Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Moderators

Yeah I felt they over saturated ages ago personally, but the numbers show otherwise. And the Disney model has always been to flog a horse well past the boundaries of what could possibly be considered humane treatment so I can't imagine that will change. So ultimately you're probably not wrong, but that is still likely exactly what they are aiming to do.

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I felt they over saturated ages ago personally, but the numbers show otherwise. And the Disney model has always been to flog a horse well past the boundaries of what could possibly be considered humane treatment so I can't imagine that will change. So ultimately you're probably not wrong, but that is still likely exactly what they are aiming to do.

The next few years will be interesting. I am really looking forward to all the new Theme Park bits that Paris, and California are getting, but I am not really excited for Phase 4 at all

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Disney deal with Sky runs out in January, so I suspect it will be after then, and as soon as they can. Why they cant have the content on Disneylife in the mean time is anyones guess as this is not on a network on at the cinema, all this stuff is streaming only. Mandolorian I imagine will be heavily pirated

Valid points. But we have The Eternals, led by Angelina Jolie, Black Widow's movie, WandaVision, another Captain Marvel film etc. It's not like they don't have female led content. Regardless, as long as I don't have to watch every episode of every show they make to understand Marvel Phase 4 and 5, they can make as many shows as they want, and I'll just cherry pick the ones I want.

But you can blow people out. Marvel churn out so many comic titles, and this is at a record low for comic book sales. I stopped buying them years ago mainly due to the fact there were too many titles that were integrated. At the moment Marvel rules Hollywood, but they can also kill it by over saturating, in my opinion of course.  

There are literally no signs that Marvel have oversaturated the market though. Endgame was the biggest film in history and Far From Home is Sony's biggest film in its history.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DEF said:

There are literally no signs that Marvel have oversaturated the market though. Endgame was the biggest film in history and Far From Home is Sony's biggest film in its history.

Endgame was the culmination of 20 films, it was always likely to break records and continued to do so. Spider-Man followed that up, so audiences are eager to see what's next. Here's also the most popular Superhero in Marvel, Tom Holland is the perfect Peter Parker and the first film was great. That too was also going to do well.

Let's have a look at Black Widow, The Eternals and Shang-Chi do first and see if they are still breaking all records

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The next few years will be interesting. I am really looking forward to all the new Theme Park bits that Paris, and California are getting, but I am not really excited for Phase 4 at all

Phase 4 on paper doesn't do it for me but neither did Captain America, Thor or Guardians Of The Galaxy before I saw them. I couldn't be a bigger fan of all three of those now. Presumably Marvel are going all in on stuff like The Eternals because they want me to be a die hard fan of that too so I keep giving them my money.

• Paid Members
Just now, DEF said:

Phase 4 on paper doesn't do it for me but neither did Captain America, Thor or Guardians Of The Galaxy before I saw them. I couldn't be a bigger fan of all three of those now. Presumably Marvel are going all in on stuff like The Eternals because they want me to be a die hard fan of that too so I keep giving them my money.

And I'll be seeing them all too. But there are super casual fans who will see the main heroes, and then there are comic book fans who will pretty much watch any superhero film. That's why it will be really interesting to see how much of the people they have won over in recent years will continue to watch without seeing Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk or Thor.

Or the Guardians, as they really broke through and the next one of those won't be out for another 3 years or so 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Endgame was the culmination of 20 films, it was always likely to break records and continued to do so. Spider-Man followed that up, so audiences are eager to see what's next. Here's also the most popular Superhero in Marvel, Tom Holland is the perfect Peter Parker and the first film was great. That too was also going to do well.

Let's have a look at Black Widow, The Eternals and Shang-Chi do first and see if they are still breaking all records

They aren't going to beat Engame's numbers for pretty obvious reasons. That doesn't mean that they won't be absolute juggernauts that get over the Billion dollar mark.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And I'll be seeing them all too. But there are super casual fans who will see the main heroes, and then there are comic book fans who will pretty much watch any superhero film. That's why it will be really interesting to see how much of the people they have won over in recent years will continue to watch without seeing Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk or Thor.

