What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, JNLister said:

Looks like a continuation of the second in the series being the best, following on from A Quiet Night In, Twelve Days Of Christine and The Bill, which would surely make up the greatest ever showreel.

Zero BAFTAs to date. Ludicrous.

That is a curious little note but you're right. They are the standouts in the first two series and this will be hard to top.

Watched series one of The Detectorists.  My word, it's wonderful isn't it?  I love Toby Jones anyway and he is perfect.  Worryingly though, I saw myself in him at times, such as when talking about quiz shows.  The warmth between Andy and Lance reminds me of Jack and Miles in Sideways and that isn't a bad thing.  I was floored when Lance was talking to Sophie about his ex wife asking for a loan.

"Why can't her new bloke help her out"

"Because he's a cunt"

The delivery, timing, everything was perfect.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Two and a half episodes into the newest series of The Black Mirror, and I think it’s a big improvement over the previous series.

I think it went downhill actually. I think it maybe time for Brooker to leave it alone. The last episode (Black Museum) was probably my favourite of this run, on Hang the DJ. But he either needs to spend more time in-between runs writing or just stopping.

Inside Number 9 mind you seems to get better and better. Two amazing episodes

• Paid Members
On 1/11/2018 at 2:03 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Watched series one of The Detectorists.  My word, it's wonderful isn't it?  I love Toby Jones anyway and he is perfect.  Worryingly though, I saw myself in him at times, such as when talking about quiz shows.  The warmth between Andy and Lance reminds me of Jack and Miles in Sideways and that isn't a bad thing.

Watched the first series yesterday after the recommendation. Loved it. Managed to be warm and genuinely funny and the relationship between the leads is great. 

Does it stay at the same quality all the way through?

On 1/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, chokeout said:

Watched the first series yesterday after the recommendation. Loved it. Managed to be warm and genuinely funny and the relationship between the leads is great. 

Does it stay at the same quality all the way through?

It absolutely does :)

I love watching horror anthology shows like Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, The Outer Limits, Monsters, Masters of Horror and Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

I kind of prefer the best episodes of Tales from the Crypt because of the gore, nudity, Cryptkeeper and cachet that comes with being a HBO show, but I find that Tales from the Darkside and Outer Limits are more consistent across the board.

I just can't get into shit like American Horror Story because it's too pretentious and slickly produced; nothing can replicate the atmosphere of late 80's, 90's and early 00's for these kinds of shows, when special effects techniques were still being perfected and hadn't jumped the shark.

If anyone wants me to recommend the best episodes, I will, because I know what's really good, I know what's really shit and I know what's subjective to my own tastes.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members
On 16/01/2018 at 11:52 PM, JNLister said:

My theory may no longer be valid.

There's only a pube's width in it but I'd still go with #2 as the best of the series. The third one is very clever but the second one was near perfect telly. Incredible dialogue and timing and such  work put into the back story.