What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

Finished The Haunting of Hill House. What the fuck was up with

the old age make-up on the janitors right near the end? The most preposterous costuming I've ever seen, like a fucking Santa at a village craft fair. Took me out of the emotional moment by reducing me to absolute hysterics. It's like that bit in Coppola's Dracula when they show the emotional toll events have taken on Harker by rubbing talc in Keanu's hair.

29 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Fucking hell, I've cried so much tonight at Stokes making the sound of a dog getting hit by a car.

"He had...just a slight smile on his face"

Just finished series 1. When you get to the last episode, keep watching through the credits. 

What a show. 

• Paid Members

Had our Niece over this past weekend and now I'm hooked on Apple and Onion on Cartoon Network.
It's hard to describe why, but the animation style, especially the facials has me in hysterics. Some genuinely funny lines in it too, very self-aware and stupid.

Richard Aoyade does one of the voices and it's got some other familiars from the likes of Bob's Burgers and stuff in it. 

• Paid Members

I honetly do not get this whole world of taking two everyday objects and turning into a cartoon. Is creativity now so shit they just look in their fridge and the first two items they see will be the lead characters in their next show. it's no Hey Dugee 

• Paid Members

Just finished season 2 of The Expanse which is just really great sci-fi. Loved it.

Also working my way through Steven Universe. It's incredibly sweet and lovely. Kids cartoons these days are way better than the shit I grew up with. 

• Paid Members

Just watched the first Sally4ever.  Julia Davis is one of the most consitantly excellent comedy writers around.  Painfully cringeworthy at several spots.

• Paid Members

The drop in quality between series 1 and 2 of Nighty Night is so astronomical, it really put me off Julia Davis. It's like she had no idea what made the first one so good. That said, she's done enough good stuff  in the past (Human Remains, various very funny guest appearances) that I'll check this out. 

So The Haunting of Hill House, two hours of story and another 6 of filler or however long the show actually is. I'm doing it a great disservice there as it's pretty damn decent filler but it could easily have just been a movie. Also, stop lingering on the spooks for so long, they stop being spooky.

Psychoville is amazing, I'm revisiting the blu-ray for Halloween instead of going through a bunch of films this year and it's having me in stitches all over again. Inside No.9 is the better and cleverer show but this still holds up really well a decade later.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Is she playing another misanthropic self-centered shrew every man in the cast wants to (and does) have grotesque sex with for comic effect?

Almost.