Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Doesn't he say... @DEF ?  Massive Spoiler for others.

Hide contents

I'm a mentally ill loner... in the interview segment just before he wastes DeNiro

I get your point, but I thought they had conflated the two themselves in the film.

Oh yeah he definitely say's that but they explain

that it's the brain injury he received in his childhood from his Mum's boyfriends beatings. Which are detailed from the medical records from Arkham. I would be critical of the film if they had lumped the Joker into mental health as well but a brain injury is far more unique.

No two are the same and can entirely change a person. Some people recover and lead healthy normal lives but some brain injuries can frankly make them incredibly dangerous. It's a actually a pretty genius way to justify the Joker.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

In the end, I wasn't really sure what to make of Joker. Undoubtedly. Phoenix is very good in this and the film would be a bit of a shambles without him. It's the physicality of his performance which is most impressive, whether that be his broken malnourished frame, or the dancing.

I get why some people have went in and turned their nose up at it, because it is a nasty film where all the characters are unlikable. However, I sort of think that's the point. Even the use of a Gary Glitter song (tasteless as it is) added another unsettling layer of unpleasantness to the film, so much so I wonder if it was done on purpose. Whether or not it all added up to a good film is what I'm struggling with.

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Walk the Line is such a bag of shit. Sad that that is the film being discussed as the high watermark for such an excellent actor.

Always brings this to mind. 

I haven’t seen Joker and probably won’t but I’m guessing those calling it a career best for Phoenix have seen about three of his films. 

• Paid Members

It's not the be-all and end-all of an actor's abilities, but I do think it's a telling indicator of Phoenix' skill that he has one of the most convincing English accents I've heard any American actor do, in Gladiator. In itself, impressive enough, but coupled with his very respectable performance as Commodus, I think it's much underrated.

Saw Joker last night and really enjoyed it. I’m not qualified to be part of the whole ‘Joaquin Phoenix Performance’ talk as I haven’t seen anything of his since We Own The Night, but I did think he was great in this. The comparisons to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are obvious for anyone that’s seen them, but there was still plenty to enjoy for those that haven’t. Then again, if you haven’t seen either of those then you probably haven’t lived.

Minor Criticisms:

We didn’t need to see Thomas & Martha Wayne die again. Something different could’ve been to play the audio of a news report covering the civil unrest and it reports that T&M had been killed. I get that they have to connect it to Batman in some way, but how many more times do we need to see that.

I also felt like the final scene of Arthur in the hospital would’ve worked better as a post credits scene. There wasn’t anything wrong with the scene itself, I just felt it’s placement took away from it slightly. I’d have been really happy with the ending being the image of Joker stood on the car bonnet surrounded by the people in Joker masks then the cut to black with his laugh as the credits roll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:
  Hide contents

I don’t think people are realising what this whole story was, it was just thoughts in Arthur’s head, it never actually happened and he was in the mental institution the entire time.

Exactly what I took from it, the 'you wouldn't get it!' Joke was Arthur thinking of the whole film in his head, that thought was the snapping point, he killed the shrink and is now about to go bat shit mental on Gotham once he kills he way out of Arkham Asylum. 

I fucking loved the film, thought it was very well done and was a belting performance from Phoenix. 

The final interview with De Niro was wonderful