What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I got through the series yesterday. Much, much better than I ever expected. I saw a tweet saying it was like the original Karate Kid mixed in with Mean Girls and Superbad, and that's a spot on description. Johnny kind of reminded me of Randy The Ram Robinson from The Wrestler too, being the out of touch down and out whos glory days were way behind him. 

I never wanted it to end. Bring on Season Two. 

I love the music in this show. The 80's inspired EDM making it feel retro and modern at the same time. Plus the power ballads.

You can also sign up to YouTube Red for a 30-day free trial if you need it to watch any.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I love the music in this show. The 80's inspired EDM making it feel retro and modern at the same time. Plus the power ballads.

You can also sign up to YouTube Red for a 30-day free trial if you need it to watch any.

YouTube Reds not available in the UK is it?

I watched ep1 last night and was hooked. Was gutted when I saw 3 onwards were ppv. It's a shame YouTube didn't put the kind of budget and production into it that Netflix or Amazon would have. Even so though I freaking loved it so far.

• Paid Members

Can't wait to watch season 2, if there is going to be one. Everything about it was just what I wanted from a 2018 Karate Kid show. Even the dodgy acting added to it!

One thing I did notice though, is Ralph Maccio the only man in the world who's voice has un broken as he got older? It was massivly deeper when he made the original films...

• Paid Members
On 4 May 2018 at 12:23 AM, Astro Hollywood said:

If you're in any way a fan of Karate Kid, the Youtube sequel series that dropped yesterday, Cobra Kai, is sensational.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I've only seen the first two episodes so far. Looking forward to watching the rest. 

• Paid Members

It's genuinely tremendous. Of course, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it weighs humour and pathos brilliantly.

I liked that LaRusso went on to become the pinnacle of 80s success and that at the start they don't go full on with him being a tosser, rather playing up Lawerence's bitterness.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Arrested Development's remix is way better than it's original fourth season. You can only do so much with what is basically the same thing, but it's a massive improvement on the fourth. Things seem to flow a lot more. Might also be because I'm viewing it a 2nd time years later so dont have my bitter head on, desperately wanting it to be nothing less than the best thing ever, but I enjoyed it way better than I did when it first debuted.

Jeffery Tambor just doesnt seem funny in this, though. And it's not the allegations. I dont know if its because I just watched the whole run of the Larry Sanders show so it's a bit unfair to compare it, but Tambor doesnt seem on form in this. Dunno if it was because he was working on something else, and the character just wasnt at the front of his mind as it should have been, but Tambor is usually a comedic force.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Episodes.

I remember when this first came out and I watched the first or second episode of it and kind of wrote it off.

It's now on Netflix and I've been watching it and it isn't bad at all. Matt LeBlanc plays an awesome oblivious dickhead.

• Paid Members
On 04/05/2018 at 12:23 AM, Astro Hollywood said:

If you're in any way a fan of Karate Kid, the Youtube sequel series that dropped yesterday, Cobra Kai, is sensational.

You weren't kidding. 5 episodes in and it's putting hairs on my chest. That's how you do a show like still. A lot of nostalgia and call backs, but it could pretty much live as its own series if you hadn't seen the film.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jeffery Tambor just doesnt seem funny in this, though. And it's not the allegations. I dont know if its because I just watched the whole run of the Larry Sanders show so it's a bit unfair to compare it, but Tambor doesnt seem on form in this. Dunno if it was because he was working on something else, and the character just wasnt at the front of his mind as it should have been, but Tambor is usually a comedic force.

In the original run, George was never really at the forefront of episodes but was amazing. In season 4 once they gave him more screen time the character was a bit all over the place and really suffered from it. It's like they forgot what to do with him.

Brooklyn Nine Nine has been cancelled, there’s 2 episodes left of the 5th season to run in the next 2 weeks.

I enjoyed it through its entire run

Also Gotham still hasn’t been picked up for a 5th season yet with Season 4 ending in 2 weeks. 

The shows I enjoy are dying out, back to reruns of Knightmare and The Sopranos for me.