Bellenda Carlisle

Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So I just fucking pirate them then. Bravo if you can make it on release weekend but that's so unrealistic. I really wanted to see The Favourite too, but that lasted about 7 minutes in our multiplex of doom. I can't wait for universal day-in-date releases. We're nearly there. 

Oh I completely agree. It seems stupid especially as so many screenings in a row just means that you may get 4 screenings of a movie that are half to a quarter full rather then 2 busy ones. It’s stupid. If your talking about my local, they have those stupid studio screen which are tiny. They could even keep those exclusively for more arty releases but they often use those for blockbusters as well. 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If your talking about my local, they have those stupid studio screen which are tiny. They could even keep those exclusively for more arty releases but they often use those for blockbusters as well. 

See I love those studio screens. Like sitting in someone's front room. And they are perfect for non-blockbusters. 

6 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

See I love those studio screens. Like sitting in someone's front room. And they are perfect for non-blockbusters. 

I don’t like that they cost the same amount as the big screens, but there is something fun about them. I saw Mindhorn in one which was ideal. Mission Impossible Fallout was not

Captain Marvel was OK. It had a fun second half. Essentially it needed more Jude Law, who seems to be entering into a nice second phase where he's all about chewing that scenery.

Brie Larsson was...fine. Its a bit blank, but that's sort of the point for most of it. I just...didn't care all that much about her. Hopefully she'll grow into that role. Off screen, she certainly needs to get her thinking straight if she's to make statements about equality in film. She could have said what she wanted to say in one sentence rather than that odd press conference.

Just now, Factotum said:

Off screen, she certainly needs to get her thinking straight if she's to make statements about equality in film. She could have said what she wanted to say in one sentence rather than that odd press conference.

I don't think she could have said all she wanted to make a point about in one sentence. She's clearly committed to making this more than just being about a female superhero. She's doing exactly what so many don't - using a position of comparative privilege to speak about subjects in a mainstream forum.

Perhaps my use of the word sentence was too basic. I just thought what she was trying to say should have been clearer. It could have been better put, and has been by others. I have no problem with her using her position to promote positive causes, the more the better, I just felt how she presented her view was muddled. Of course the clickbait sites took it out of context, but her points seemed to be a bit all over the place in the first place.

I suppose the positive is it at least caused a discussion that many were not having at all.

12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Perhaps my use of the word sentence was too basic. I just thought what she was trying to say should have been clearer. It could have been better put, and has been by others. I have no problem with her using her position to promote positive causes, the more the better, I just felt how she presented her view was muddled.

How do you mean? Not having a go at you but I've seen this said a few times on Twitter too but nobody really clarifies what they mean by this as I thought she was perfectly eloquent and on the money.

Continued from the trailers thread, where the new Joker movie is being discussed;

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How does this Joker connect to Suicide Squad? If they make that new Batman film (which is matter of when really, not if), what Joker are they going to use? This is set in the early 80's right, so same kind of time as Jack Nicholsons. But totally different character this time. I just think if this film had nothing to do with a famous comic book character, I would be more interested. I think it looks good, and it gives me a similar vibe to You Were Never Really Here. But I just don't see the appeal of this being another Comic Book film of a character with have seen portrayed so many other times. Also @Accident Prone, the casting and vibe I have no issues with. I just don't think it's a character we needed to see an origin film of. You seen the trailer for Brightburn? It is about a character similar to Superman, but is not him. Why couldn't this film have done something similar?

I mean look, @Devon Malcolm is already complaning about it being in here. YET, I guarantee he would be eager to watch this if it wasn't a DC film.

As Factum all ready pointed out, this is a separate film to their atrocious idea of a universe (a universe that only 4chan users and neckbeards want to see continue).

It's a stand alone flick that marks one interpretation of the Joker's origin story, and thus it's separate from any Batman/DC film before it. I don't understand why that bothers you so much and why you can't grasp that. It's the most fickle complaint I've ever heard. Do you know how many Joker origin stories there are? Published by DC, no less? There's quite a fair few, I'm telling you that much, and each of them are interesting in their own unique take on things.

