Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Chalk me up as another who thought Eternals was pretty great! The fact it didn’t feel like an MCU film at times was refreshing. Great cast. Some pacing issues, sometimes characters are off screen for a while and I forgot they were missing. Some awful CG on Richard Madden near the end where it looked like a cartoon of him instead of it being him. But my favourite MCU film of the year thus far.

@HarmonicGenerator

Spoiler

Dane Harrington is The Black Knight in the comics. The voice in the background appears to be the Mahershala Ali version of Blade.

• Paid Members

With wife and children away at a Friend's fest this weekend, I went on a catch up binge.

Finally caught up with The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, which I thought was pretty shit.

Watched Shang-Chi on Disney+ and thought it was epic and wish I'd gone to the pictures to watch it, made me all happy. Similar to how Ant-Man (I'm an Ant-Man fan) makes me feel. Just good fun Marvel magic with little to no pretention.

Alas, same can't be said for Eternals. Yeesh, there's almost 3 hours of my life I'll never get back, I'll give them managing to portray the passage of time, I thought it had gone on for 3 days. Most exciting part was the post credit scene, and the film would have been an absolute dud without Karun lifting moods and providing some touching moments. Fella who played Druig was decent too. I think it's the worst Marvel film to date.

Edited by Teedy Kay

I was a bit bored by Eternals in all honesty. 

Spoiler

In hindsight it makes sense that Kit Harrington only appeared very briefly but I was actually quite intrigued to see how his character would handle finding out his girlfriend was basically a god only for him to disappear for most of the movie. Didn't help that Icarus was a charisma vacuum with no chemistry at all with Sersi.

Ultimately the problem with ensemble movies is balance. It felt like the most interesting characters, Thena, Sprite, Druig, Makkari, got the least. Makkari felt particularly hard done by. It felt like they panicked and shoved her in the spaceship because they didn't know what to do with her. 

I felt like there was a missed opportunity to explore humanity speeding up the energy production and ghe Earth warming up but Marvel don't have the teeth for that.

I think ultimately I'm disappointed because it felt like it had more opportunity for granduer than we really got (celestial aside). 

It's also a great example of how the Marvel movies really don't fit together as well as everyone pretends. 

"Can we fight Thanos?"

"It is not your fight."

"But if he wipes out half of population in the universe isn't that gonna cause problems with your plan to promote population growth so that you can grow more celestials? Also, isn't he partly Deviant?"

"Sprite, quickly, distract them with Blade's voice and  Harry Styles cameo!"

42 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

Shang-Chi is excellent. I'm also gutted I didn't see it in the cinema. I actually enjoyed it so much that I might watch it again in the next few days, which I almost never do with films anymore.

Saw it in IMAX and it was a fantastic cinematic experience. Waiting for the 4k disc to arrive and then I'll definitely be watching again.

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’ve been a bit put off going to see the Eternals based on the reviews, without spoiling it, I’d holding off on this one until it’s on Disney Plus likely to affect my enjoyment or understanding of Spider-Man in any way? 

You never know with Marvel, but I’d imagine it’s very unlikely to cross over much, if at all.

• Paid Members

I hope there's never a cross over nor even another mention of the Eternals again in the MCU.

A failed experiment in my opinion, that money and timewould have been better spent on The Fantastic Four ensemble cast.

Only time I think they may be worth a shout if they were to come back would be something gargantuan like Galactus. But then I'd really just want main characters defeating him.

Eternals was an attempt to get legs out of a weaker Marvel group, it worked with Guardians because it wasn't taken seriously and was fun. Eternals were up their own arses for the most part and if I want a group in space themed Marvel film, I'll look for Guardians or some Thor shenanigans before ever going back to these dolts.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I’ve been a bit put off going to see the Eternals based on the reviews, without spoiling it, I’d holding off on this one until it’s on Disney Plus likely to affect my enjoyment or understanding of Spider-Man in any way? 

It’s marmite, as you can see even here. I did really enjoy it, it felt fresh and probably their most inclusive and diverse cast, but I can also understand why some found it dull, even if I disagree.

• 1 month later...

They've smashed it out of the park with the new Spider-Man. Outstanding straight from the start. Lots of credit for them delivering on the huge hype and anticipation its had for all this time.

Spoiler

The different Spider-Mans was perfectly done. Great chemisty between them all. The reaction in the cinema was insane for the reveal as well. Never heard anything in the cinema like that before, where everyone has such an amazing reaction and starts clapping. In this day and age of people having to film every moment or reaction with their phone, it was an extremely pure/honest/lovely moment the whole cinema had. Hard to have such moments like this these days. Was grinning madly for lots of parts of this, which is the greatest compliment I can give it. Watching the 'greatest hits' from years gone by with a load of other people also loving it was a great moment.