What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator

I think you're right @tiger_rick, #3 was excellent and a clever construct, but #2 had the emotional hook that gives it another edge.

It's one of the few programmes I'm watching live at the moment. After each show they trail the next one with a movie poster, which is an incredible amount of work for something that's barely seen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qtt18/p01tb9yh

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of Britannia. Started off quite promisingly, but inevitably it ended up feeling like a cheap Game of Thrones knock off, but with more facepaint. The cheapness factor wasn't really helped by having two prominent roles to actors I associate with terrible comedies; Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing) and Zoë Wanamaker (My Family).

I associate both of them with My Family above anything else, and I don't think I've ever even watched an episode of it. It's a good thing for Ian McKellen's legacy that his own ITV shitcom We're Gay and Old LOL wasn't as long-running.

Edit: Sorry Beeb.

Edited by King Pitcos

2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

You say that, but iconic roles can be overshadowed by later cack. Robert Lindsey was Citizen Smith, for frig's sake, and if someone ever mentions Citizen Smith, I don't even think of Robert Lindsey at all. I think of Carbomb.

Plus, had it not been for X-Men and LOTR, most nerds on here wouldn't have known who he was anyway, he got famous late in life unlike Robert Lindsey.  McKellen may be a fine actor of stage and screen, but he will always be the vampire in the video for Heart by Pet Shop Boys to me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

McKellen may be a fine actor of stage and screen, but he will always be the vampire in the video for Heart by Pet Shop Boys to me.

My god there's a TIL for me. I watched the Pet Shop Boys music video hundreds of times as a kid as well.

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Watching through Brooklyn 99 season four on Netflix. I'm not the biggest fan of the show but it's really an easy thing to watch or have in the background. I *hate* Gina. She's insufferable as a character. 

I used to enjoy watching this weekly but then Jake and Amy got together and it all went down hill.

Holt and Charles are cracking characters though.

• Paid Members

I know I'm about 20 years to late, but I've started watching Seinfeld on Amazon Prime. They're such awful people, except for Kramer. Can't make my mind up over whether Elaine is hot or not. I'm such a Philestine.

• Paid Members
On 11/01/2018 at 6:59 PM, wordsfromlee said:

The Detectorists is one of those rare shows that absolutely nails their last ever episode. It's just ends so perfectly. I think I'd be annoyed if they did any more.

I finally watched the last two episodes and was immediately sad that had because now I'll never get to look forward to it again. Agree completely with the above. It'd be a shame if there were ever anymore because this was the perfect way to finish it.

I can't convey how much I loved the show. **SMALL SPOILERS** In the penultimate episode when Andy climbed the tree and didn't see the coins, I was genuinely annoyed for him. Woke up two nights later thinking "Why didn't he just climb higher?" I was that invested in it. Long time since any show has made me feel like that.