What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I watched the Dear White People film this weekend, then banged through the TV show. It's not as good and doesn't have the lovely, lovely Tessa Thompson in it, but it is still very, VERY funny in places and a fairly easy watch. Recommended.

Also on the point of the above discussion, imagine listening to someone who only watches a TV series from Series 2 onwards. Sort of person that needs locking up. You're either all in, or you're not. You've missed a HUGE amount of development in series 1 of anything. Freak.

25 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Talking of Sean Bean, how do the Sharpe's hold up? I've always liked the looks of them but you know, itv.

They're ace, the ones with Pete Postlethwaite being a wonderful bastard are a must.

19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I watched the Dear White People film this weekend, then banged through the TV show. It's not as good and doesn't have the lovely, lovely Tessa Thompson in it, but it is still very, VERY funny in places and a fairly easy watch. Recommended.

Also on the point of the above discussion, imagine listening to someone who only watches a TV series from Series 2 onwards. Sort of person that needs locking up. You're either all in, or you're not. You've missed a HUGE amount of development in series 1 of anything. Freak.

In mitigation, I watched from Season 2 of BE because I was watching it with my brother and he had already seen Season 1. It was a bonding thing because he was going back to South Korea imminently at the time.

Bottom line, Boardwalk Empire is THE show Ralphy should watch in terms of accessibility; plus he enjoyed The Sopranos which is very similar to Boardwalk conceptually and in terms of who writes and produces it.

Anyways, I plan to get back into Season 1 imminently; I've already watched the first episode, which was pretty underwhelming despite it's record breaking budget (don't let that put you off Ralphy!)

Michael Shannon's character may possibly be the greatest character in Network TV history.

That man can pull off any kind of role. He's a modern day De Niro. 

• Paid Members

Day late and a dollar short, but finished up on the recent BBC adaptation of Ordeal By Innocence. As opposed to most critics, really didn't think much of it. I don't really like taking a crime story and changing it to the extent they did. It felt like a random murder-mystery based in the 50's with Agatha Christie's name stapled to it. Also had the modern-day telly trope of being needlessly grim, with random paedo rings and the like being added in. Wasn't that sold on Bill Nighy in it either, his acting range was limited to looking like he needed the toilet the entire time. Did very much enjoy the most inept murder attempt in the history of the universe in the second episode though, 

Edited by Gus Mears

I started watching this little known new show last night called Band of Brothers. David Schwimmer is just Ross in the army in the first one. That second episode was intense.  I wish I could watch it all in a cinema.

18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I started watching this little known new show last night called Band of Brothers. David Schwimmer is just Ross in the army in the first one. That second episode was intense.  I wish I could watch it all in a cinema.

Paging @Monkee to the thread!

• Paid Members

I'm pretty far into The Terror. It's proper bloody drama with top notch acting, dialogue, plotting, atmosphere...basically everything is great. It's far better than anything else any of you lot are currently watching I'm sure. If it keeps up the high standards, which I'm sure it will, it should go down as one of the best single series of TV. So go watch it. 

• Paid Members
On 25/04/2018 at 5:32 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Oh my god, this is my obsession!

David Schwimmer is certainly not Ross in the series and, for me, is his breakout role and showed what a great actor he really is. His portrayal of Sobel was spot on - the men hated him but he made them the tight-knit company that they became.

You need to keep watching as it just gets better. Currahee, Day of Days and Carentan (episodes 1-3) have some of the best cinematography for a military-themed programme/film ever while Bastogne (episode 6) really puts into perspective what the men actually went through while trapped in the Bois Jacques forest.

For me though, the best episode is Why We Fight (episode 9) but I won’t give away the plot if you’ve not seen it. But...

I think this is one of the most powerful episodes because it shows the trauma of the Nazi regime from both sides of being victims and liberators. The acting is incredible when the soldiers have to take away the prisoners’ bread so that their food intake can be monitored properly.

Also, I was talking to one of the main actors (George Calil who played Moe Alley) about this episode a few months ago and he was telling me about working with Tom Hardy. He said the special effects of the burning bodies was so realistic that Tom Hardy actually threw up upon seeing them.

As I said, I might be just ever so slightly obsessed with this series (and with WWII military history in general). This time last year I was preparing to visit Atlanta so I could visit Toccoa and run Currahee. I’ve already done Normandy and a European road trip following the path of Easy Company from Eindhoven, to Bastogne, through Germany, down into Austria and to the Eagle’s Nest in Berchtesgaden. I’ve met quite a lot of the actors and am lucky enough to call them friends having known some of the for over 10 years now. And I’ll be going to Normandy again at the end of May for the anniversary commemorations of D-Day in June as well as attending the WWII Film Festival.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

It’s ages since I saw that film but I think this was a minor role. I’ve seen him in other films where I wasn’t wowed by his performance but I think he shows a great range as Sobel in Band of Brothers. I think, as with the other Friends actors, that they played those iconic characters for so long that it’s difficult to not see Ross/Rachel/etc. in every role they’ve done since. Sobel was the first time where I actually saw more than a 2D version of Ross in an Army uniform. You hated him but also felt really sorry for him when he was transferred to another unit.

Edited by Monkee