What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Still on iPlayer is a docudrama about the comedian Dave Allen, "Dave Allen at Peace." Littlefinger from GoT plays Allen.

It's a mix of biographical stuff and r reenactments of sketches and monologues.

Littlefinger played Allen and Varys played his brother. 

It was very good I thought. If you watched the documentary afterwards you could see how well Aiden Gillen played him. 

• Paid Members

Should I talk about my watching Cunk On Britain here or on the documentary thread? It always amazes me that Diane Morgan can deliver the lines she does and still keep a straight face.

Ash vs Evil Dead is getting better and better per episode but it's likely to be getting cancelled due to poor ratings on Starz after the final episode of season 3 in 2 weeks, however there's been talk of Netflix picking the show up for a fourth season or better yet a 4th film (5th if you count the reboot) to close out the franchise

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of BBC's adaptation of The City & The City. Pleasantly surprised.

China Mieville's stuff, by and large, feels like it should be inherently unfilmable, but they did a decent enough job with this one, though, particularly as the central premise could have been very difficult to pull off on TV, but it seems to work well. Atmosphere is great, and stylistically I like everything about it. Only real downside so far is David Morrissey playing the most generic of gruff cops, but that's almost necessary for the story to work.

Anyone catch True Horror on Channel 4 last night?

A decent enough premise, a crimewatch type reconstruction of an apparent haunting, but the execution was terrible.  Every ad break seemed to have a teaser jump scare and it ruined any rhythm of the storytelling.  It was a shame as it could have been decent, but it turned out shite.

• Paid Members

Since the Roseanne revival I've gone back and started it from scratch. There's a lot of nostalgia there that I'd completely forgot about. The thing is it never seems to get mentioned in the great sitcoms discussions but it really is top notch. I'm just starting season 3 now.

• Paid Members
On 4/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Ash vs Evil Dead is getting better and better per episode but it's likely to be getting cancelled due to poor ratings on Starz after the final episode of season 3 in 2 weeks, however there's been talk of Netflix picking the show up for a fourth season or better yet a 4th film (5th if you count the reboot) to close out the franchise

Just seen the cancelation has been confirmed by Starz. I hope there is some truth in the Netflix rumour as it's a cracking little show...

I started watching Boardwalk Empire from Season 2 so I can't speak for the first season as a whole, but from what I've seen, it's a great show, and a similar vibe to the Sopranos.

The Wire isn't as accessible; you need to pay a lot more attention to it. I also think it's a little bit overrated. 

I haven't watched much GOT. I'm not into the science fiction/fantasy genres. From what I've seen of it, it's a bit gratuitous in terms of nudity and horror; almost like a fantasy version of Saw.

If you do watch the Wire or Boardwalk Empire, give it time, as they both hit their stride in Season 2.

• Paid Members

I've just finished Netflix's Lost In Space reboot thingy. It's not the worst show I've ever watched, but I agree with many opinions I've seen online where it felt like a series long pilot. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Also, watched the first episode of Amazon's "The Crossing", which has some serious potential in my opinion...

Breaking Bad’s first series suffered from the writer’s strike, hence why it’s only 7 episodes.

Ive tried numerous times with The Wire, and while it is acted & written very well it moves at a snail’s pace in places. I’ve watched through all the major HBO 1hr dramas, and none of them seem to drag as much The Wire did. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that I stuck with it, but it was a slog at times, S2 in particular