What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Just checked 4-5 pages back but canā€™t see a mention for it, Iā€™ve just watched the first 3 episodes of McMafia on BBC. Iā€™m not sure yet, I think itā€™s going to be good, it feels like it should be, Iā€™m just not completely convinced yet. Episode 2 is probably the best of the first 3 so far, so this weeks felt a bit weak in comparison.

• Awards Moderator

2 episodes in on this series of Inside No. 9 and it really is flawless. The genius of making us so touched by the characters in under 30 minutes is incredible.Ā 

Without giving too much away, the transition from (intentionally) shit comedy to actual good comedy in the same act is so deft it staggers me.Ā 

• Paid Members

They appear to have that Hard Sun series from the people that did Luther on the iPlayer. I watched some of Luther and it's pretty darned good. I really should get back to it. Anybody watched Hard Sun? It's billed as a "pre-apocalyptic" cop drama?

• Moderators

You reckon? I watched the first 4 I think (may have started the fifth), and it had really fallen off hard by the time I jacked it in. The first two or three though, were just fantastic tv.

Anyone ever watched the US version? I saw it on Netflix the other day, and stuck it on and just hearing the Frank Gallagher opening monologue delivered in an American accent just felt so wrong I knocked it off. Is it like the Office where it develops its own voice and is actually good?

I haven't watched it myself but I've heard a fair few people say it's better than the UK version.

Did anyone catch the start of the new X Files season? If you thought the show jumped the shark decades ago then it just did a 720 backflip with a melon air over it, great fun but what the fuck.

• Paid Members
On 1/9/2018 at 10:42 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

I can't recommend tonight's Inside No. 9 highly enough. It's only just finished, and I'm having to restrain myself from immediately putting it back on again. I think the content/setting of this one is right up the wheelhouse of a lot of us here too.

Looks like a continuation of the second in the series being the best, following on from A Quiet Night In, Twelve Days Of Christine and The Bill, which would surely make up the greatest ever showreel.

Zero BAFTAs to date. Ludicrous.

• Paid Members
On ā€Ž09ā€Ž/ā€Ž01ā€Ž/ā€Ž2018 at 10:42 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

I can't recommend tonight's Inside No. 9 highly enough. It's only just finished, and I'm having to restrain myself from immediately putting it back on again. I think the content/setting of this one is right up the wheelhouse of a lot of us here too.

Watched it last night. The first 2 eps have been nigh on perfect for me. I adore this programme, it's as good as it gets. The balance of pathos & laughs was spot on.

• Paid Members
On 09/01/2018 at 10:42 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

I couldn't restrain myself and I did put it back on again immediately. If you've watched any TV this week and you haven't watched this then you have wasted your time.Ā 

• Paid Members

I've finally gotten started with The Orville. The homage to and love for 90s Star Trek is obvious, but the first few episodes appear to have a realĀ tonal problem with the awkward humour.that jars andĀ upsets the flow of the episode. I just hope it findsĀ the right balanceĀ over time as it seems likeĀ a great show at the core.