What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Tofu Pro Wrestling

Its a Japanese drama about some high school girls, the plot was all over the place so I’ve wikipediad a synopsis and posted below

Miyawaki Yohei was a professional wrestler, who opened his own tofu shop after his retirement. He always tried to get his daughter Sakura interested in Pro Wrestling, but she never cared for it. Then the day came when he unexpectedly died, and Sakura inherited his dojo and tofu shop. Yasagi Eiichirou claims Sakura's father died without having paid his debt to her and the only way Sakura can repay this debt is if she wins the WIP (World Idol Pro Wrestling) championship. Together with his father's assistant, Yokoyama Yui, she opens the dojo again and trains together with her friends and girls from school. 

Two live events were held after the show had finished airing:

I watched one of the matches from the first live event this morning and they didn’t look out of place at all, was a very enjoyable 15min Tag match, I’ll be watching the rest probably later on.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Tofu Pro Wrestling

Its a Japanese drama about some high school girls, the plot was all over the place so I’ve wikipediad a synopsis and posted below

I, for one, am truly shocked at this revelation.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Tofu Pro Wrestling

39px-Symbol_support_vote.svg.png This is a useless post.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

A friend got me and the missus onto Friday Night Dinner and we bloody love it. I'd always passed it off as typical cringe comedy but it's genuinely funny. We're just coming to the end of series two and there's a bit of a decline in quality but not much to drag the show down. Just seems like the ideas are getting more and more outlandish whereas I enjoyed the more down-to-Earth ideas from the first lot. Hope it stays somewhat relatable and believable in the next few series'.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Awards Moderator

Love Friday Night Dinner. Yes they sometimes go a bit out there but never too far. The most recent (final?) episode has a very odd finish not quite in keeping with the rest of the show.

Worth it for Mark Heap and Paul Ritter alone.

I've just read on Wikipedia that there was an American pilot with Alison Janney and Tony Shalhoub. I really want to see that.

• Paid Members

One of the few sitcoms of the last ten years or so that I've watched several times. It's got a bit of everything, lots of repitition, some catchprasey type stuff, some cringe, some swearing but beneath all that, it's a really good, simple script that delivers laughs and well-defined characters you can love and hate in equal measure. A really great cast too. It's not trying to be too clever but isn't dumbed down so I think it's got a really wide scope. Not sure how popular it is though. Most people I mention it to have never heard of it and I work with someone who absolutely detests it. I don't care, I think it's marvellous, bobble.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Love Friday Night Dinner. Yes they sometimes go a bit out there but never too far. The most recent (final?) episode has a very odd finish not quite in keeping with the rest of the show.

Worth it for Mark Heap and Paul Ritter alone.

I've just read on Wikipedia that there was an American pilot with Alison Janney and Tony Shalhoub. I really want to see that.

Love the casting. I'm a big Green WIng fan so Grieg and Heap made the show very easy to get into. Paul Ritter is the star of the show though and he reminds me of my father-in-law to no end. 

Talking of Green WIng, I caught some of the new Sabrina on Netflix and ruddy hell, there's Sue White! 

Just now, tiger_rick said:

One of the few sitcoms of the last ten years or so that I've watched several times. It's got a bit of everything, lots of repitition, some catchprasey type stuff, some cringe, some swearing but beneath all that, it's a really good, simple script that delivers laughs and well-defined characters you can love and hate in equal measure. A really great cast too. It's not trying to be too clever but isn't dumbed down so I think it's got a really wide scope. Not sure how popular it is though. Most people I mention it to have never heard of it and I work with someone who absolutely detests it. I don't care, I think it's marvellous, bobble.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. 'Crimble Crumble' is all ready a mainstay in our house lexicon, and "Two Wilsons!" is becoming a great in-joke for when we come across two identical sets of fucking anything. 

• Paid Members

There she goes concludes tonight on BBC 4. A little comedy/drama gem starring my unconventional hotty Jessica Hynes and Dave Tennant about a family with a learning disabled child. My son has a very similar condition and the young girl playing her is a revalation. It is a shame it has been shunted out to BBC 4 rather then mainstream BBC but I highly recommend it. All episodes are on Iplayer of course.

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

We tried Friday Night Dinner and really didn't like it - contrary to your point I've bolded, we didn't love and hate them, we just hated them. They all seemed like a bunch of horrible people neither of us would want to spend time with. Mark Heap is brilliant in it but didn't turn up often enough to keep us going. Once we'd got through three episodes without laughing once we gave up.

I'd give a Janney/Shalhoub version a go, though.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator