What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

On 9/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, LaGoosh said:

Adventure Time had it's season finale last week and it was a beautiful ending to an amazing show. Two spectacular music moments ensured that there wasn't a dry eye to be found.  I think/hope looking back that Adventure Time will be seen as the inspirational and incredibly clever show that it is. I'm now going to have to move on to Steven Universe for my animation fix. I have high hopes.

I watch Steven Universe with my little girl and it's genuinely brilliant. There'll be people who hate on it because it does get into things like feelings and issues, and you know we can't talk about those things, because Gods forbid we teach empathy to our kids.

Ahem, sorry. Yeah in terms of character and world building it's awesome.

1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

American Vandal S2 is a masterpiece. Sat down for a couple of episodes and ended up burning through the whole thing. For a (really, really funny) comedy, the storyline is unbelievably compelling.

I only got round to watching the first season a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. One of the best originals Netflix have. I'm glad the second season is living up to the first.

Kakegurui 

Fun little Japanese show on Netflix, watched all 10 episodes of this today, it’s about a gambling school, with students in debt becoming slaves, every episode you’ll get to watch a new game take place between the main character Yumeko and whoever is in her path.  Will probably give the anime version a spin after this.

• Paid Members

Just finished Ozark's second season on Netflix. I thought it was good. The show isn't without its issues but it is certainly one of my personal favourite series at the moment. If you haven't bothered with it, I recommend watching both seasons. I heard some people basically say it's a show trying to be Breaking Basz but it really isn't. The season two finale indicates that I'm sure there will be a third season, not to mention it is apparently one of Netflix most popular shows.

It definitely has it's similarities. Middle class white American does crime with white trash side kick. It does have more focus on it's supporting cast though. I think the main young redneck fella is a talent. He put in a good turn in Super Dark Times. My main problem with Ozark is Jason Bateman. He's just a less likeable Michael Bluth in it.

On season 3 of Mad Men.  Still think everyone is a prick but it's decent background fodder.  Started season 1 of Vikings.  Hate the way they speak English with a Scandy accent, but liked it that when they went to England, they spoke a different language.  HAsn't gripped me yet, Floki is annoying and Ragnar reminds me too much of a smiling Jax Teller to like him.  His lad is a twat as well but his wife and Gabriel Bjorn (Ha, see what I did there) are good.

Been watching Red Dwarf all the way through from the start as I've never actually done it before. I've just started series 7 and the lack of laugh track is really off putting. It's like when they got rid of it in series 3 of League of Gentlemen. People bash laughter tracks on TV shows all the time, but for some shows, it just works.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It definitely has it's similarities. Middle class white American does crime with white trash side kick. It does have more focus on it's supporting cast though. I think the main young redneck fella is a talent. He put in a good turn in Super Dark Times. My main problem with Ozark is Jason Bateman. He's just a less likeable Michael Bluth in it.

It does have some similarities initially but, I feel, deviates quite quickly from them.

I mean, by the end of season two you've got their 12(?) year old son laundering cash and Wendy having the Cartel kill Cade (although Cade didn't turn out to be quite as ominous as he seemed he'd end up being in season one). This is the whole family getting in good, finally, with the Cartel and likely going to war with the Kansas City mob. I saw Darlene killing Jacob before Jacob could kill her coming, but it's a shame. I kinda liked Jacob, despite his heroin trafficking and murdering and what have you. I personally really like Bateman in this. Yeah, there is an element of Michael Bluth there, but for me, his performances have been great. But his downfall for sure is going to be what has already been said to him: he's no good with people. His man management skills are awful.

Just caught up with Bodyguard. I like it a lot, but I don't think it quite hits the heights that Line of Duty has. Which is fine, because now I'm going to re-watch Line of Duty again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Has anyone caught "Take The Tower" yet on ITV4? It's like a bastard love child of Crystal Maze and a movie version of Telly Adducts and it stars Dolph Fucking Lundgren!

It's set up like Dolph is the movie villian, and is at the top of "his" tower. A team of 5 must start at the bottom and take on movie themes quests to move up the tower. If they fail one is "thrown" out of the tower by Dolph and we're treated to a brilliantly tacky green screen shot of them falling to their death.

The final is a quick draw type contest between the survivors of Dolph Fucking Ludgren. It's shit, but in a really brilliant way!

Also, proceeding it there is a football quiz on with tTm Vine as the ref, that is quite fun..

Final Fantasy XIV: Dad Of Light

Got through this on Netflix last night, was pleasantly surprised, it’s a heartwarming Japanese show about a son who tries to reconnect with his father over the MMORPG game as they don’t really communicate in the real world.

There's a new show on Netflix called Elite, I've only watched the first episode so far but it looks like it could be great. It's a Spanish high-school based murder mystery that's heavy on sociopolitical issues, just make sure you turn off the English dubbing as it's baad.