Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I’m still kind of hoping they go the other way and go with an older version of Batman. With Michael Keaton having had something of a resurgence in the last few years, I’d be intrigued to see him revisit Bruce Wayne and try a proper take on The Dark Knight Returns. But having said that, would he be insistent on Tim Burton being involved?

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I guess I just don't like the idea of multiple jokers. But I see your point.

BrightBurn if you have seen the trailer for that is what I wish this was more like. Where they take the essence of a character, but make it original.

For the first part of the quote, I'd avoid the Batman comics for a while then.

The second part, it's pretty much the Irredeemable comic.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m still kind of hoping they go the other way and go with an older version of Batman. With Michael Keaton having had something of a resurgence in the last few years, I’d be intrigued to see him revisit Bruce Wayne and try a proper take on The Dark Knight Returns. But having said that, would he be insistent on Tim Burton being involved?

Would you have him opposite Brandon Routh or Dean Cain at the end in the absence of Christopher Reeve? 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Hasn't there been talk of casting John Hamm as Batman? He's not massively old, but he's nearly 50, and he'd do a good job, I think.

@Accident Prone - Absolutely. There most definitely should be some kind of reference to Batman, as the two are inextricably linked, but there should be almost nothing visual of Batman except maybe a shadow overheard (if he's an adult), or some mention of the parents' murder on TV or radio or something. But that's as far as it should go.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

@Accident Prone - Absolutely. There most definitely should be some kind of reference to Batman, as the two are inextricably linked, but there should be almost nothing visual of Batman except maybe a shadow overheard (if he's an adult), or some mention of the parents' murder on TV or radio or something. But that's as far as it should go.

Yeah, nothing visual. It should be the movie equivalent of a Chinese whisper. But I really don't trust major studios to be that nuanced or restrained these days so I'm half-dreading a scene where a young Bruce helps Joker with something trivial, and they exchange a casual "See you later". 

• Paid Members

Actually, wait a sec - that kid whom he's making do the smile with his fingers in the trailer...

EDIT: On closer inspection of what little I can see of that seen, it looks like the kid's standing at the gates of a mansion estate.

Fuck's sake.

Edited by Carbomb

Thomas Wayne is in the film. It was supposed to be Alec Baldwin but he couldn't do it.

You need Thomas Wayne as the whole point of the film is to show Gotham descending. The murder will no doubt play a part, but you're not going to see a Bat signal.

People keep saying its making him sympathetic....we haven't seen that yet. Its a trailer. For all we know it could be his perception of himself. Plus you can have a character who you understand why they are like that without feeling sorry for them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Thomas Wayne is in the film. It was supposed to be Alec Baldwin but he couldn't do it.

You need Thomas Wayne as the whole point of the film is to show Gotham descending. The murder will no doubt play a part, but you're not going to see a Bat signal.

People keep saying its making him sympathetic....we haven't seen that yet. Its a trailer. For all we know it could be his perception of himself. Plus you can have a character who you understand why they are like that without feeling sorry for them.

Thomas Wayne and the murder is all fair game, I've got no problem with that. Having Joker interact with a young Bruce, especially to the extent they show in the trailer, is incredibly shit, however. It reeks of an executive decision. "Oh we NEED to have Joker and Bruce do something! I don't care how or where...".

The best villains are sympathetic. They need to believe that they are doing what is right (whether that is right for the world, right for their family or right for themselves). They need justifications for their actions, and someone turning evil because they've gone through severe trauma is a tried-and-tested form of creating brilliant bad guys. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

At this point, given how many bloody Batman films there have been, I do wonder if DC might not be better served taking a leaf out of Marvel's book by doing a film or two on the less well-known or popular characters, like Ant-Man. Yes, there was the Aquaman film, but he's still considered one of their main characters.

Someone like Blue Beetle or The Atom might be worth a look, or perhaps even a movie version of Black Lightning or Mr. Terrific?

EDIT: Actually, y'know what? I'd be up for a Zatanna film, if they dispensed with the stupid costume and made her more like DC's Doctor Strange - given that she's supposed to be the DC universe's most powerful magician, I'd be up for seeing how that went.

If Shazam goes well, you can probably expect more along those lines.

• Paid Members

I won't get it watched until next week but The Tick season 2 has dropped on Amazon instant with 10 eps. Love The Tick and season 1 so it's a great surprise for me.