What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Cracking through Black Mirror's latest offerings over the last two evenings. Very good so far, with stand out being 'Hang the DJ'.

After last seasons, San Junipero having such an uplifting feel and ending, I'm glad Brooker has seen sense to continue the trend of endings that aren't just horrific tales of human nature.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Cracking through Black Mirror's latest offerings over the last two evenings. Very good so far, with stand out being 'Hang the DJ'.

Hide contents

After last seasons, San Junipero having such an uplifting feel and ending, I'm glad Brooker has seen sense to continue the trend of endings that aren't just horrific tales of human nature.

This is my ranking of the S4 episodes:

1. Black Museum, 2. Hang the DJ, 3. USS Callister, 4. Metalhead, 5. Arkangel and 6. Crocodile.

I didn't massively enjoy any of the bottom three, but I think that's the order I'd put it in. 

6 minutes ago, Nexus said:

This is my ranking of the S4 episodes:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Black Museum, 2. Hang the DJ, 3. USS Callister, 4. Metalhead, 5. Arkangel and 6. Crocodile.

I didn't massively enjoy any of the bottom three, but I think that's the order I'd put it in. 

Very similar for me - I really didn't like those last 3 either but the others were worth a watch. 

Arkangel feels like one of those where there might be a disconnect if you're not a parent. I enjoyed it but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

The only clunker for me was Black Museum which just felt a bit too cute for me.

I'm beginning to feel like they need to knock it on the head now though. They're in danger of repeating themselves or being predictable. A few of the plot twists have been visible from miles away this season.

Still a few really good hours of storytelling. 

54 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

King of Queens is an underrated show. Kevin James and Leah Remini have great chemistry and the supporting cast (Jerry Stiller, Patton Oswalt) is good.

James is an underrated physical comedian in the mould of Michael Richards and David Hyde-Pierce IMO.

I hope they make a third Paul Blart movie.

"Alexa, show me an opinion that literally only one person on earth would have"

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

You reckon we'll see a better half hour of telly than Inside No. 9 this year? Fuck me those guys are clever. How do they keep coming up with such great ideas? 

Beat me to it, that was fucking marvellous wasn’t it. I absolutely love this show. I was/am a huge LoG fan, really enjoyed psychoville, but No.9 is possibly the best written and presented show I’ve ever seen. It’s a bit like a game of roulette in our house, in terms of guessing the ‘emotional style’ of next weeks offering. They are all usually funny, dark and heartfelt, but I just love how they massively emphasis one of these elements more so each week.

• Awards Moderator

Not just rhyme, but proper Shakespearen pentameter. I left the telly on afterwards and Evan Davies popped up on Newsnight. It took me a minute to figure out why he wasn't speaking in rhyme, it'd stuck in my head so much. 

• Paid Members

This is not a new thing but I'm re-watching The Sopranos for about the fourth time and isn't it just great? Putting Gandolfini's performance as Tony aside - as great as it is - I don't think there's one character that isn't brilliantly acted. I love this show. It's also interesting to Google this or that character and find out, for example, that they were convicted for a mob related extortion attempt or were involved in the shooting of a cop during a robbery (the kid that played De Niro's son in A Bronx Tale, as well.)

I never understood why the actor who played A.J. got so much shit from people. I like his portrayal of A.J.

James Gandolfini was a great actor, a great physical actor; especially in the scene where Carmela reveals she fantasises about Furio. I love his mannerisms.

So many great performances.

Side note: Edie Falco once went out with Big Brother's Nasty Nick. Couldn't believe it when I heard that.

• Paid Members
On 1/2/2018 at 12:29 PM, Gus Mears said:

I've started watching Still Game again and think I have found it funnier second time around. Without going all 'This song is ALL ABOUT ME', I do think it really hits quite a profound level in what the relationship is like between two best friends, obviously while being incredibly funny while at it. At a time when I am increasingly finding main characters on TV utterly dislikable, it's very pleasant to have two who you can root for again. 

I've only recently discovered this show by accident on Netflix, but me and the mrs and flew through it over the Christmas break. I'd have to echo what you say really, genuinely funny yet pretty simplistic without being broad on a Mrs Brown's Boys level.

I don't think there's been an episode we haven't enjoyed, although the theme tune change for series 7 was a bit of a shock. Winston is my favourite character.