her look less attractive though, I thought the part was a bit lightweight.  She is SO fine and spunky in Killjoys.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Loki said:

They tried their damnedest to make her look less attractive though, I thought the part was a bit lightweight.  She is SO fine and spunky in Killjoys.

She was supposed to be suffering from a debilitating condition, to be fair. I thought she looked very nice, for all that. The part 

was lightweight, but I figured that was intentional, because the main focus was supposed to be on getting Mrs. Pym back.

• Paid Members

Jeremy Renner's hair in this man. He looks like a dad who's had a breakdown and got into MMA. 

Saw it this afternoon. Didn't feel as long as it was. 

Like all films with time travel, it makes no sense and breaks its own rules.

It was still fun though.

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Jeremy Renner's hair in this man. He looks like a dad who's had a breakdown and got into MMA. 

Saw it this afternoon. Didn't feel as long as it was. 

Reveal hidden contents

Like all films with time travel, it makes no sense and breaks its own rules.

It was still fun though.

Same here. It felt waaay shorter.

MVP is Fat Thor. Absolutely petrified in grief due to his non-victory, and utterly hilarious as a boozy kid-threatening griefer bum. Who could, in his darkest hour, still hand Quill's arse to him. Professor Hulk, cringy by himself AND cringing at who he was 7 years ago was also a hoot.

The race between Clint and Natasha to chuck themselves off the cliff was a little unnecessary as it did detract from the death of someone who was part of the series almost from the start. And the notion of Clint loving her more than his own family not getting addressed was also notable. And on top of that, HOW did Cap return that stone without at least recognising his oldest nemesis?

The final battle speaks for itself, even when you get past the hoo-rah of The Dusted coming back in full. And it wasn't just Tony dying, but Tony dying AND Cap doing what he always wanted to do that got me misty. Still am right now. 

All in all I'm so happy I didn't do the double-bill, I probably wouldn't have been in the mood to appreciate it around 3 this morning. Film of the year so far.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Loki said:

Gladstone is like David but with action films instead of MMA.

This reference would make any sense to me if I had ever even been in the MMA section, I'm sure.

• Paid Members

EndGame was a fitting end to the giant clusterfuck that was Phase 3 (and some of Phase 2). Not perfect by any means, and some scenes felt forced and unnecessary, but it hit the right notes at the right time and delivered a massive punch to the heart strings. The character work was great and most of the time the chemistry was on point.

I do feel that this could've been better served being a two-parter. I would've loved more time put into the immediate ramifications of Infinity War. They hinted at it during the movie but it was quickly swept under the rug.

Similarly, there were many moments where I thought they were going explain and show more, but the movie just jumped right into something else. I hope a lot of these threads are explored in the up-coming movies, as there are a lot of very interesting stories to tell pre-EndGame.

Still, the three hours flew by and the film did an excellent job despite it's faults.

Some spoiler discussion ahead:

- So what's the deal with Loki escaping in that time line? Is that going to affect the universe going forward? It wasn't explained or expanded upon at all.

- The soul stone cliff scene was incredibly bad. Awful stuff that felt shoe-horned in. I'd have preferred a slight heel turn from Hawk Eye, with him chucking Black Widow over the cliff as he now has a family to think about. It would've also mirrored Tony Stark giving his life for his family later on, giving Hawk Eye more depth to his character now he has the added layer of guilt for Tony's noble death.

- Fat Thor was unexpected and fantastic. Loved it. I also love that there was no sudden transformation either. Miek and Korg being his best buds really made me smile as those were two characters that I wanted to see more of coming out of Thor 3. The scene in Thor's house is one of my favorites.

- Cringey Dad Hulk was also brilliant. Again, I do wish more was expanded upon with his relationship to Black Widow, both before and after her death. Him feeling her demise didn't really hit as it wasn't re-established enough.

- I really wanted more time dedicated to the first five years after the click. It was never going to happen due to the sheer amount of ground that the film wanted to cover, but there is so much potential in that story. Give us some prequels about that time at least. 

- The scene with the lasses banding together was really great. Captain Marvel was great too. All the man children are going to complain about it but get fucked. It's really cool that girls and women have these characters to look up to and connect with.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Hide contents

- So what's the deal with Loki escaping in that time line? Is that going to affect the universe going forward? It wasn't explained or expanded upon at all.

-

In theory, Captain America going back and returning the soul stones at the point they nicked them solves this. Of course, it doesn't really because of branching timelines and all that shit. Time travel bollocks, innit.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Hide contents

In theory, Captain America going back and returning the soul stones at the point they nicked them solves this. Of course, it doesn't really because of branching timelines and all that shit. Time travel bollocks, innit.

Abso-fucking-exactly. Felt like that part with Cap returning all the stones just like that was shit quick fix to try and tie all the loose ends.

Still, Cap returning all the stones and then staying with his missus is a movie in itself and is very much a story worth telling. There's so much uncovered potential material here that it's slightly frustrating, especially seeing as Chris Evans is seemingly done with the franchise. 

I also don't get why he didn't tell Sam Wilson about his missus and the like at the end. Pretty odd character wrinkle there, or probably a callback to some other film that I've forgotten about.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Hide contents

Abso-fucking-exactly. Felt like that part with Cap returning all the stones just like that was shit quick fix to try and tie all the loose ends.

Still, Cap returning all the stones and then staying with his missus is a movie in itself and is very much a story worth telling. There's so much uncovered potential material here that it's slightly frustrating, especially seeing as Chris Evans is seemingly done with the franchise. 

I also don't get why he didn't tell Sam Wilson about his missus and the like at the end. Pretty odd character wrinkle there, or probably a callback to some other film that I've forgotten about.

that didn't bother me at all. I just saw it as him finally living his own life and having something for himself. Something that he hasn't had through any of the other films 

might be worth having its own spoilerific thread because this is gonna get unreadable quickly.