What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Soy Lecithin turns you into Peter North, evidently.

Sprinkle it on your porridge in that mornings, Stavo.

EDIT - Porridge not being metaphorical. Porridge being porridge.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone see the new Arrested Development? It wasnt very good. I'm someone who thinks the first 3 seasons are like the best shows ever, and was a defender of the less popular 4th series. But this one just didnt do it. The chemistry doesnt seem there anymore, and nobody seemed on form. Shame.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone see the new Arrested Development? It wasnt very good. I'm someone who thinks the first 3 seasons are like the best shows ever, and was a defender of the less popular 4th series. But this one just didnt do it. The chemistry doesnt seem there anymore, and nobody seemed on form. Shame.

I thought the Season 4 Remix that Netflix has up is infinitely better than the original Season 4, but a handful of episodes into Season 5 and it's all over the place. You're right, there's no chemistry, and a lot of it is really oddly scripted. I think I've heard every main character say "shit" at this point, and the whole Michael/George Michael thing is just a mess.

The only things that actually seem to work are the one-note characters like Gob and Tobias, but without the rest of them pulling their weight it's very weak.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Bloody good though.  By far the scariest part is it seems a bit too plausible!

I pretty much say this every week. I mean humanity as a whole does shit like this right throughout history. All's it takes is for a few "Its better than sharia law on the streets" nuts to gain momentum and Tommy Robinson is running rampant on every fertile woman in the south.

Does anyone watch Friday Night Dinner? I’m very late to it so have literally just started watching it all the last few weeks and am up to date with the current season now so have no idea what the general reception of it all was/is so may be of no interest to anyone!

Anyway I love it, however Friday Nights episode had one of the most sad scenes I’ve seen in a comedy show, bloody heartbreaking!

• Paid Members

One thing I noticed about Arrested Development season five is that Will Arnett is definitely off the wagon. He looked crazy alcoholic bloated in early episodes of the season.  I enjoyed Fateful Consequences and thought the first half of the new season was fine but nowhere near the standard of the first three seasons.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Doog said:

Does anyone watch Friday Night Dinner? I’m very late to it so have literally just started watching it all the last few weeks and am up to date with the current season now so have no idea what the general reception of it all was/is so may be of no interest to anyone!

Anyway I love it, however Friday Nights episode had one of the most sad scenes I’ve seen in a comedy show, bloody heartbreaking!

It was a heart wrenching episode. I love the show. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Will Arnett is definitely off the wagon. He looked crazy alcoholic bloated in early episodes of the season. 

Yeah, I'm only a few episodes in and this is really noticeable and actually quite distracting. Other than that I'm quite enjoying the new ones so far. I like Tobias's gimmick, I'm enjoying Michael's character again, much more than I did in s4.. Overall I'm feeling optimistic about it. Or at least I was until I read Ian's thoughts :(

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, I'm only a few episodes in and this is really noticeable and actually quite distracting.

I looked into it the other and he did a Hollywood Reporter interview about his show (forget the name of it now) where he also said he had issues with alcohol years back, went to AA and said he'd recently (at the time of the interview) been drinking again but had knocked it on the head once more through AA. But by the looks of him in ADS5, he's struggling.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Doog said:

Bloody love it. No one I know watches it, and it's so consistently good. 

And yes, the tearjerker out of nowhere! Mark Heap is criminally under recognised as an acting talent, he should be David Jason levels of fame.

That was the last ever episode of Friday Night Dinner, right? I remember Robert Popper said he wasn't going to make a fifth series but Channel 4 insisted and the way that last episode ended makes me think that may be the end for it.

Really looking forward to Flowers this week. The first series was a criminally underrated masterclass in writing comedy and drama. Amazing stuff. 

• Paid Members
On 5/11/2018 at 11:17 AM, Dead Mike said:

Finished watching Cobra Kai last night. Absolutely loved it! William Zabka is fantastic & it was far funnier than I was expecting. Has @John Matrix watched it yet?

Jesus, i've only just seen this!  Things have been mental lately, barely had a minute to myself, but i'm desperate to see this, especially in light of the near universally positive reviews from the likes of you lot who's opinions I value a lot!

That said, i'm an utter fucking caveman and have no idea how to go about watching it?  I'm not averse to paying for it if needs must, but I don't even know what Youtube Red is, much less how to access it.  Anyone any tips?  I don't want to have to download anything is the only hitch!

Help a brother out, I need my fix.

• Moderators

Finished the episodes of AD series 5 on Netflix. I dunno... I didn't hate it. But it seems to have the same problem as series 4 for me, in that it's flabby and hit and miss. There's some moments I really enjoy, but it's a far call from the incredibly tightly packed, intricately written first 3 series.