What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I didn't find that bit funny, because that was just shooting fish in a barrel. 

The highlight of that scene was definitely the crazy eyed guy shouting out of nowhere that black people were lucky enough to be in their town.

Through a bad spell of depression, and just wanting something 'meh' to watch, I accidentally watched all 4 series of Fresh Meat in 3 days. Was pretty decent to be fair. I already loved Zawe Ashton after Not Safe for Work, and fell even more in love with her, and to be fair, Jack Whitehall was tolerable, and there was decent support work from Robert Webb and Tony Gardner. So, yeah, was ok.

Also watched the first 2 series of Friday Night Dinner. I'd been putting it off as I really disliked Simon Bird for years, but yeah, this was very funny in places too. Mark Heap is just...a joy to watch. "Shalooooom"

I'm aware this is all a bit 2015 viewing...

• Paid Members

I agree, Who Is America nailed it this week. First week was fun and that, but light on legit belly laughs - more a case of shaking your head and thinking "what a tit".

The opening may be the high point of this entire genre, or certainly up there. A fat politician pulling down his trousers and pants, charging arse first while shouting "AMERICA!" and "TERRORIST!". Even typing that made be giggle.

• Paid Members

If you want to see Dennis Rodman break down in tears while trying to publicly insult Bruce Willis then watch The comedy central roast of Bruce Willis, or don't because it's not a particularly funny show. The definite highlight is Ed Norton appearing as one of the roasters, haven't seen him in years and never expected to see him do something like this but his highbrow monologue elevated the whole thing. 

Watched the first season of Mad Men. Can't say it's knocked my socks off or anything, and there isn't a likeable character in the whole thing, I guess that's kind of the point though.  Will give season 2 a bash and see if it's worth sticking with.

I found the first series Mad Men to be a bit slow, but thought it really picked up from series 2 onwards so I’d say stick with it. There are likeable characters as the show goes on, but as with a lot of modern TV, it’s main character is a blurred lines, shades of grey anti-hero who they obviously want you to root for, but your not given any good reason as to why you should.

I was similar with The Wire, particularly the second series of that which I know gets a lot of praise. It’s brilliantly written, well acted and so forth, but it is so fucking slow in places. Contrast that to Oz which I’m rewatching for my podcast, and those episodes are just as long yet seem to fly by due to being so well paced

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Another bout of depression and wanting easy shit to watch at 4am led me to inexplicably watching Coupling...yes, fucking Coupling. I think I found it vaguely amusing 15 years ago (probably because of Jeff), but deary me, what an awful show. Obviously wanted to be our answer to Friends, and whilst I'm not a massive Friends fan, it's gag-hit rate was pretty high, and I will admit to laughing at some of it, but this is just poor*. Written by Steven Moffat. That I never knew...

Still, at least El Chapo Series 3 is delivering...

*1000000% I'll be watching an episode tonight. I need help.

• Awards Moderator
On 7/31/2018 at 3:48 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I'm not gay but I think my favourite character is Salvatore, I love the way he holds a cigarette.

Astute. 

Mad Men is my favourite show ever. Its just so utterly perfect. Yes it's slow but in a luxurious, elegant way. Don't hang on waiting for the huge plot twists because they're very far apart. It's all about people trying to change, and ultimately failing. 

Characters are deeply different, yet often trying to reach the same goal. Compare Pete Campbell with Don throughout the show, Pete trying to be a good guy but held back by his lack of charisma and weaselness. Don doesn't even know what a good guy is but carries the facade really well. Once his facade cracks, the whole thing falls apart. 

And the production design is immaculate. If nothing else, pick a character while you're watching the show and see how they have a theme and template in their costume that changes series by series. Back when it aired live you could predict a character's series arc from their costume in episode 1 alone. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Another bout of depression and wanting easy shit to watch at 4am led me to inexplicably watching Coupling...yes, fucking Coupling. I think I found it vaguely amusing 15 years ago (probably because of Jeff), but deary me, what an awful show. Obviously wanted to be our answer to Friends, and whilst I'm not a massive Friends fan, it's gag-hit rate was pretty high, and I will admit to laughing at some of it, but this is just poor*. Written by Steven Moffat. That I never knew...

Maybe you've got too many legs?

Has anyone watched The Terror that was on BT recently? It's about a doomed voyage of two ships and their crew trying to navigate through the Northwest Passage. Pretty good show with some slightly dodgy special effects and great performances from Jared Harris and Adam Nagaitis. 

Edited by The Maestro
My thumb hurts

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

Has anyone watched The Terror that was on BT recently? It's about a doomed voyage of two ships and their crew trying to navigate through the Northwest Passage. Pretty good show with some slightly dodgy special effects and great performances from Jared Harris and Adam Nagaitis. 

I’m definitely planning to, I’m about two thirds of the way through the book at the moment so am waiting until I’ve finished it. Is it just BT you can see it on?