What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Is anyone old enough (@Thunderplex, obvs) to recall a time when you had to buy Radio Times AND TV Times, as Radio Times only had BBC channel schedules, whereas TV Times had ITV & Channel 4?

Yes, and I’m that fucking old, they were etched onto slate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Years behind the curve on this one, but because it's recently been added to Netflix, I've watched through Ash vs. Evil Dead over the past few days. It's bloody good, isn't it?

It gets the balance of Ash as a quipping action hero, absolute loser, and a bit of a selfish prick exactly right, and makes him feel like a coherent character, whereas other attempts at expanding the franchise had maybe moved too far in one direction at the expense of the others. Does a really good job of expanding the mythology of the series without feeling like it's over-explaining it to the point of killing its mystery, too. Really good stuff.

• Awards Moderator
On 12/4/2018 at 3:07 PM, Keith Houchen said:

And in my Mad Men run, I'm gutted.

Reveal hidden contents

Lane hanged himself, he was so ace.

I knew it was coming, but couldn't say anything. If you sit back and look at where we met him to where he ends up it's a great storyline.

There are hints everywhere in that season. If you go back searching through forums you could see the speculation rampant that someone was going to commit suicide.

13 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I knew it was coming, but couldn't say anything

I've been updating my brother as to where I'm at and I was saying how he was my favourite character since Sal got binned.  He replied with "I've been waiting for this text".

I watch alot of stuff on kodi  (currently rewatching bad girls) 

But I've been watching this season of the apprentice my God it's been awful this series not one likeable candidate and some of the worSt tasks and most cringe worthy moments since its launch 

On 12/13/2018 at 5:24 PM, BomberPat said:

Years behind the curve on this one, but because it's recently been added to Netflix, I've watched through Ash vs. Evil Dead over the past few days. It's bloody good, isn't it?

It gets the balance of Ash as a quipping action hero, absolute loser, and a bit of a selfish prick exactly right, and makes him feel like a coherent character, whereas other attempts at expanding the franchise had maybe moved too far in one direction at the expense of the others. Does a really good job of expanding the mythology of the series without feeling like it's over-explaining it to the point of killing its mystery, too. Really good stuff.

Yeah, man. I thought exactly the same thing. It's really cool that his cowardly, selfish nature isn't downplayed. I thought it was tremendous! "GIVE ME MY BOOK!" I watched it at the same time as Preacher, so it was great having two of my beloved old obsessions rendered so well. 

Edit so I don't rile Keith, but I've been re-watching Cheers from the start. I'm up to season 9 now and it's really felt like a journey, from the 80s to the cusp of the 90s. I'm an old softie who prefers Sam/Diane to Sam/Rebecca, as there was a pathos to the former that the latter couldn't quite reach. The early episodes had the air of a stage play, almost: the handsome bar manager teaching the pretentious ingenue (hashtag Frasier) the ways of the world. Shelly Long was just fantastic. Got a tear in my eye just typing this... wouldn't you like to get away?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

Just finished the second series of Atlanta. What a talent Donald Glover is. Some of the finest TV I’ve ever seen in this series. running 3 episodes without your main character in it is a brave, brave move that not many people would have the balls to do.

The ‘piano’ episode. Fucking hell. What a show 

• Paid Members

Christmas break more or less underway now give or take a couple of short shifts so it’s boxset time. Kicking off with Peep Show. It had to end and it ended at the right time, but the early seasons of the show take some beating. Seasons 1-4 are up there with my all time favourite series for any show ever conceived. 

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I re-watched the 12 Days of Christine episode of Inside No.9 last night. Absolutely brilliant stuff. I forgot how much I love Sheridan Smith. A lot.

Only rewatched that this week myself. Sheridan is indeed amazing. 

Been on a compete Inside No.9 rewatch. The standard is so good.