Bellenda Carlisle

Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel, thought it had a few great hero moments that made me excited to see her fight Thanos in Endgame. My other half however... she hated it and felt really disappointed. Basically the criticisms Pitcos mentioned in the other film thread. She really wanted to like it but was just bored, sadly.

She did agree with me that the Stan Lee tribute was lovely and the legacy effects (thatā€™s what they call them in the credits) were amazing on Samuel L Jackson, at least.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

The best thing about Captain Marvel is it's filled with scenes that will further infuriate the unfuckable white dudes that seem to have an issue with the occasional female superhero.

The film itself is a bit of an odd one. Unlike nearly every other superhero movie, the film starts to finally get good when there is all manner of CGI bashing into things. I found at least the opening 2/3 a bit of a mess pacing wise, and it left me wondering if they'd cut out a big chunk to keep the running time to a more respectable 2 hours 5.

A big reason the opening set up dragged was due to them failing to establish Captain Marvel with any kind of that MarvelĀ charm, despite trying. Larsen tries her hardest to work some of her lines into something but it's mostly tumbleweed.

Annette Bening turning up always made me feel like we should all be above this shite. Particularly her.

The highlights:

The film instantly seems to turn into a good Marvel flick the second Cap Marvel realises she's got all manner of powers. Instantly the pacing picks up and the jokes suddenly start to land at a good pace.

The "cat" steals the show. The Fury eye jokes were decent.

B-level Marvel. I'd rate it ahead of Ant Man.

Ā Don't care if you like Marvel or not, I loveĀ how little they have shown of the film, it's out in a month and they have given us less than 3 minutes of actual footage from the film over two trailers, no big action set pieces and almost zero context to any of the shots. I honestly can't think of the last time a big blockbuster did anything close to this.Ā 

They're in that brilliant position that they know people will see this, irrespective of the trailer. It's a great trailer, really pushes how far everything has come in the story.

In other positive Marvel news, James Gunn has been reinstated to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 after he was fired for choking Justin Roberts with a tie.

1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

In other positive Marvel news, James Gunn has been reinstated to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 after he was fired for choking Justin Roberts with a tie.

Which also means Big Dave is back as Drax!

844E09C2-2135-429C-AB8E-A9F9C2A72C93_zps

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

He never left.

Not officially, mostly because heā€™s tied into a contract for X amount of movies, but he did imply that he didnā€™t want to work with Disney due to how they handled Gunnā€™s firing

I would so love that to beĀ the case, and that the cast were also aware. That would mean Dave's rantings wereĀ just him keeping kayfabe, which is another reason he's awesome.Ā 

Ā 

Edit : I mean Gunn never actually being off the film behind closed doors, rather than Dave leaving.

Edited by Bicurious Dad

3 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

I would so love that to beĀ the case, and that the cast were also aware. That would mean Dave's rantings wereĀ just him keeping kayfabe, which is another reason he's awesome.Ā 

Ā 

Edit : I mean Gunn never actually being off the film behind closed doors, rather than Dave leaving.

I bet everyone knew except Big Dave.Ā 

The rumours are that this has been announced now as the Fox deal is about to close and they may have had issue with him staying. I agree I think he never officially left they just had to let the dust settle and wait for more controversy to take centre stage.

Ā 

Thanks Michael Jackson!

Took my 5 year old daughter to see Captain Marvel. She was a bit scared and confused for the first half of the movie but everything seemed to click with the Skrull reveal and she absolutely loved it after that. Got marched straight into the Disney shop for merch once the credits rolled.

I honestly take shit like the manbaby trolling of films like this and the new Star Wars films as an attack on my little girl. Like some privileged little fuck is going to try and kill movies because he doesn't think a girl should be included in the fun. Boils my piss.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a whole bunch as well. One of the better origin stories in the MCU. There were a couple of music cues that nearly had my eyes rolling out the back of my head but that's a comparatively minor thing.

37 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Took my 5 year old daughter to see Captain Marvel. She was a bit scared and confused for the first half of the movie but everything seemed to click with the Skrull reveal and she absolutely loved it after that. Got marched straight into the Disney shop for merch once the credits rolled.

I honestly take shit like the manbaby trolling of films like this and the new Star Wars films as an attack on my little girl. Like some privileged little fuck is going to try and kill movies because he doesn't think a girl should be included in the fun. Boils my piss.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a whole bunch as well. One of the better origin stories in the MCU. There were a couple of music cues that nearly had my eyes rolling out the back of my head but that's a comparatively minor thing.

I recorded a podcast about Captain Marvel last night with someone who said the film was forcing feminism in your face. I didnā€™t get that at all. Did I miss the message?Ā 

As a general rule comic books and sci-fi films tended to attract sad virgins. These same neckbeard basement dwelling saddos are either gate keeping twats or men's right cunts. I kind of wish they didĀ  Kamala Khan as Ms Marvel in a stand alone film, having a female Muslim as a main character would cause them to fucking explode.

1018316866.jpg

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I recorded a podcast about Captain Marvel last night with someone who said the film was forcing feminism in your face. I didnā€™t get that at all. Did I miss the message?Ā 

When you regret calling Brie Larson a tit so try to prove how woke you are.