Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Sadly the desperate attempt to bulldoze Avatar has still left them $24 million short of the worldwide box office record. That dreadful smurf film really was one of a kind, wasn't it?Ā 

Iā€™ve been talking about this a lot on those other things I do. Ā Avatar cameĀ at the perfect time. It kick started 3D as an event to see films at the cinema (ruined mere months later by those rushed auto conversations of things like The Last Airbender and Clash of the Titans). It also had no competition from anything until the following March when Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland came out, which also got a 3D bump. Avengers in 10 weeks is what Avatar did in almost 7 months, due to its re-release the following year as an extended edition.Ā 

What Iā€™m saying is Dances with Smurfs was big only until there was competition. Avengers never had the free reign that Avatar did

• Paid Members

I'm convinced Endgame will beat Avatar eventually. Even if they have to rerelease it. It's now atĀ $2,764,881,856Ā and did about 10 this weekend. It only has to do that three more weeks. Which it could easily do if they rereleased it at Crimbo.

I seriously hope it does too, it deserves it. Has any other major blockbuster/event movie had less of a cultural impact than Avatar?

Literally no one I know gives a shit about it. I can barely remember the plot. When the first of the 5 sequels comes out to utter apathy it's going to be interesting.

I suppose it's a possible that there's a generation of kids that it might have hit that sweet spot for that carry the flag for it but I'd be surprised.

I didnā€™t see Avatar at the cinema, only rented it on Blu-ray when it came out. Itā€™s mad to think thatā€™s the highest grossing of all timeĀ which although very well made, from a story point of view is prettyĀ average. Itā€™s the Coldplay of movies, it made a shit tonne of money, yet you never meet anyone who actually likes it.

Me and the wife decided recently to watch allĀ the MCUĀ films from the beginning and score them. Weā€™re only up to Captain America: First Avenger, but those early films are pretty ropey in places. Although Iā€™ve got to say I quite enjoyed The Incredible Hulk, and itā€™s a shame they havenā€™t made another Hulk movie

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Although Iā€™ve got to say I quite enjoyed The Incredible Hulk, and itā€™s a shame they havenā€™t made another Hulk movie

Totally agree. Now they have cracked the Hulk code it's a real shame they can't do another one because of Universal. I've always thought they should back door one with a She-Hulk film.

• Paid Members

Ā 

9 minutes ago, DEF said:

Which it could easily do if they rereleased it at Crimbo

Have you seen the release schedule around Christmas? A little film called Star Wars is floating around and then the real juice of Jumanji 2 is there to pick some pockets. A re-release of Endgame will be small news by then - like a re-release with 10 minutes added to it.

The buzz for Endgame seems to have gone now.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Ā 

Have you seen the release schedule around Christmas? A little film called Star Wars is floating around and then the real juice of Jumanji 2 is there to pick some pockets. A re-release of Endgame will be small news by then - like a re-release with 10 minutes added to it.

The buzz for Endgame seems to have gone now.

Oh I don't doubt those films will get the lion's share. It would have to be a very strategic. I still think another 30 mil is very doable.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Avatar's USP as well was that it was all about the 3D.Ā  YouĀ hadĀ to see it in the cinema to see it properly.Ā  Having seen Endgame a few times in regular 2d and once in IMAX 3D it doesn't need to be seen in 3D in the same way so there isn't the same must be seen in the cinema once it's available to buy.

Absolutely. Avatar is still one of the best examples of 3D being used in a film to improve the experience (Gravity and TS Spivet are my others in a top 3). It was designed to be seen in that way. I still have a 3D TV and own quite a lot of films in 3D and most do not add much because the 3D is a way to generate larger box office numbers, not to improve the experience. 3D is still my prefered format, but Avatar really made it an event film you had to see in 3D on the biggest screen. When I have caught Avatar on standard TV's it just looks meh. The wholeĀ immersiveness (which is what a great 3D presentation does)

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

3D is your preferred format?!Ā I'll do anything to avoid watching a film in 3D, I hate it, I don't want to watch an already too dark film in shades thanks. Also the best 3D film is Drive Angry.

There is a difference between Cinema 3D (which us usally as you describe unless you get something special like Laser IMAX 3D) and home 3D. Because if you calibrate things correctly, you don't get the dark like you do at some automated projection at a Cinema where it's not checked or calibrated. They just let the computer system set it up. Bulbs in those projectors also need to be changed a couple of times a year and they hardly do. I saw Dumbo in 3D this year and it was bloody awful for it's darkness.

3D done well, and callobrated, can really add to a film. Not all films like, some are stinkers no matter which format you see them in (Dark Phoenix and MIB International are my two most recent examples).

@Accident Prone I get it, I do. But I hope my explanation makes more sense. Now, glasses-less 3D, if that ever gets perfected, will be the real game changer. James Cameron has been talking about it for the next 4 Avatar films, but if they get it right, it will be amazing.

Unless of course you have an eye problem, then it's going to be shit.

Ā 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

There are only three things I've ever seen that 3D made better, and two of them weren't good to begin with: Avatar, Tron: Legacy, and a trailer for Space Station 3D (the documentary about the ISS, which I really regret missing as that did look amazing). I'm sure the technology is incredible, but for me it just doesn't work, whatever the quality - it just doesn't add anything to the experience, even for action films, unless there's a vast sense of space and expansiveĀ immersion, and even then it's not a given that it will enhance a film. For films with high-intensity action scenes, it's just a mess. For most others, it's pointless.Ā 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ā For films with high-intensity action scenes, it's just a mess. For most others, it's pointless.Ā 

Yep. The Marvel films for the most part they add nothing. Ant-Man and Dr Strange being the exceptions really

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DEF said:

Totally agree. Now they have cracked the Hulk code it's a real shame they can't do another one because of Universal. I've always thought they should back door one with a She-Hulk film.

Hulk works so much better in short bursts as a supporting character. One of the biggest problems with those first two films was that no one cared what was happening with Banner, you were just waiting for him to turn into Hulk.Ā Ruffalo as Banner is just as much of a character now, would love to see him make more appearances down the line. Find an excuse to get him back to Banner and being chased by Thunderbolt for not being part of theĀ Sokovia accords or something. I'd watch that as a tv series.