Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Well, I watched it, my brain enjoyed it. Do I need to justify it more? :p

It's a popcorn flick, just a switch brain off and enjoy the action. It was head and shoulders above both of its predecessors (as in Apocalypse and Last Stand). 

I guess I couldn’t get over the plot holes, the fact these 4 films take place over 40 years, yet no-one ages and the awful tacked on final act. How the manage to keep fucking up the Phoenix Saga is beyond me. But fair play for enjoying it

I went to see Joker last night and wow, that shattered my expectations. Film of the year for me by some way. I’m amazed that the reaction to it has been as mixed as it is (despite credible people like Empire giving it 5/5)

Its probably a career best performance for Phoenix, I absolutely loved it.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How the manage to keep fucking up the Phoenix Saga is beyond me. But fair play for enjoying it

I just don't think it's that interesting a story. It obviously doesn't help when it's presented in a really flat and boring manner, but of all the X-Men stories around, I've never quite understood why this one is so revered. 

• Paid Members

The Gary Glitter bit really threw me. Took my right out the film for a minute. So bizarre.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

It's probably not even his best performance of the year.

I thought that the film was totally fine, particularly the 70s garbage NY/GC aesthetic and the retro Warner ident. @Devon Malcolm RnR Part 2 is in there, but as a short intro instrumental.  No glittery vocals that I could ascertain.

My issues with the film were as a lot of others have highlighted elsewhere:

Hide contents

mental illness isn't a superpower and it was all his mum's fault.

No doubt it'll be referenced in the next school shooter's manifesto, so that's something to look forward to.

It's not a mental illness. It's a brain injury. I worked in a Brain Injury unit for years and there's moments in Joker that really creeped me out because they were eerily close to conversations that I've had with people. Particularly the dialogue he has before he smoothers his Mum.

Edited by DEF

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

It's probably not even his best performance of the year.

I thought that the film was totally fine, particularly the 70s garbage NY/GC aesthetic and the retro Warner ident. @Devon Malcolm RnR Part 2 is in there, but as a short intro instrumental.  No glittery vocals that I could ascertain.

My issues with the film were as a lot of others have highlighted elsewhere:

Reveal hidden contents

mental illness isn't a superpower and it was all his mum's fault.

No doubt it'll be referenced in the next school shooter's manifesto, so that's something to look forward to.

Has he even been in another film this year?

Whether you like the film or not, I’m genuinely surprised that you would downplay the quality of his performance here. ‘Career best’ is obviously subjective; but whether or not he’s actually good here is surely less so. 

5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The Sisters Brothers was released here earlier this year.

I didn't say he wasn't good, I thought that he did an excellent job.  However, Phoenix is fantastic in a lot of films because he's an excellent actor.

Fair enough, I misread your initial post.

Oh he’s a brilliant actor and he has had a lot of strong performances - You Were Never Really Here, Walk the Line, even Her is stellar.

The reason I think this is a career best is that he lifts the source material, the film very much is about him, and how he performs as this character. You take Phoenix out and put someone else in that role it would become a very different film. 

He’s great in The Sisters Brothers, but would that film suffer if his character was played by someone else? Maybe a little, and not as much as Joker would. Plus John C Reilly was the star of that particular show.

Phoenix is great in Buffalo Soldiers, an underrated performance.

Think I'll watch Joker this week but, objectively, how close to Taxi Driver is it in tone and style? Could be a hard sell to my lady and I've seen favourable comparisons to Taxi Driver which will not go down well with her.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Think I'll watch Joker this week but, objectively, how close to Taxi Driver is it in tone and style? Could be a hard sell to my lady and I've seen favourable comparisons to Taxi Driver which will not go down well with her.

Are you trying to give Marty a heart attack?

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Phoenix is great in Buffalo Soldiers, an underrated performance.

One of my friends described it as "imagine King Of Comedy and Taxi Driver remade by someone who missed the point of Fight Club. It’s art - but it is NOT the art the world needs right now." I don't think that would class as a 'favourable' comparison but it's definitely comparable by the sounds of it!

I'm in two minds about whether to see it. On the one hand, everyone's talking about it and that makes me want to at least be informed enough to get into conversations about it. On the other, I think I'll probably hate it.

@Keith Houchen He's not listed on IMDB but I'm sure Scorsese was a producer on it at one point!

EDIT: On Joaquin Phoenix performances, it's not his showiest or most prestigious film but I loved him in Walk The Line

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, gmoney said:

I just don't think it's that interesting a story. It obviously doesn't help when it's presented in a really flat and boring manner, but of all the X-Men stories around, I've never quite understood why this one is so revered. 

The did a good job with it in the 90’s animated series, if I recall correctly