What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

As I've moved and my broadband doesn't get connected until Wednesday, I've watched the one DVD that I've actually got possession of at the moment.

That DVD is Series 1 of The Wire. I've put it off for ages, because as an unashamed Sopranos super fan, I've always been afraid that I'd like it more than that, and I'm too old to uproot my life like that (I went through a similar Star Wars/LOTR thing when those films came out.

FUCKING HELL, WHAT A SHOW. WHAT A FUCKING SHOW. I watched the whole lot in one night and now have nothing to watch until Wednesday but whatever.

Cannot wait to watch the rest of it.

Will it overtake Tony and co in my heart? Who knows. Stranger things have happened 

• Paid Members

I'm just popping in to say I finally caught up with The Expanse to the end of season three and it really is a good show. As a book reader first and foremost, the casting is always great (although Strait as Holden is actually my least favourite character) and Thomas Jane as Miller especially is seriously one of my favourite TV (and book) characters of probably all time. So, if for some reason you haven't checked the show out, now would be a good time to start. The first two seasons are on Netflix and I'm sure you can find a way to watch the third season and you'll probably have heard that, despite the general critical acclaim, SyFy cancelled the show because of the way they'd set up the distribution rights, finding themselves unable to make money on it. Luckily, Jeff Bezos is a big fan of the The Expanse book series and Amazon have picked up the show for further seasons. Seriously: watch this show.

• Paid Members

ABC's announced that Roseanne is returning ... just without Roseanne. It'll be a spinoff with the cast without Roseanne Barr in it. There's an odd mix of "great fuck her" and "boo, it'll be shite", but people need to see the bigger picture in that Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman will be leading this thing. They're really fucking good. Could be a blessing for the show getting those two more time on camera. They carried that show for years during its original run, when Roseanne became an overbearing old bag.

• Paid Members

That's awesome news. Everyone on that show deserves it, they are tremendous. Really looking forward to it. Roseanne is an arsehole and not nearly as important to the show as I suspect she thinks she is. They will be fine without her. Darlene is the same character anyway and she's a better actress.

• Paid Members
On 6/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, SuperBacon said:

As I've moved and my broadband doesn't get connected until Wednesday, I've watched the one DVD that I've actually got possession of at the moment.

That DVD is Series 1 of The Wire. I've put it off for ages, because as an unashamed Sopranos super fan, I've always been afraid that I'd like it more than that, and I'm too old to uproot my life like that (I went through a similar Star Wars/LOTR thing when those films came out.

FUCKING HELL, WHAT A SHOW. WHAT A FUCKING SHOW. I watched the whole lot in one night and now have nothing to watch until Wednesday but whatever.

Cannot wait to watch the rest of it.

Will it overtake Tony and co in my heart? Who knows. Stranger things have happened 

It will overtake The Sopranos. It's just the best TV show ever and by a significant margin. Recently rewatched the whole thing because my girlfriend hadn't seen it and it blew her away and hooked me all over again.

I’ll get round to watching all of them again once I’m done with Oz for my podcast, but I’ve still yet to finish The Wire. I got to about the middle of series 3 but haven’t been back to it in a long time. I’ve only ever watched The Sopranos through once too.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

That latest episode of The Handmaids Tale was fucking traumatic.

I actually thought they were building a path to redemption with Serena Joy after she semi bonded with  June then got a walloping off of Fred but now she has to burn with the rest of them. I must have shouted ten times at Nick to kill that guard and escape with June and Hannah. When would they have a better opportunity. I'm really needing a glimmer of hope next week though as that episode was just fucking balls out sad.
Edited by Mr_Danger

On 6/22/2018 at 7:31 PM, LaGoosh said:

It will overtake The Sopranos. It's just the best TV show ever and by a significant margin. Recently rewatched the whole thing because my girlfriend hadn't seen it and it blew her away and hooked me all over again.

Final season takes the shine off The Wire for me. Nowhere near as good as the seasons prior, Simon went too far up own his hole with the newspaper angle, never mind the shite McNulty got up to. The school season with Prez and Dookie, and the docks with Frank Sobotka were The Wire at it's greatest. Sopranos was consistently good, there was never such a decline in seasons as with The Wire between 4 and 5.

I've still not seen the final season but after initially taking some getting used to the second season being quite a departure from the first season I think it's probably my favourite. I think I'll bin off watching that Impulse and get the lady to watch The Wire with me.