Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

At this point, given how many bloody Batman films there have been, I do wonder if DC might not be better served taking a leaf out of Marvel's book by doing a film or two on the less well-known or popular characters, like Ant-Man. Yes, there was the Aquaman film, but he's still considered one of their main characters.

Someone like Blue Beetle or The Atom might be worth a look, or perhaps even a movie version of Black Lightning or Mr. Terrific?

EDIT: Actually, y'know what? I'd be up for a Zatanna film, if they dispensed with the stupid costume and made her more like DC's Doctor Strange - given that she's supposed to be the DC universe's most powerful magician, I'd be up for seeing how that went.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Continued from the trailers thread, where the new Joker movie is being discussed;

As Factum all ready pointed out, this is a separate film to their atrocious idea of a universe (a universe that only 4chan users and neckbeards want to see continue).

It's a stand alone flick that marks one interpretation of the Joker's origin story, and thus it's separate from any Batman/DC film before it. I don't understand why that bothers you so much and why you can't grasp that. It's the most fickle complaint I've ever heard. Do you know how many Joker origin stories there are? Published by DC, no less? There's quite a fair few, I'm telling you that much, and each of them are interesting in their own unique take on things.

If that is the most fickle complaint you have ever heard, you need to spend more time on 4chan and twitter!

I guess I just don't like the idea of multiple jokers. But I see your point. I mean, Bruce Wayne isn't the only Batman, Peter Parker is not the only Spider-Man etc. I guess I just don't like the idea of different characters playing the same character (Arther Fleck is this Joker, Jack Napier was the 89 Joker and obviously others). But I still think the film itself looks great.

BrightBurn if you have seen the trailer for that is what I wish this was more like. Where they take the essence of a character, but make it original.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I guess I just don't like the idea of different characters playing the same character (Arther Fleck is this Joker, Jack Napier was the 89 Joker and obviously others). 

With all due respect, I think you've missed the point of one of the most infamous and intriguing elements of the Joker's character. He's supposed to have those multiple origins, because he's the ultimate liar, right up to the point that even the "narrator" that is the creator of the story doesn't know how he really started. It's one of the more terrifying (and therefore fun) things about him that nobody knows where the fuck he's from or why he is the way he is.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

With all due respect, I think you've missed the point of one of the most infamous and intriguing elements of the Joker's character. He's supposed to have those multiple origins, because he's the ultimate liar, right up to the point that even the "narrator" that is the creator of the story doesn't know how he really started. It's one of the more terrifying (and therefore fun) things about him that nobody knows where the fuck he's from or why he is the way he is.

Thank you. I have completely missed that. I pretty much read Bat-Man comics in the early 90's and haven't really since, and other then things like The Killing Joke (which I read a LONG time ago now) my knowledge has really come from the films/games since then. So that certainly helps explain why I am nieave in this situation. Out of curiousity, what is with the Joker in the Gotham series? Seeing as that was young Bruce Wayne (I gave up on it due to Jada Smith's awful acting)

• Paid Members

Truth be told, I don't know. I haven't been watching Gotham. I didn't think Jada Smith was terrible, but there was something about her character that just seemed so out-of-place with the whole setting, not sure what it was.

• Paid Members

I get excited by all the little clips, photos and trailers for the Joker film, but then I remember Todd Phillips has his hands all over the film. I've no doubts Pheonix will be very good in the role, but Phillips pretty much always makes dross.

Edited by ColinBollocks
War Dogs included.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I get excited by all the little clips, photos and trailers for the Joker film, but then I remember Todd Phillips has his hands all over the film. I've no doubts Pheonix will be very good in the role, but Phillips pretty much always makes dross.

I only know Todd Philips from his comedy stuff (Come on, The Hangover was pretty good even if the sequels and Due Date were gash) which actually intrigues me more if anything.

• Paid Members

I've never been a fan of Jokers origin stories. Making him more human and sympathetic just sort of winds me up. He's a monster, probably the most vile person in DC and it always struck me that the origins help to demystify him. Didn't like it when Alan Moore did it, doubt I'll like it when this film does it. That said it does look pretty good and I'm totally in the bag for seeing it day one.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

At this point, given how many bloody Batman films there have been, I do wonder if DC might not be better served taking a leaf out of Marvel's book by doing a film or two on the less well-known or popular characters, like Ant-Man. Yes, there was the Aquaman film, but he's still considered one of their main characters.

Someone like Blue Beetle or The Atom might be worth a look, or perhaps even a movie version of Black Lightning or Mr. Terrific?

EDIT: Actually, y'know what? I'd be up for a Zatanna film, if they dispensed with the stupid costume and made her more like DC's Doctor Strange - given that she's supposed to be the DC universe's most powerful magician, I'd be up for seeing how that went.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that Warner can't even get there biggest names over right now. I'd love a Zatanna (keep the costume), Deadman, Swamp Thing or The Question movie

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think it looks lovely. 

Wouldn't surprise me though, if the rug is pulled at the end with regards to the 'origin' of the chap. 

I can't see past them chucking a young Bruce Wayne in at the end, especially with them talking about setting the next Batman film in the 90s

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I can't see past them chucking a young Bruce Wayne in at the end, especially with them talking about setting the next Batman film in the 90s

Once it's not that insolent little pup from 'Gotham', I wouldn't particularly mind that. 

Hopefully this is just a standalone, but I doubt it. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, DEF said:

I've never been a fan of Jokers origin stories. Making him more human and sympathetic just sort of winds me up. He's a monster, probably the most vile person in DC and it always struck me that the origins help to demystify him. Didn't like it when Alan Moore did it, doubt I'll like it when this film does it. That said it does look pretty good and I'm totally in the bag for seeing it day one.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that Warner can't even get there biggest names over right now. I'd love a Zatanna (keep the costume), Deadman, Swamp Thing or The Question movie

Swamp Thing is coming to DC Universe or whatever the streaming platform is called

• Paid Members

I get what you mean, but if anything, the fact that he has multiple origin stories, of which no-one can tell which one is real, or if even any of them are real, makes him even more of a monster to my mind, because it means he's such a fucker that he'll lie to play on people's sympathies.

Yeah, all those. Big fan of Swamp Thing, and would've loved a bit of a cross-over with Constantine and/or Lucifer and/or Sandman.

The perv in me would have loved to have seen Mary Louise Parker in the classic skimpy magician bunny costume back in the day, but it's just such a ridiculous outfit, and a bit problematic. I'd actually feel sheepish for watching it. Think I'd prefer to see the pantsuit version, in the style of the 1920s Golden Dawn/Hammer Horror ceremonial magician with the top hat and cape.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think it looks lovely. 

Wouldn't surprise me though, if the rug is pulled at the end with regards to the 'origin' of the chap. 

I'd love something like that. If the movie started with a scene of Joker in full-get up before a feature-length flashback, and the movie ends with a continuation of that same scene where he utters his infamous speech from Killing Joke;

"You have to keep pretending that life makes sense. That there's some point to all this struggling. GOD you make me want to puke! I mean what is it with you? What made you what you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob, maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? Something like that I bet...something like that...something like that...happened to me, you know? I'm...I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes, I remember it one way, sometimes another...if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Haha!"...

Then he walks out of frame or it fades to black or whatever. I'd love it.

Edited by Accident Prone