What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

6 hours ago, Rule One said:

The episode times are all over the place too so they probably lost the scope of what they could further potentially achieve.

I can see that becoming normal thing with streaming service originals. The people that made The OA said that they did it because chapters in a book aren't all an equal amount of pages. Some parts of the story need an hour and 15 minutes to be told where as others only need 25 minutes. When done right it can really make the show feel smooth and not dragged out or rushed.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:46 AM, Accident Prone said:

Started watching The Good Place last week and I'm now a few episodes into season 2. It's fun and the concept and cast are great. The editing and pacing does feel off though, especially towards the end of the episodes, and some of the ADR is diabolical. Either an entire character/story arch was written out or the episodes were meant to be 45 mins - 1 hour long, the editing is that slap dash some times.

But it's easy to look past these faults given the positives. Ted Danson is an absolute joy and the rest of the cast shine well. 

I started this about a week ago, and absolutely love it. I think Kristen Bell is an excellent comedic actor, and I get real Gilmore Girls vibes from it (#TeamDean)

I also just finished the first series of Fleabag which I thought was hilarious. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is now my new crush and can't wait for the second series. I bet Miranda Hart watched this with pure jealousy, as it's the show she's been trying to write for years. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I also just finished the first series of Fleabag which I thought was hilarious. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is now my new crush and can't wait for the second series. I bet Miranda Hart watched this with pure jealousy, as it's the show she's been trying to write for years. 

Fleabag was outstanding. Great, funny script with excellent characters. The genius of the main character being utterly flawed but incredibly likeable.  Like classic shows such as Porridge. Thought it was a revelation. Easily amongst my top 3 or 4 favourite sitcoms of this decade with Detectorists and Mum.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I am glad you're enjoying The Good Place, savour those first 2 seasons,  because my word Season 3 has fallen off a cliff

It's still given me laughs and I like they have had to change the format, they couldn't keep repeating themselves, but I am sure it will pick up over time

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Fleabag was outstanding. Great, funny script with excellent characters. The genius of the main character being utterly flawed but incredibly likeable.  Like classic shows such as Porridge. Thought it was a revelation. Easily amongst my top 3 or 4 favourite sitcoms of this decade with Detectorists and Mum.

It's also equally as tragic as it is hilarious, which is quite the feat. Just goes to show how brilliant Phoebe Waller-Bridge is to make you become so invested in her character. Probably the best thing I've watched this year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

No Activity 

Stumbled across this. Two Australian cops stake out a stake out which isn't a stake out.

Nothing ever happens, hence "no activity".

Thats pretty much it.

It is really fucking funny. 

Same here Bacon, I stumbled across this last week and watched 2 or 3 episodes back-to-back. Very funny, they somehow managed to convince Rose Byrne to join them in the 2nd season as well, which was quite the coup. I'm going to have to binge watch all 2 seasons this week.

Really into my foreign language series on Netflix at the minute.

Elite- fantastic very gripping really hope their is a second series next year.

La mante - a French crime drama very graphic at times but a good standalone series 

Marseille- just starting series 2 but series one kept me hooked throughout with the main characters only minor quibble is a few to many sex scenes 

Finished The Haunting of Hill House over the weekend. It never quite keeps up the quality of the earlier episodes and the scares are completely diluted by the fifth or sixth episode but by then you're invested in the characters and it holds it's own as a family drama as much as a horror. Leans heavily on jump scares but as a dad of 5 I found myself extremely freaked out with the kids scenes. Definitely one of Netflixs better efforts.

Daario Naharas was mostly shit.

Oh and Carla Gugino saunters around in various nighties most of the time.

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Same here Bacon, I stumbled across this last week and watched 2 or 3 episodes back-to-back. Very funny, they somehow managed to convince Rose Byrne to join them in the 2nd season as well, which was quite the coup. I'm going to have to binge watch all 2 seasons this week.

"You ever had a nana-wank?"