What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

On 12/15/2018 at 11:46 AM, wordsfromlee said:

I re-watched the 12 Days of Christine episode of Inside No.9 last night. Absolutely brilliant stuff. I forgot how much I love Sheridan Smith. A lot.

I don't know how many times I've watched this, but it gets me every time. Even though I know what's coming I still end up crying like a baby. The moment she realises what's happening as she's looking through the photo album is heart breaking.

10 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The last ever episode of People Just Do Nothing was brilliant! One of the best British comedies around in my book.

“Think it’s safe to say that Kurupt FM has reached legendary status and if you don’t like that, you can fuck off”

That last episode was excellent, and I'm a huge fan of the show, but the series fell short for me. Mich and Grindah's characters seemed to go too far into parody, and became really, really annoying and I really only enjoyed Chabuddy and Steves throughout the series. But yeah agreed, one of the best british comedies for a long time.

Shout out them visiting my old college as well, although they kept it pure kayfabe as they visited Richmond College, and the Kurupt boys definitely attended West Thames College... Each and every...

• Paid Members

I'm gutted that it's ended, but I suppose it was inevitable with the like of "Cabuddy" becoming more of mainstream star(Isn't he in a big comedy on Sky One soon)...

Hope we get a few bigger, longer Christmas special type episodes in the coming years.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Speaking of specials, there's a two hour Inbetweeners special on New Year's Day, didn't see that coming. Looking forward to that. I expected to movies to be shit but they really weren't.

It’s a look back rather then a new episode from what I’ve seen

11 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I'm gutted that it's ended, but I suppose it was inevitable with the like of "Cabuddy" becoming more of mainstream star(Isn't he in a big comedy on Sky One soon)...

Hope we get a few bigger, longer Christmas special type episodes in the coming years.

I'm hoping for a This Country/PJDN crossover episode. Maybe for something like Comic Relief like the Kurupt lads did with Ed Sheeran which was brilliant.

Flowers

This completely bypassed me when it came out but I watched all of series 1 today. What a beautiful, brave, honest little show. Mental health in comedy is hard to pull off, but this was handled so well.

Some of it was a bit close to the bone for me (especially Maurice’s confession tapes), but I was honestly blown away by this show. Everyone is excellent, but especially Julian Barrett and Olivia Colman, and the lovely Sophia Di Martino. Well worth watching.

Click & Collect

This was...OK. Had it on in background whilst I was cooking and it was a pretty easy watch. Got a bit heavy handed at one point, but great to see Asim Chaudhry in anything (Hounslow represent), and the aforementioned Sophia Di Martino (as if Merchant could bag himself a woman like that), but lolz at him recycling the ‘only got a note for a homeless person’ gag from Extras. For shame.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Watership Down on the BBC had been a bit of a disappointment.

Yeah the animation was so rough. Clearly the story wasn't particularly engaging or I wouldn't be so distracted by the janky bunnies. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Click & Collect

This was...OK. Had it on in background whilst I was cooking and it was a pretty easy watch. Got a bit heavy handed at one point, but great to see Asim Chaudhry in anything (Hounslow represent), and the aforementioned Sophia Di Martino (as if Merchant could bag himself a woman like that), but lolz at him recycling the ‘only got a note for a homeless person’ gag from Extras. For shame.

I liked it. It was nice to see some original comedy written for Xmas that wasn't the five hundredth special of an existing show or a fucking panel show. It wasn't big or clever and it acknowledged itself that it was a rip off of Jingle all the way but it was perfect Xmas Eve family TV. More of this please.

12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Flowers

This completely bypassed me when it came out but I watched all of series 1 today. What a beautiful, brave, honest little show. Mental health in comedy is hard to pull off, but this was handled so well.

Some of it was a bit close to the bone for me (especially Maurice’s confession tapes), but I was honestly blown away by this show. Everyone is excellent, but especially Julian Barrett and Olivia Colman, and the lovely Sophia Di Martino. Well worth watching.

I didn't finish the series. It was very good but I just felt uncomfortable watching it. Real life is uncomfortable enough. I like escapism in TV too much.

21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I liked it. It was nice to see some original comedy written for Xmas that wasn't the five hundredth special of an existing show or a fucking panel show. It wasn't big or clever and it acknowledged itself that it was a rip off of Jingle all the way but it was perfect Xmas Eve family TV. More of this please.

I didn't finish the series. It was very good but I just felt uncomfortable watching it. Real life is uncomfortable enough. I like escapism in TV too much.

That’s fair enough. What made you feel uncomfortable? The subject matter?

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That’s fair enough. What made you feel uncomfortable? The subject matter?

It's hardly a "ha ha" subject anyway but it's just generally dark, has a creepy feel and characters who are all a bit perverse. As well done as it was, I never found any of it funny, unlike something like Fleabag which is quite serious and closer to drama than sitcom really but does make me laugh a lot.