What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Add me to the pro Everything Sucks! camp.

The performances are really good. The kids who play Luke and McQuaid being especially good. I'll confess to maybe being easily swayed considering I was the 15 year old indie/mosh outcast kid at school, exactly when this was set, so there were large servings of 'relate' being served up but yeah it's decent.

29 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Seriously?

I stuck it on and didn't make it more than five minutes it because I thought it was fucking terrible. Trying to be like the Goldbergs for the 90s but with none of the charm, or decent writing.

The intro music alone was so fucking hacky in a "look at all this stuff from the 90s" way it really turned me off.

Maybe I'll have to go back and give it more of a chance. But I suspect I'm right and the two of you have rubbish taste! :p

Try watching it in the afternoon or evening and see if that makes a difference.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Seriously?

I stuck it on and didn't make it more than five minutes it because I thought it was fucking terrible. Trying to be like the Goldbergs for the 90s but with none of the charm, or decent writing.

The intro music alone was so fucking hacky in a "look at all this stuff from the 90s" way it really turned me off.

Maybe I'll have to go back and give it more of a chance. But I suspect I'm right and the two of you have rubbish taste! :p

See, I was with Chest after the first episode, thought it was very average. Done . couple more and it's getting better, but I'm far from blown away. Unlike Stranger Things, where the nostalgic setting compliments the story without being overly suffocating, at times Everything Sucks pushes it down your throat,, even though the time period isn't actually that crucial to the main plotlines. It feels like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake at points.

It's not bad, and I'm hoping to warm to it further as it goes on, but three episodes in I'm not super excited for the rest of the season. 

Did anyone see 24 Hours in Police Custody? Some of the best documentary TV going. They're always brilliant.

Mum is back on BBC2 tonight. The first series flew under the radar but it was one of the best comedies I've seen in years. Made by the same guy who did Him & Her. Thoroughly recommended!

• Paid Members

Agree on Mum, Lee. I really liked the first series. Haven't seen last nights.

I did catch up with the first episode of Hold the Sunset. John Cleese's first sitcom since Fawlty Towers. It got an audience of 6m which apparently is good these days. My reaction to it was "I dunno". I couldn't understand half of what John Cleese said. And I'm not really sure what the rest of it is supposed to be. Started with a strange scene with an argument that wasn't really an argument about a dog pissing up a tree and then moved on to the bloke from Trollied as some sort of man/child. I'll give it another go but I'm currently puzzled why after all these years, Cleese took on this.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Agree on Mum, Lee. I really liked the first series. Haven't seen last nights.

I did catch up with the first episode of Hold the Sunset. John Cleese's first sitcom since Fawlty Towers. It got an audience of 6m which apparently is good these days. My reaction to it was "I dunno". I couldn't understand half of what John Cleese said. And I'm not really sure what the rest of it is supposed to be. Started with a strange scene with an argument that wasn't really an argument about a dog pissing up a tree and then moved on to the bloke from Trollied as some sort of man/child. I'll give it another go but I'm currently puzzled why after all these years, Cleese took on this.

It's pretty much the exact same sitcom as As Time Goes By. Old biddies having their Autumn years ruined by their adult kids. Cleese was on radio two and it's created by one of his old mates. 

I'd have thought the Python royalties would keep him in good stead like.

• Paid Members

Well, second unpopular opinion, I'm not a big fan of the Lord Flashheart character. I thought it was terrible in the first series and, though better in Forth, still not great. Woof. 

Edit: Second, not first. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Just want to thank those who mentioned "Mum". I missed it when it first aired, but gave it a go after it was mentioned on the last page. 

Love it! It's another one of those sitcoms where you start to genuinely care about the characters.  

• Paid Members

Caught the first episode of series 2 of "Mum". Still excellent. Lesley Manville is outstanding and the character is lovely. Just living her life while this cast of morons float in and around her.

Saw a show called "Damned" for the first time. I think Jo Brand writes it. It was the first epiosde of series 2. It has a strong cast and was quite funny. It's set in a social services office. It's as cliche as you'd imagine but the dialogue is reasonable and the characters pretty well defined from the off. Anyone else seen it?

I've been watching Damned@tiger_rick, I'm really enjoying it so far. In my opinion there's no obvious drop from the first series, which is worth catching if you're able to dig it out from somewhere. Some of the one liners they come out with are quite funny. And for anyone that has been/is involved with anything like the NHS/Social Services type environment then there's some really relatable moments 

Edited by squatswithducks
I'm an idiot

• Awards Moderator

Yesterday marked TEN YEARS since the airing of the episode of LOST that made UKFF lose their fucking minds: The Constant.

4f6cd4990a2b34b3ff91c4bb4083fa34.jpg.54c472864119a0111a5ab4f96c812485.jpg

The freighter! Time travel! The painting of the ship! Jim from Neighbours! The Christmas Eve phone call! 

A love story, sci fi brilliance, an amazing way to make sense of the Desmond character. It remains an outstanding hour of television.