What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

So I'd never heard of Love on Netflix, but wanted something kind of romantic and easy to watch so stuck it on with no idea of what it was about and what a little gem!

I know Gillian Jacobs from Community, and she's an absolute babe and really excellent as Mickey, nailing her characters neuroses and anxieties.

I'd never heard of Paul Rust before and I don't think I've ever seen him in anything, but he's great as super nice guy Gus, and the show is just really lovely to be honest. You can tell that Judd Apatow is involved, and whilst it hasn't raised any actual belly laughs from me, it is very funny, has a smart script and one episode ended with Just A Friend by Biz Markie which is an all time classic. Claudia O'Doherty is really sweet as Mickey's room mate. It has really cheered me up the last few days, so I recommend it if you want a bit of a 'Oh-maybe-true-love-DOES-exist' vibe (having said that, I've only watched series 1 so far and there is another to watch, and a 3rd that has just been commissioned as well)

the kiss at the end of series 1 might be the most sincere, romantic kiss I've ever seen

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So I'd never heard of Love on Netflix, but wanted something kind of romantic and easy to watch so stuck it on with no idea of what it was about and what a little gem!

Reveal hidden contents

the kiss at the end of series 1 might be the most sincere, romantic kiss I've ever seen

Reveal hidden contents

I think it was on here that I mentioned about Love to some colleagues?

Anyway, Just general chatter at work during lunch, my female manager and a couple of other seniors were talking about Netflix, what to watch and one of them said something that triggered me to suggest Love.

The next morning they came in and just looked at me like a perverted freak... they ended up accidentally watching the film on Netflix with the same name, which starts with a full on uncensored, up close blow job scene, including spunk dripping off her chin.

Nice one.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

2 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I think it was on here that I mentioned about Love to some colleagues?

Anyway, Just general chatter at work during lunch, my female manager and a couple of other seniors were talking about Netflix, what to watch and one of them said something that triggered me to suggest Love.

The next morning they came in and just looked at me like a perverted freak... they ended up accidentally watching the film on Netflix with the same name, which starts with a full on uncensored, up close blow job scene, including spunk dripping off her chin.

Nice one.

Hahahahahaha, excellent. The Gaspar Noe film right? Couldn't be a starker contrast. You should've just toughed it out and said "Yeah, that's the one I meant"

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I r Gillian Jacobs from Community, and she's an absolute babe and really excellent as Mickey, nailing her characters neuroses and anxieties.

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

I don't get along with Apatow's films but Love really is sweet. It got such a good heart, it caught me by surprise. There's a scene featuring Wings' Jet that I really love. 

New series due in March! 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm addicted to Bargain Hunt. I'm not sorry. The place I work stops at 12:15 so we can all watch it.

Likewise. It's always on telly in the canteen, and I've taken to working my lunch breaks out around it. Natasha Raskin is my daytime telly crush.

I quite enjoyed Altered Carbon. It's a bit messy and convoluted in parts but if you can get past Joel Kinnamans lingering arse/player lines shots then theres plenty of good stuff in there. You also see a bit (lot) of full frontal from ex Neighbour Katya Kinski. 

Finished up Everything Sucks! on Netflix, a lovely little show. There are some nice nostalgic touches, but it is NOT Freaks and Geeks or Stranger Things Part 2, as some people have dubbed it, if that's putting anyone off. It actually reminded me of Malcolm In The Middle or The Goldbergs more than those shows.

The direction is a bit wonky sometimes, but the leads, especially Peyton Kennedy and Jahi Di'Allo Winston are really bloody good. Kennedy especially, who for 14 years of age, shows a performance of massive maturity. Marked out hearing Popular by Nada Surf as well. In fact, the whole soundtrack is excellent.

Echo that. Everything Sucks! is a really fun and sincere show that balances the comedy and the seriousness pretty well, also at 30 mins an episode it makes it an easy watch. Well cast and well acted in pretty much every role (McQuaid being a favourite of mine outside of the leads) and a soundtrack that makes you reminisce of the 90's.

I chucked it on by chance just intending to have some background noise while doing some work, ended up taking notice immediately and binging all 10 episodes in one go. Hopefully gets a second season.

• Moderators

Seriously?

I stuck it on and didn't make it more than five minutes it because I thought it was fucking terrible. Trying to be like the Goldbergs for the 90s but with none of the charm, or decent writing.

The intro music alone was so fucking hacky in a "look at all this stuff from the 90s" way it really turned me off.

Maybe I'll have to go back and give it more of a chance. But I suspect I'm right and the two of you have rubbish taste! :p

Edited by Chest Rockwell