At this point, given how many bloody Batman films there have been, I do wonder if DC might not be better served taking a leaf out of Marvel's book by doing a film or two on the less well-known or popular characters, like Ant-Man. Yes, there was the Aquaman film, but he's still considered one of their main characters.

Someone like Blue Beetle or The Atom might be worth a look, or perhaps even a movie version of Black Lightning or Mr. Terrific?

EDIT: Actually, y'know what? I'd be up for a Zatanna film, if they dispensed with the stupid costume and made her more like DC's Doctor Strange - given that she's supposed to be the DC universe's most powerful magician, I'd be up for seeing how that went.

Edited by Carbomb

8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Continued from the trailers thread, where the new Joker movie is being discussed;

As Factum all ready pointed out, this is a separate film to their atrocious idea of a universe (a universe that only 4chan users and neckbeards want to see continue).

It's a stand alone flick that marks one interpretation of the Joker's origin story, and thus it's separate from any Batman/DC film before it. I don't understand why that bothers you so much and why you can't grasp that. It's the most fickle complaint I've ever heard. Do you know how many Joker origin stories there are? Published by DC, no less? There's quite a fair few, I'm telling you that much, and each of them are interesting in their own unique take on things.

If that is the most fickle complaint you have ever heard, you need to spend more time on 4chan and twitter!

I guess I just don't like the idea of multiple jokers. But I see your point. I mean, Bruce Wayne isn't the only Batman, Peter Parker is not the only Spider-Man etc. I guess I just don't like the idea of different characters playing the same character (Arther Fleck is this Joker, Jack Napier was the 89 Joker and obviously others). But I still think the film itself looks great.

BrightBurn if you have seen the trailer for that is what I wish this was more like. Where they take the essence of a character, but make it original.

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I guess I just don't like the idea of different characters playing the same character (Arther Fleck is this Joker, Jack Napier was the 89 Joker and obviously others). 

With all due respect, I think you've missed the point of one of the most infamous and intriguing elements of the Joker's character. He's supposed to have those multiple origins, because he's the ultimate liar, right up to the point that even the "narrator" that is the creator of the story doesn't know how he really started. It's one of the more terrifying (and therefore fun) things about him that nobody knows where the fuck he's from or why he is the way he is.

Edited by Carbomb

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

With all due respect, I think you've missed the point of one of the most infamous and intriguing elements of the Joker's character. He's supposed to have those multiple origins, because he's the ultimate liar, right up to the point that even the "narrator" that is the creator of the story doesn't know how he really started. It's one of the more terrifying (and therefore fun) things about him that nobody knows where the fuck he's from or why he is the way he is.

Thank you. I have completely missed that. I pretty much read Bat-Man comics in the early 90's and haven't really since, and other then things like The Killing Joke (which I read a LONG time ago now) my knowledge has really come from the films/games since then. So that certainly helps explain why I am nieave in this situation. Out of curiousity, what is with the Joker in the Gotham series? Seeing as that was young Bruce Wayne (I gave up on it due to Jada Smith's awful acting)

Truth be told, I don't know. I haven't been watching Gotham. I didn't think Jada Smith was terrible, but there was something about her character that just seemed so out-of-place with the whole setting, not sure what it was.

I get excited by all the little clips, photos and trailers for the Joker film, but then I remember Todd Phillips has his hands all over the film. I've no doubts Pheonix will be very good in the role, but Phillips pretty much always makes dross.

Edited by ColinBollocks
War Dogs included.

55 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I get excited by all the little clips, photos and trailers for the Joker film, but then I remember Todd Phillips has his hands all over the film. I've no doubts Pheonix will be very good in the role, but Phillips pretty much always makes dross.

I only know Todd Philips from his comedy stuff (Come on, The Hangover was pretty good even if the sequels and Due Date were gash) which actually intrigues me more if anything.