What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You really haven't watched much of it have you? Fair enough if you're not into the genre but this is a terrible comparison.

I was thinking the same, what an awful attempt at a comparison. I couldn't think of anything further than what GoT is like than Saw. Oh, they both have the odd gory scene, must be the same.

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Breaking Bad’s first series suffered from the writer’s strike, hence why it’s only 7 episodes.

I strongly disagree with it suffering due to the writer's strike, I think the first series - looking back - served its purpose perfectly. It didn't set the world on fire, but it laid the foundations for fantastic slow-building storylines. I've started rewatching it from the first series, and I'm enjoying the earlier episodes much more now, knowing what happens in the long run.

I think it was the first half of Season 3 that killed it for me, it just slowed down to the point it felt like nothing was happening, and honestly I couldn't give a shit about his relationship with his wife.

I'm aware that the rest of the series is apparently amazing, but I just don't have the enthusiasm to try and go back and pick it up from where I left off.

Is there a comedy thread?  Randomly watched the first of James Acaster's specials on Netflix even though it looked awful in the preview.  It's not - it's really brilliant comedy writing.  The construction of the whole set with all the callbacks and interplays reminded me a lot of Stewart Leee (though his persona couldn't be more different).  The second one was, if anything, even better.

13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I strongly disagree with it suffering due to the writer's strike, I think the first series - looking back - served its purpose perfectly. It didn't set the world on fire, but it laid the foundations for fantastic slow-building storylines. I've started rewatching it from the first series, and I'm enjoying the earlier episodes much more now, knowing what happens in the long run.

When I say “suffered”, I’m not meaning that the first series is bad, not at all. Like you said, it laid the foundation perfectly. It’s just that the writer’s strike coming when it did threw a spanner in the works and meant that they had to work around it with a reduced number of episodes meaning they either had to trim stuff down to fit into S1, or get to a particular point , end S1 there and then incorporate elements of what would have come in S1 into S2 instead.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is there a comedy thread?  Randomly watched the first of James Acaster's specials on Netflix even though it looked awful in the preview.  It's not - it's really brilliant comedy writing.  The construction of the whole set with all the callbacks and interplays reminded me a lot of Stewart Leee (though his persona couldn't be more different).  The second one was, if anything, even better.

They are bloody brilliant, aren't they? I've always quite liked James Acaster when he pops up on panel shows, though never seen his stand-up before this - I was worried that he might be typical of the Mock The Week lot in that he just cut up his routines into gags for that audience, and wouldn't have any decent through-thread for his actual stand-up shows, and couldn't be more wrong. Really pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators

I also saw it pop up and had zero interest in it, but I've seen a few folk recommend them now so I think I best check them out...
Please lfeel free to start a thread for stand up shows if you want. That's be pretty great actually. One of my favourite things about Netflix is the amount of stand up they have.

Yes, I have barely watched GOT but what I've been exposed to when people send me YouTube clips is just gratuitous violence. It is clearly one of the selling points of the show, if not the only one. My take is that it would have a lot less longevity without it.

Have to disagree re: The Wire Season 2. Think it's probably in the top 3 seasons for me. Very relevant for the time period it was made, too. The show was reAlly lagging by Season 5, though.

And for all the talk of how realistic it was, some of the storylines by that point were stretching incredulity.

Breaking Bad is a tiresomely overrated show IMO. Kept trying but struggled to get into it; it didn't help that various character arcs didn't make sense, and various characters were out of place in a show that was trying to portray itself as a serious drama.

• Moderators

The gratuity of the violence could only be ascertained through context, which you wouldn't have from watching a YouTube clip. You're chatting complete bollocks.

Why make recommendations either way on something you haven't actually watched? You just make yourself look stupid.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Yes, I have barely watched GOT but what I've been exposed to when people send me YouTube clips is just gratuitous violence. It is clearly one of the selling points of the show, if not the only one. My take is that it would have a lot less longevity without it.

What a load of old shit. Thousands (millions?) of fans around the world are invested in the characters, which is clearly evident, proves that you're talking nonsense.

Just now, tiger_rick said:

I don't watch GOT but I have seen clips and the violence is definitely not the selling point of the show.

"Tits and Dragons" is the usual summary, with one big battle per season.  I actually gave up on it after season 5 because I realised I didn't care about any of the characters (Brienne excluded).  Same reason I gave up on Sons Of Anarchy and Lost.

I'm not sure I've watched a full episode of GoT but my friends and my brother send various clips and sometimes I half watch it when it's on TV.

Ye may be right. Maybe I should watch half a dozen episodes before making a judgment call on it, but from what I've seen it pushes the envelope of what should be acceptable on television (rape, incest, offensive stuff involving babies).

Ballsy how they wrote out Sean Bean's character, though.