Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Too much? They've got a huge amount of characters. It's a great way of dealing with some of the ones that they're not sure about launching movies for. They've got to move forward from the older characters in some way. I imagine we've been through the golden Marvel age now but they're hardly going to give up. I'd much rather they did what they're doing now than we suffer a bazillion reboots - although obviously we're getting some of those.

It's the best place for it as well, nobody is buying Disney+ who isn't already fan of at least 1 of the 3 brands and it's on demand so you can watch at your leisure or binge if that's the preference. It's also giving Marvel a platform to build longer stories for their B/C list characters who would suffer having everything jammed into a 2hr movie - and also those who probably wouldn't warrant a solo movie without significantly bumping up their status within the Marvel universe such as Single Female Lawyer Hulk.

Since it's streaming shows it doesn't all have to be for everyone. Ms. Marvel is unlikely to be aimed at you and I any more than Spidey and his Amazing Friends will be on Disney Junior. This is more akin to their comic universe, you can pick and choose what titles you read, sometimes we'll get crossovers and team-ups, and sometimes the big event comics will have spin-off titles.

Don't come in this thread much but wanted to lend my support to The Boys, possibly the first great Amazon Prime show. 

It's a fantastic antidote to the superhero overkill we are all having to endure everywhere, and Homelander might be the greatest superhero ever committed to celluloid. Thumbs up from me.

• Paid Members
On 8/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, DavidB6937 said:

Too much? They've got a huge amount of characters. It's a great way of dealing with some of the ones that they're not sure about launching movies for. They've got to move forward from the older characters in some way. I imagine we've been through the golden Marvel age now but they're hardly going to give up. I'd much rather they did what they're doing now than we suffer a bazillion reboots - although obviously we're getting some of those.

They have. But do they all need their own show's? Can't they just make cameos? Can you imagine if they decided characters in The Simpson's should all have their own spin off shows (I don't mean like the classic episode), but you know what I mean? Just because you have this huge roster doesn't mean they all need their own shows. Especially if they are all going to tie into the MCU as well. If it's not, that's fine.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They have. But do they all need their own show's? Can't they just make cameos? Can you imagine if they decided characters in The Simpson's should all have their own spin off shows (I don't mean like the classic episode), but you know what I mean? Just because you have this huge roster doesn't mean they all need their own shows. Especially if they are all going to tie into the MCU as well. If it's not, that's fine.

If a character is big enough to have its own long running comic book then there's absolutely no reason not to make TV and Film with it.

There's literally decades of narratives, art and design to cherry pick.

Interlectual properties like that are worth their weight in gold on business level. I don't really know why a fan wouldn't want fully realised versions of these characters other than they don't really want to watch them. In which case don't, nobody's forcing you.

Disney are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Disney+ so that it can rival Netflix. Marvel will be absolutely key to that. Straight off the bat by announcing just one of these shows they get my money for sure.

Talking of Disney+ does anyone know of a UK start date?

Edited by DEF

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

All the character’s could just make cameo’s, but Disney need to create new Marvel content (and specifically content that tie’s into the film’s, as that’s where most fan’s are invested) to drive subscriber’s to their new streaming platform. What show’s are you suggesting they make instead of utilising these lower tier character’s? They’ve also got stuff coming out on there with character’s from the big film’s, like Loki, Hawkeye, and Captain America’s two mate’s.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

All the character’s could just make cameo’s, but Disney need to create new Marvel content (and specifically content that tie’s into the film’s, as that’s where most fan’s are invested) to drive subscriber’s to their new streaming platform. What show’s are you suggesting they make instead of utilising these lower tier character’s? They’ve also got stuff coming out on there with character’s from the big film’s, like Loki, Hawkeye, and Captain America’s two mate’s.

Pitcos make's some excellent point's

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, DEF said:

Talking of Disney+ does anyone know of a UK start date?

Star Wars UK Twitter said the Madolorian would start in early 2020 in the UK, so my guess is Jan/Feb time. Be interesting if they are launching a new platform or will use the existing Disneylife service.

17 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I am more then happy with the MCU series they have already announced. And they will clearly tie in to the MCU as we know it. And I loved What If? comics growing up so I am all in on that too.  But does Hulky McBeal need a show? Moon Knight? Ms Marvel? I mean who watches  or The Runaways or Cloak and Dagger? I have had absolutely no interest in them. If these shows will be their own universe and not interrupt the MCU, they can crack on.

Besides, Disney+ has that new Jeff Golblum show. If it had nothing else on there but that, they would still get my money

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Early 2020 unfortunately.

Blimey that's going to be a tedious wait.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But does Hulky McBeal need a show?

I don't understand this concept or what your criteria is for what 'needs' to be made. Apart from documentaries on topics of journalistic note I'm not sure anything could really be argued as 'needing' to be made.

In this instance it's probably that they need female heroes and this is one that has tested well with focus groups and they expect it will make money. I can't imagine that anyone thinks Disney has any 'artistic merit' factoring in their decision making.

I think Disney have to wait until their Sky Cinema deal runs out. The one good thing about Disney + is the price, which is going to be quite low at first. It's going to be an utterly amazing service given all the Fox content as well. It sucks they have a monopoly though.

28 minutes ago, DEF said:

Blimey that's going to be a tedious wait.

As others have said, I can only assume it's down to shit timing with outstanding contracts. It makes no logical sense to make anyone wait for Star Wars and Marvel content.. mostly because fans won't wait and will just obtain it elsewhere. I mean I'm sure the majority will join the service once it's available anyway but still it's an unfortunate delay.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

As others have said, I can only assume it's down to shit timing with outstanding contracts. It makes no logical sense to make anyone wait for Star Wars and Marvel content.. mostly because fans won't wait and will just obtain it elsewhere. I mean I'm sure the majority will join the service once it's available anyway but still it's an unfortunate delay.

The Disney deal with Sky runs out in January, so I suspect it will be after then, and as soon as they can. Why they cant have the content on Disneylife in the mean time is anyones guess as this is not on a network on at the cinema, all this stuff is streaming only. Mandolorian I imagine will be heavily pirated

35 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't understand this concept or what your criteria is for what 'needs' to be made. Apart from documentaries on topics of journalistic note I'm not sure anything could really be argued as 'needing' to be made.

In this instance it's probably that they need female heroes and this is one that has tested well with focus groups and they expect it will make money. I can't imagine that anyone thinks Disney has any 'artistic merit' factoring in their decision making.

Valid points. But we have The Eternals, led by Angelina Jolie, Black Widow's movie, WandaVision, another Captain Marvel film etc. It's not like they don't have female led content. Regardless, as long as I don't have to watch every episode of every show they make to understand Marvel Phase 4 and 5, they can make as many shows as they want, and I'll just cherry pick the ones I want.

But you can blow people out. Marvel churn out so many comic titles, and this is at a record low for comic book sales. I stopped buying them years ago mainly due to the fact there were too many titles that were integrated. At the moment Marvel rules Hollywood, but they can also kill it by over saturating, in my opinion of course.