Or the Guardians, as they really broke through and the next one of those won't be out for another 3 years or so 

Captain Marvel did 1.2bn and in no way shape or form was she a mainstream pop culture character before the film. Now she's a juggernaut in her own right.

As a long term Marvel fan I'm actually excited for them to move past the obvious ones that I'm pretty familiar with and delve into the more unusual ones.

I think they've done a very good job of getting to the point where someone sees that it's a Marvel movie and they want to see it no matter what the characters are. They've built up an incredible reputation and this is definitely the time to be taking calculated risks and building for the future. I really admire their business approach to their movie slate.

23 minutes ago, DEF said:

Captain Marvel did 1.2bn and in no way shape or form was she a mainstream pop culture character before the film. Now she's a juggernaut in her own right.

You could argue Iron Man, Thor and maybe even Captain America weren't mainstream pop culture characters before their films.

I think I'd maybe heard of Captain America maybe?  I guess "Marvel are making" films was the casual hook for those films. I'm sure it's easier to create mainstream pop culture when everything you're doing is pretty unknown  but yeah, they did pretty much push their heroes into the mainstream rather than being able to use what DC already had.

• Paid Members

Pretty sure Captain America was one of Marvel's biggest pop-culture figures, after Spiderman. Thor, not as much, but still pretty recognisable. Iron Man wasn't, that's true.

Sure but Thor kinda has an advantage due to the whole Norse mythology thing. Captain America probably was one of their biggest figures but as a "don't read comics, does watch films" person I was only aware of him through offhand jokes in sitcoms and whatnot. X-Men definitely felt like a bigger property.

I realise I'm extrapolating my viewpoint to be "all the casual people"'s but I'm somewhat confident plenty of people's awareness of what Marvel did would've been based on what films existed and the handful of TV cartoons

EDIT: Although thinking about it I do see that "Captain America" or "Thor" are at least familiar concepts if not familiar characters which is an easier sell. Even just the names makes it pretty clear. I still have no clue what "Eternals" are supposed to be and I can't remember the names of the other upcoming films (other than Black Widow) despite having read them in this thread a minute ago.. They don't necessarily stand out if you have zero familiarity

Edited by organizedkaos

As much as I'm now a full on MCU junkie, I at least hope that for Disney+ they exercise a bit of restraint and awareness and give the lower level heroes appropriately less show time. As much as a lot of minor leaguers have their die hard fans, I'd get pretty sick of it if every single one got a standard 13 episodes per 3 season stint. Sure, there's decades of material to cadge from, but one of Marvel's strengths on the big screen has been taking elements from a lot of iterations and stories of the same character and mixing them into a solid respectful but unique film version. I hope they admit that on TV; I'd likely zone out halfway through season 2 of Moon Knight, but a 3-6 episode miniseries could be great. Satisfy the fans, cue the characters up for crossovers, and avoid the pacing slump of every Netflix run they've had.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Be interesting if they are launching a new platform or will use the existing Disneylife service.

I’m not sure what Disneylife is/was running on, but if the job posts I’ve been seeing on LinkedIn are anything to go by, Disney+ is being built by what was the BAMTECH team. BAMTECH was what the first version of the WWE Network was running on until recently as well.

2 hours ago, DEF said:

Blimey that's going to be a tedious wait.

Just like the WWE Network, then…

Prior to the MCU, I don’t think Captain America was much of a household name internationally, at least outside of the comics bubble. I’d have always had Superman, Batman and Spider-Man as the top three. Fourth would be... Hulk, maybe? 

They’re the ones I remember seeing toys of even when I was a little kid in the 80s. Spider-Man is the odd one out there, I think, as the other three had popular film or TV franchises by then. Even my parents knew the classic Batman and Hulk TV shows, and those cunts didn’t even know any music that came out after World War Two.

X-Men I remember becoming a bit more of a big deal in the nineties when they had their cartoon and then the movies, and I’d agree that they were far more prominent in pop culture than Thor, Iron man and Captain America until the Marvel films took off.

I dunno why this text has gone different sizes.

Edited by King Pitcos