Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DEF said:

Whilst it does seem more than a little coincidental I personally don't see it. I mean even when Shazam was called Captain Marvel I thought of him as Shazam. I just don't make that connection for whatever reason. I figure that I'm not the only one.

Fair enough. I was never a massive Shazam/Captain Marvel fan (although have enjoyed a lot of his stories, but in recent years have enjoyed more Black Adam-related stuff), so wasn't sure how others might think of it.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough. I was never a massive Shazam/Captain Marvel fan (although have enjoyed a lot of his stories, but in recent years have enjoyed more Black Adam-related stuff), so wasn't sure how others might think of it.

I could well be wrong and certainly I'm not an authority on Shazam. I wouldn't say I'm much of a Shazam fan to be honest. I don't dislike it but I've never really felt the need to deep dive. There's a sale on at Comixology at the moment and I was sort of hoping the film would kick off a bit of interest for me but to be honest I'm still pretty apathetic.

• Awards Moderator

Watched Spider-verse yesterday. Fucking adored it. Wanted to start it again immediately at the beginning once it finished. It's gorgeous to look at, the voice talent is amazing and the plot is riotously meta but not annoying. Unsurprising that Lord and Miller are in the guts of it, it does have a Lego Movie feel. It pokes fun at the subject but in the most reverential way. 

Unlike all those other superhero films, it's actually good. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Watched Spider-verse yesterday. Fucking adored it. Wanted to start it again immediately at the beginning once it finished. It's gorgeous to look at, the voice talent is amazing and the plot is riotously meta but not annoying. Unsurprising that Lord and Miller are in the guts of it, it does have a Lego Movie feel. It pokes fun at the subject but in the most reverential way. 

I caught it twice at the cinema, watched it again with my wife and have got the German Import in the post from Amazon as there is no 3D Blu Ray release in the UK or US (and having seen it in both formats, 3D is the way to go). Even got a Spider-Ham cuddly toy from Build a Bear as it was the first comic 4 year old me bought from the 10p bin in Bakers Arms.

• Paid Members

I work in social media and I probably won't be able to see End Game until next week at the earliest. It's going to be an absolute mine field of spoilers, eight hours per day, until I can carve out some time to get to a cinema. I'm even considering going alone.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Due to work, I saw Endgame today. I'm still utterly shaking from it. WOW...just....WOW. Highly recommended. Its 3 hours but worth every single bit. Go in with absolutely no spoilers.

I’m going Friday morning. Is there an appropriate place for a piss break or is it worth holding it in and not missing a moment?

’m going Friday morning. Is there an appropriate place for a piss break or is it worth holding it in and not missing a moment

I managed to last, went for a big one during the trailers. There are moments where you can go, you'll sense them no doubt. Its that annoying thing of not wanting to because you don't want to miss anything, but yeah there's moments where you can pop out (I assume they do certain bits on purpose so you can) But if you can avoid taking on any fluid, then do! Wouldn't go in the last hour though.

I wish they did intervals again for certain films.  I wanted an ice cream.

• Awards Moderator

I don't give a shit about these films, so I've gone off and Googled whether Endgame has a post-credits scene. The answer is (couldn't decide whether to spoiler this or not) 

no. 

There is a microscopic audio Easter egg at the very end. 

I won't be going to the cinema for weeks at this rate. 

Edited by Onyx2

On 4/21/2019 at 7:15 PM, Onyx2 said:

Came online simply to echo the praise. Just got done watching it and would feel entirely comfortable stating it's the best superhero film I've ever seen by a considerable stretch. Absolutely outstanding effort.

It featured everything I'd want from a superhero film, with a strong cast of diverse characters, compelling storyline, creative ideas, entertaining action sequences and making logical sense - but then added on entire new layers I never even realised I'd want coming in. It's utterly stunning to watch, the settings are so unique and fulfilling, the comic book panels, the subtle lines of humour, the constant pacing keeping you engaged throughout, the comic-book connotations that are littered throughout, and the immense soundtrack all rounds off an amazing watch.

I've not booked my tickets for Endgame yet, but I'd be incredibly surprised if it's able to top Spiderverse.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

As a stand alone film it doesn't, but Endgame is a far more impressive experience because of how invested people are in the characters. Without having seen the previous films this is just good. Endgame really needs viewing as the final act of a story.

It's not without it weaknesses mind. Endgame spoilers:

The fat Thor stuff was bollocks, but others laughed at every joke with it. 

The women all banding together with Captain Marvel seemed forced and unsubtle even by Marvel standards.

Black Widows death surprised me, and the entire exchange between her and Hawkeye was the weakest part of the film.

On a positive note the Ironman death scene was beyond perfect, and Captain Americas ending was exactly what it should have been.

On a non spoiler spoiler, Paul Rudd was the films MVP for me. He stole every scene he was in.