Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Couldn't disagree more. The Batman origin story is not only timeless but the tweaks, themes and minor modifications that each writer weaves into it are what really make it interesting. Some of the all-time best Batman stories are based on Bruce Wayne's past, dealing with his his issues and eventually finding his outlet.

I get this but I don't need is to see the exact same thing for the Nth time. The way they handled Spiderman's origin in 'Homecoming' was perfect, succinct & didn't just feel like a rehash. I might be the minority & people may want to watch the same thing again? 'Tell us a joke we know'

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm approaching this Pattison casting with the same throbbing skepticism that I had about Jared Leto as Joker. I'll have very low expectations.

I'm keen on Hoult, although isn't he tied in with Marvel/Sony/Disney/whatever the fuck? 

Hoult is Beast in the X-Men series which has one film left and comes out next month. I believe their contracts are up after this one so he would be free. Not sure who I would cast as Bat-Man. I would have prefered a Batman Beyond style film with Michael Keaton back as Bruce Wayne more then yet another reboot.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What else has Pattinson been in? Anything worth watching? I have only heard of him in relation to twilight which obviously I will never watch. So I don't feel like I can comment on him. I think Nicholas Hoult is fantastic in everything he does but can't really see him as Bruce Wayne.

Only other thing I know he's been in is a Harry Potter film, which, I think, was his big expo. I'm sure he's been in a fair few things since then apart from the Twilight series, but I've not heard of them.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What else has Pattinson been in? Anything worth watching? I have only heard of him in relation to twilight which obviously I will never watch. So I don't feel like I can comment on him. I think Nicholas Hoult is fantastic in everything he does but can't really see him as Bruce Wayne.

Popping in here to answer this (eggs!). Pattinson's a great actor who has mostly done low-key indie stuff since Twilight. He's not been in much that's good but he's been very good in all of it. Most people seem to like Good Time but I thought it was shit.

• Paid Members

Batman's origin isn't just an origin story, it's a trauma that he thinks about literally constantly, I'm cool with it being alluded to or shown in flashbacks but unless this is year one I doubt they'll have his story happen chronologically from the beginning with full origin and stuff. Definitely don't need another full origin film after how many films have come out in that format over the last few years.

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Only other thing I know he's been in is a Harry Potter film, which, I think, was his big expo. I'm sure he's been in a fair few things since then apart from the Twilight series, but I've not heard of them.

He was great as a skuzzy desperate type in "Good Time" (film as a whole is pretty great).

He's been in a bunch of indie oddball films (that I've not seen) and has generally been well received. Always got the impression he was a lot better actor than you'd expect for a played a lead role in Twilight type

Edited by organizedkaos
I can't spell

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Regardless of whether the films were any good or not, he was fantastic in Cosmopolis, The Rover, The Lost City Of Z and Good Time. Anybody who still doesn't like him stemming from his R-Patz days are daft.

Seems like a decent choice to me, has already carried a blockbuster trilogy as a tough moody vampire (a bat man if you will), but he's since become a decent actor who hasn't done his big mainstream comeback as a grown up.

I like Nicholas Hoult but he just doesn't have it, not for Batman.

• Paid Members

To save two threads becoming overrun with R-Patts/Batman chatter, here's my reply to @PunkStepregarding Pattison playing Batters;

4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Personally, (this is where I come @ you) I think Pattison hasn't got the chops for Batman. He looks good, has shown intensity when needed and is probably a big fan of the character, but whenever I've seen him in non-Twilight movies all I think is, "This is R-Patts playing a character". He just can't pull off those convincing performances. 

It's the same issue I have with Matt Damon, Keanu Reeves and, this will shock you, Leonardo DiCaprio. All I see is the actors putting on a different hat or a silly costume, as they can never actually drag me into a movie. I love Jason Bourne, I love John Wick, I love Shutter Island, but I'm still sat there going, "Whoa, look at *insert actor here" go!".

What separates them from the likes of Patts though is their presence. Even though I can't buy into them as true characters, they're just as compelling to watch despite the fact and that's a testament to how good they are. Patts just comes across as way too one-dimensional (even at times way too two-dimensional). As a grown man with a Batman Boner™, that isn't promising.

• Paid Members

I must admit, a DiCaprio Batman sounds intriguing. I reckon he'd have been excellent. The usual problem is that the actors cast are either great as Bruce Wayne or as Batman, but not both. Clooney is possibly the closest they ever came to that, and it's why I think Hamm would've been good in the role. Also (and I'm aware this is simplistic) as Iron Man/Stark is effectively the Marvel equivalent of Wayne/Batman, he might have been interesting.

• Paid Members

Michael Keaton was the best all rounder they ever had. Clooney was useless, Kilmer was a good Wayne, same as Bale, but didn't like there take on Batman. Affleck I thought did a decent job in both roles with some apalling scripts. Shame he was never given the chance to actually do his thing.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Did you like Big Ben Batman?

Honestly, it looked promising from the photographs I had seen. I never watched the trailer for Batman vs Superman, I was only going by on-set promotional material. So I had no notions of the film or the portrayals being bad.

I hated it. I left the cinema with as much haste as I did when I really needed a shit during the final 10 minutes of Infinity War. More so I hated the movie, as I believe that the Batfleck iteration could've worked if the film was...100% different.

If it were Big Ben Batman in a film/TV adaption of The Dark Knight Returns, it absolutely could've been a success. Ben's demeanor and on-screen presence match with Frank Miller's Batman very well. But it was not to be.