What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I didn't realise until today that Designated Survivor and The Expanse both got cancelled as well. Designated Survivor, fair enough, because it really had turned into a shit show that I was essentially hate watching every week but The Expanse is great. Fucking SyFy

I think the reason The Expanse was cancelled is because SyFy only had the rights to the first, live  broadcast of the show, and with it being a Sci-Fi genre show, the audience was strongly weighted towards on demand viewing. I think the production company is confident of the show being picked up agin by a streaming company. 

Edit: Don't Want to be a Div and not provide a source: 

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3498423/syfy-pulled-plug-expanse-hope-not-lost/

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I think the reason The Expanse was cancelled is because SyFy only had the rights to the first, live  broadcast of the show, and with it being a Sci-Fi genre show, the audience was strongly weighted towards on demand viewing. I think the production company is confident of the show being picked up agin by a streaming company. 

Edit: Don't Want to be a Div and not provide a source: 

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3498423/syfy-pulled-plug-expanse-hope-not-lost/

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

Yeah, I had read that. I think Amazon is the most likely destination for The Expanse, which is fine with me. The thing with The Expanse is that the books are quite involved so it's difficult to translate all the weaving threads that eventually come together to the TV show. But season three, for example, is excellent.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:12 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

The only posts I make these days are popping in here to tell you I liked some telly, but I have liked some more telly and that is HBO's Barry, which you should watch. It's very good.

Agreed. The whole first season was excellent, obviously HBO agree as they renewed it for season two before it had even premiered.

Bill Hader shows serious acting chops. Henry Winkler is over the top greatness. The character of NoHo Hank had me laughing every time.

• Paid Members

I love Bill Hader, I forgot all about that.

Silicon Valley is great, it's a few series in, it's lost a main cast member and gone slightly more over the top, that would kill most shows but it's still the funniest sitcom on TV. Jian Yang man, best worst character ever.

• Paid Members
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, Bicurious Dad said:

Monkey reboot on Netflix and the new Duck Tales on Disney my childhood has been having a great time recently.

I watched episode one of Monkey last night. It lacked the fun aspect of the original series. This one seems to be aiming for the teenage demographic. With the main characters being of that age.

How are you finding it?

It's a NZ made thing now, so no dubbing (although the special effects are still ropey). I've enjoyed it, it's an easy watch and reminds me of late 90s early 00s sci-fi channel fare. 

• Paid Members
On 5/17/2018 at 3:06 AM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I love Bill Hader, I forgot all about that.

Silicon Valley is great, it's a few series in, it's lost a main cast member and gone slightly more over the top, that would kill most shows but it's still the funniest sitcom on TV. Jian Yang man, best worst character ever.

I thought losing TJ Miller would hurt the show a lot more than it did and, since leaving the show and revealing himself (to me, at least, as apparently he's always been this way) to be a complete twat, he's no loss.

• Paid Members

The new Monkey gets better the further along you get. Pigsy's girlfriend is an entertaining character. I'm liking the way the are using different and distinct accents.

Finished watching Cobra Kai last night. It's every bit as good as the hype it's been getting. Lawrence's telling of his version of the events in the first movie was a joy to watch. If you haven't gotten round to watching it. Put it at the top of your list.

I've nearly finished Cobra Kai and it's bloody glorious but the one thing that keeps popping in to my head is that the whole show is based on Barney Stinsons take on The Karate Kid. 

Has this version of events always been a thing or is it possible that HIMYM could be responsible for something truly great and therefore somewhat redeemable?

• Paid Members

So, based on this thread, I'm watching Barry. And, yes, it is great. So, if anyone else here saw the posts about it and were on the fence, get off that fence.

I also watched the first season of Crashing (a HBO show based on this down on his luck, but sometimes his luck is up, standup comedian. Always lots of guests - TJ Miller, Sarah Silverman, Artie Lang for example. Worth checking out.

The Rain: Not bad, good concept on the played out end of the world trope but left lingering questions as it went on. The dubbing is horrific, the characters voices/accents are all the shop but that can't be held against the show. I really like how they were with the graphic nature of death.

Bojack Horseman: I'm just not on board with it yet, have been told it gets better as it goes along, just entering season 2 now. Theme tune is stuck in my head and that's not a good thing.

F Is For FamilyReal solid show. I love it for its continuity and whilst wacky adventures are to be had by the characters it doesn't take you out of the realm of the show. I can't say I've seen a dead/scene in the 2 season's I've burnt through and highly anticipate S3.

Safe - Halfway through this tale about a disappearance of a girl from a gated community.  After the first 15 minutes I thought I'd hate it as everyone was Tory as fuck but it's one of those things where everyone seems to have a secret and it's all unravelling.  Michael C Hall and one of them from Green Street are pretty good, as is Marilyn Harwood from Dream Team.

The characters aren't likeable st all but the story seems to be chugging along nicely enough to keep me wondering what's going to be revealed later on.