What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Watched the first couple of episode for The Sinner series 2 last night. It already feels a bit slicker now it's found it's formula and Bill Pullman looks ripped. I think Carrie Coon will elevate this greatly I'm just worried about the kid with the Simon Barlow old man face stinking it up.

• Paid Members

There is a Christmas special of No Activity this year (original Australian version), but no idea if it'll be shown over here. We only got the first two series fairly recently on BBC. @SuperBacon might know...

@Gus Mears Call The Midwife is horrible tripe, at least it's limited to Christmas specials these days (I think?), my wife watches them. It's easily become the worst part of Christmas for me.

10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

There is a Christmas special of No Activity this year (original Australian version), but no idea if it'll be shown over here. We only got the first two series fairly recently on BBC. @SuperBacon might know...

@Gus Mears Call The Midwife is horrible tripe, at least it's limited to Christmas specials these days (I think?), my wife watches them. It's easily become the worst part of Christmas for me.

Not sure mate, just had a quick look and can’t find any info for it but I’m sure I’ll WATCH the SERIES and I’m excited for it... RU?

Just finished Narcos:Mexico and it was definitely of the standard of the first 3 series despite my bae Pedro Pascal obviously not being in it. But Diego Luna more than made up for his absence. Cracking, understated performance 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I remember when I'd pick up the Xmas Radio Times (other publications are available) and excitedly circle all of the Xmas specials of great TV shows I had to see plus the films I wanted to see (or in most cases - see again). I read an article yesterday about the Xmas TV and there is absolutely nothing of any note coming up. It's so sad. It'll be Gold and UK Food again all Xmas.

Always had to wait for the Radio Times to plan Christmas. Occasionally we'd jump the gun and try it with the free Christmas telly guide you get in the paper a few weeks before but i'll be damned if i can plan a full day of tv around their 'Film:TBC' bullshit

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I remember when I'd pick up the Xmas Radio Times (other publications are available) and excitedly circle all of the Xmas specials of great TV shows I had to see plus the films I wanted to see (or in most cases - see again). I read an article yesterday about the Xmas TV and there is absolutely nothing of any note coming up. It's so sad. It'll be Gold and UK Food again all Xmas.

While there is a definite lack of decent Christmas specials now, that's more because there was fuck all on the rest of the year in those days. I get a nostalgic glow from the sight of a double-thick Radio Times as much as the next man, but I hope we're never so lacking in media to get excited about the TV premiere of a film that's 4 years old ever again.

Also, I bet most of it was shite and we were just dumb kids who didn't know better. "Brill! Noel's Christmas Presents!"

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is showing a recentish big movie on terrestrial TV at Christmas still a thing?

Yes, I think so, BBC made a bit of a fuss about showing Frozen and Avengers a couple of years ago. At least, they were advertised frequently enough that I remembered they were on!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

They weren't even films you wanted to watch most of the time. I swear we had about a five year run in the late 90's/early 2000's where Titanic ended up being on every year on Christmas Day. 

The last page of this has made me want to preface every post with Bob Mortimer doing the club comedian 'DO YA REMEMBER?' bit. 

Edited by Gus Mears

The one I remember being a really huge deal that it was on TV at Christmas was Jurassic Park. That must have been 95 I think. Christmas is good for sometimes catching random films on at 2pm on the 28th or something when nothing is on. Also the last 2 years running BBC have shown the Indiana Jones films so always a plus.

In terms of TV specials, maybe Doctor Who was the last big event TV at that time of year (that one with Kylie got huge ratings, as did Tennant's last one) The days of Only Fools are long gone. The Royle Family was always worth a watch (even though the quality had fallen) Mrs Brown Boys still packs it in though, that's always been the BBC's banker the last few years (god knows why it gets so many but to each their own)

I always find BBC 4 a great treasure trove at Christmas. They put such random but great stuff on there.