What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Got to say, I'm still two episodes from the end but I'm loving Jim Carreys newest programme, Kidding. Such a wonderfully, nuanced series so far. Proof if ever need be that when he's asked to, Carrey is very good at adopting a dramatic acting masterclass. Can't recommend enough...

On 11/11/2018 at 11:56 AM, wordsfromlee said:

Only two episodes in so far but season two of The Sinner is absolutely brilliant!

On 11/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I'm two episodes in as well! Carrie Coon is ace in everything, probably Hulk Hogans favourite as well, I just hope it doesn't all go to shit. 

Well, it was good but unsurprisingly went off the boil a bit towards the end.  Still worth watching though and you don't have to have seen the first series to get it.

I'm about to watch the last episode of Jack Ryan, which has been good.  Mainly because The Bunk is in it and he is fucking ace.  And in Mad Men, the brilliant Lane just had a fight with Campbell and it was fantastic television.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

And in Mad Men, the brilliant Lane just had a fight with Campbell and it was fantastic television.

Yes! So stiff and upper class. Campbell gets his arse - sorry, ass - handed to him handily. 

maxresdefault.jpg

And what a great character Lane is. But it's Jared Harris so duh. The lens of a Brit abroad, stranded, hen-pecked, hated by his kids... He has a tremendous arc. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Has anyone watched Great News? The cast is great and I really want to like it but the writing has been pretty patchy so far. I've only watched the first two episodes. I hope it gets better.

Gets a bit better as it goes on, especially towards the back end of the first series. Feels a bit like a sub-par 30 Rock, but it's decent enough. Second season has Tina Fey though, so I have higher hopes for that.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Has anyone watched Great News? The cast is great and I really want to like it but the writing has been pretty patchy so far. I've only watched the first two episodes. I hope it gets better.

It's got John Michael Higgins in it which already means I am interested in it. I believe it has just been cancelled though

• Moderators

Oh, the season I started watching has Tina Fey introduced in the first episode so I assume I jumped straight into the second by accident?

She is basically playing a female Jack Donaghy. I was hoping it would find it's feet as something of a cross between 30 Rock and Drop the Dead Donkey.

I watched The Sinner series 1 this week. It's fine enough but two things really let it down towards the end for me.

The fingering of the sister and the lack of real explanation why the obsessive mother just brushed off her death/disappearance and never looked in to it or brought it up with Jessica Biel

I really liked Bill Pullmans quasi autistic detective and I'm glad he's in the second series otherwise I don't think I'd have bothered. It's somewhere between The Following and True Detective for me.

• Paid Members
On 11/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, Onyx2 said:

And what a great character Lane is. But it's Jared Harris so duh. The lens of a Brit abroad, stranded, hen-pecked, hated by his kids... He has a tremendous arc. 

Lane Price is indeed a great character, although the name sounds like it was clearly thought up by an American - I've never once heard of anyone British called "Lane", male or female. Sounds quite American, with their penchant for giving their kids surnames as first names.

Jared Harris is bloody great. He's excellent in The Expanse, which I thoroughly recommend to anyone. 

41 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Lane Price is indeed a great character, although the name sounds like it was clearly thought up by an American - I've never once heard of anyone British called "Lane", male or female. Sounds quite American, with their penchant for giving their kids surnames as first names. 

It could just be a name that has ceased to be through changing trends. When Lane comes into the show it’s around 1963, and he must be in his 40s, so he’d have been named in the 20s.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It could just be a name that has ceased to be through changing trends. When Lane comes into the show it’s around 1963, and he must be in his 40s, so he’d have been named in the 20s.

I guess, but you'd expect to see some representation of that in literature, or other cultural texts, like radio or TV. Not that I've read every classic British book or seen/heard every programme, but I've not come across that name at all.

• Moderators
On 11/30/2018 at 10:19 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh, the season I started watching has Tina Fey introduced in the first episode so I assume I jumped straight into the second by accident?

She is basically playing a female Jack Donaghy. I was hoping it would find it's feet as something of a cross between 30 Rock and Drop the Dead Donkey.

Despite being heavily advertised around Tina Fey she is only in the first three episodes, it seems. That combined with the poor writing means that I am out.

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of ‘Kidding’ tonight, with Jim Carey. Was quite slow build, but I can see the show picking up as it goes along. By the end of the episode I was really getting in to it, however, I’m trying not to burn through it too quick as they are only half hour episodes.

• Paid Members

I remember when I'd pick up the Xmas Radio Times (other publications are available) and excitedly circle all of the Xmas specials of great TV shows I had to see plus the films I wanted to see (or in most cases - see again). I read an article yesterday about the Xmas TV and there is absolutely nothing of any note coming up. It's so sad. It'll be Gold and UK Food again all Xmas.

• Paid Members

The only thing I even vaguely want to watch is Poirot and even then I'm not convinced at all about John Malkovich playing the role. 

Worst part for me is Call the fucking Midwife coming back again. I don't think last year's special has ended yet.